Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After half of a game (the other player refused to keep playing as the game didn't seem to make a lot of sense to him)

1. What is the second card 15 for? The one with the logo on it.

2. I do not see any reason why the upgrade decks can't be simply sorted by number. Can someone give a specific example of why they need to be shuffled?

3. Rules: "In general, it is allowed to have open tracks between any 2 cards of the game board (as long as the previous requirements are met)." I do not understand what this means. Does that mean you can have a base card between two upgraded cards?

4. Why do players care about this rule? "Note: Any card showing an engine is always considered a single share. The number next to the engine only indicates the total number of shares of this color in the respective deck." What difference does it make how many shares are in each deck since you can apparently look in all three decks?

5. Strategy/Tactics question. This rule says "In the determined order, the shareholders take one card each from the top of any deck and add them to their hands. This continues until the bonus payment has been distributed in its entirety." Why do I care what card I put in my hand? What am I looking for here?

6. Rule: "If the number of cards paid out as bonus payment falls short of the number of shareholders, some of the shareholders may receive no payment at all." How can this happen? That would imply to me that all the stacks are gone because of this rule: "In the determined order, the shareholders take one card each from the top of any deck and add them to their hands." The two rules don't make sense to me.

Any help with these questions would be much appreciated!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
After half of a game (the other player refused to keep playing as the game didn't seem to make a lot of sense to him)

2. I do not see any reason why the upgrade decks can't be simply sorted by number. Can someone give a specific example of why they need to be shuffled?

3. Rules: "In general, it is allowed to have open tracks between any 2 cards of the game board (as long as the previous requirements are met)." I do not understand what this means. Does that mean you can have a base card between two upgraded cards?

4. Why do players care about this rule? "Note: Any card showing an engine is always considered a single share. The number next to the engine only indicates the total number of shares of this color in the respective deck." What difference does it make how many shares are in each deck since you can apparently look in all three decks?

5. Strategy/Tactics question. This rule says "In the determined order, the shareholders take one card each from the top of any deck and add them to their hands. This continues until the bonus payment has been distributed in its entirety." Why do I care what card I put in my hand? What am I looking for here?

6. Rule: "If the number of cards paid out as bonus payment falls short of the number of shareholders, some of the shareholders may receive no payment at all." How can this happen? That would imply to me that all the stacks are gone because of this rule: "In the determined order, the shareholders take one card each from the top of any deck and add them to their hands." The two rules don't make sense to me.

1. It's just a promo card. It shows you where the publisher is located in real life. You can play with it or the other 15 card, but not both.

2. Supposedly, an expert at this game would memorize where certain cards are, and be able to "time" their plays.

3. This just means that when you are upgrading track, it's okay if one the tracks leads to nowhere, as long as you kept all the previous connections in tact.

4. It's supposed to speed up game play. If you know all 5 blue shares have already been taken out of a given deck, you know not to even search that deck. I would submit that it's just as fast if not faster to just thumb through the deck.

5. It may be a card with a share in a company you would eventually like to own, or at least like another player not to own. It could be the same for a station. I am with you though. I have not played the game enough yet, for those decisions to be obvious.

6. The number of shares paid out is equal to the number stations visited in the route (including any +1 stations). For example, in a 4 player game, where everyone owns some red stock, and a player makes a train run on his/her turn, and the route only includes 3 stations; then only three shares are paid out. This payout is done one card at a time. In other words, each player would get one card except the person who is fourth in payouts. He would get none. And when it's your turn to take a share, you may pick the top card of any deck.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:

I have read through the rulebook but haven't had a chance to actually play yet so I may be wrong but don't you want to get route and station cards in your hand that you want to build in the future? That way you can play those cards as payment and immediately pick them back up to place them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marstiller wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

I have read through the rulebook but haven't had a chance to actually play yet so I may be wrong but don't you want to get route and station cards in your hand that you want to build in the future? That way you can play those cards as payment and immediately pick them back up to place them?

Yes, that is certainly a good tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marstiller wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

I have read through the rulebook but haven't had a chance to actually play yet so I may be wrong but don't you want to get route and station cards in your hand that you want to build in the future? That way you can play those cards as payment and immediately pick them back up to place them.

But how can you build out of your hand? And thanks much Matt!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
marstiller wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

But how can you build out of your hand? And thanks much Matt!!!

You pay first by placing a card from your hand onto its pile which then makes it available for building. So you could pay with the card you wanted to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional thoughts...

jschlickbernd wrote:

When the players take their payout, they take it from the decks - and always only the topmost card. So it is sometimes important, which card lies on top, for example if you want to prevent a certain station to be built (because it is the only one which could overbuild the one you have many shares of!)

Quote:

And beside speeding up game play: You can count the shares in the decks, on the game board and in the open display of the players - but not in the HANDS of the players! So you never no the total of shares for sure this way (except, of course, you KNOW the total). I would hav preferred a big number for shares in the current deck - and a small number in brackets for the total of shares of this color...

Quote:

Well, some options here are VERY obvious. For example: If the current main station is in the "red" stage and in a color I have the most shares of, I really want to take the blue (neutral) main station so that nobody can build it!
Same goes for shares, or other stations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
jschlickbernd wrote:

1. Promo card, it is identical to the original in all ways, just exclusive to the project backers

2. Upgrading stations frequently changes their colour, which changes the share price of certain companies. Taking share payouts gives you cards in your hand. You want to time payouts so that you get the cards in your hand that your opponents will use to hurt your companies by taking their stations away, or you want to lock cards into your hand that you will then use for building later, since you can discard a card as payment then build with it.

3. It's saying you can run track into the side of another base card. Think of it like 18xx, where you are allowed to run track into another hex even though there is no track for it to join to, but you may connect the track later. You cannot, however, run track off the map (except in the US variant, as noted)

4. It's not a vital rule but it's useful information to know how many shares are available total and which decks they are in.

5. See answer to 2

6. Not at all, if you have 3 share in play owned by three players, yet the 3 card route only hits 2 stations then there will only be 2 cards paid out, thus the 3rd shareholder in turn order won't get a payout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.