Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any games out there that would be appropriate for a lawyer (my daughter-in-law specializes in real estate law). I was considering For Sale because of the real estate aspect. Is there anything better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
ASL, she can stay up nights reviewing the rules, making notes in the margins. She'll love it, trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
ASL, she can stay up nights reviewing the rules, making notes in the margins. She'll love it, trust me.

LAWYER not masochist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Crow
msg tools
Test
Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
She might be interested in Mao or Nomic. Mao involves making up rules, not telling people except when they break them, and forcing them to deduce them. Nomic is a game all about setting up rules and laws.

Zendo might be a good fit as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get her something completely, as-far-away-as-you-can-imagine different than anything she might see at work. That would be my advice.

Sharing her profession, I prefer these types of games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Suburbia? Awesome city building game that is pretty thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
FightOnGoBlue wrote:
Get her something completely, as-far-away-as-you-can-imagine different than anything she might see at work. That would be my advice.

Sharing her profession, I prefer these types of games

I played Agricola with three relatives in law-related jobs and they thoroughly enjoyed it. Just get her a good game, not necessarily a 'law-related' game.

As quoted, people often want fun not related to their daily routine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Point Of Law

Legal Decision, by Gotti games (yeah, I think it's put
out by a relative of the mob family), has a really intriguing
concept - but it's a fatally broken game, which would require a
lot of effort to really make it work. With only one case,
you'd acquire too much information about the case in playing
around with it to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front?
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad's a real estate lawyer. He likes poker, cribbage, chess . . .

Pretty sure he just likes doing things in his downtime that DON'T involve his highly demanding job, though . . .

Lawyers can kinda come from any walk of study. Not sure that's much to go on for game recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez. I'm a lawyer. How about Terra Mystica, Keyflower, Snowdonia, Archipelago, or some other hot new game. Why force a lawyer themed game down her throat.

(Although, I'm the Boss! might have a certain appeal to the deal making attorney.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's great that you're putting so much thought into a game for your daughter and I'm sure she'll appreciate whatever you pick. I wouldn't worry too much about shoving any game down her throat. Just pick something you think she might like whatever the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a lawyer but I don't find that my profession informs my game preferences directly. My favourite games do tend to be ones with a lot of depth (and concomitantly complex rules) so perhaps the mindset that leads one to the profession maps to the hobby.

Here are some of the games that really do it for me:

Brass
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Battlestar Galactica
Taluva
A Game of Thrones
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game
Steam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waylander1 wrote:
Geez. I'm a lawyer. How about Terra Mystica, Keyflower, Snowdonia, Archipelago, or some other hot new game. Why force a lawyer themed game down her throat.

(Although, I'm the Boss! might have a certain appeal to the deal making attorney.)

A Trojan and a lawyer? Excellent. Fight on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to pick a new CCG (if there still is such a thing). Why? Because of all the card and rule interactions that can be argued about. I'm actually pretty serious about this one. Back when I played my favorite CCG I really liked figuring out solutions to the community's rules problems...

Failing that a rules-heavy thematic game is the next best thing. I've also thought of Battlestar Galactica, but only if she can reliably get 5 or 6 people together for it.

From my perception of a lawyer's job I'd expect them to have a disposition for learning things and deduction. The former would point the more complex games (as Amuk suggested himself). Deduction could be found in Battlestar Galactica as well. Other suggestions could be BSG-light aka "The Resistance" or Hanabi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
As a lawyer who also games with other lawyers, we try to get games that are unrelated to work. For me and my gaming group, gaming provides an escape from our jobs. On the other hand, we have yet to come across a good, law-related game .

That being said, my gaming group prefers games on the medium/heavy side. Games like Arkham Horror, Twilight Struggle, Puerto Rico, and Hawaiiare in our usual rotation.

If your daughter-in-law is just new to board games, I've introduced the following games to non-gaming lawyers with success:

Fluxx
Ticket to Ride
Revolution!
Puerto Rico

Bottom line, lawyers tend to have similar tastes in board games as anyone else. If she's fairly new to boardgames, then I would suggest any of the tried and true gateway games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.