Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a number of 5-player games, also a variable sized group.

Can anyone who's played both these games talk about their preference in regard to each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Liberte so I can't give an opinion as to how they stack up against each other but I can comment on Cyclades. We recently picked it up and have played a few games now (3/4/5 player). It has been really well received so far. It has a lot of different things in it that I think make it appeal to a wide range of gamers. It is well balanced. The only thing we felt after a few plays is that as there are set starting locations that some colours seem to get a decided advantage, but we can also see how as you get more familiar with the strategy that you might be able to off set this using a different strategy when you are certain colours. We have talked about making house rules where you pick starting spots so that you end up with the same starting number of cornucopia.

The first 5 player game we played took almost 3hours, but I think we could have shaved an hour off the time had one guy been paying more attention to the game and less attention to his phone. Our first 4 player game took about 1.5hrs and that was with 2 new players. So it seems like it is playable in a good time frame and I can see how the more you play the more your strategy will evolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've played both, dislike both to different degrees. I would play Liberte again; it has some strange end game conditions that seem to just... happen! But it is strategic, and you're in it until the end simply because of the multiple win conditions. I hated Cyclades - I will never voluntarily play again. I've only played once, BUT it sure seems that (5 player) games will fall into one of two general categories.

(1) A player will jump seem to be a threat to win; they're taken out; whoever takes them out will be at a SIGNIFICANT advantage

(2) Players will sort of circle each other, building up armies/navies/temples/etc., attacking here and there, basically maintaining parity; game takes FOREVER

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
I've played both, dislike both to different degrees. I would play Liberte again; it has some strange end game conditions that seem to just... happen! But it is strategic, and you're in it until the end simply because of the multiple win conditions. I hated Cyclades - I will never voluntarily play again. I've only played once, BUT it sure seems that (5 player) games will fall into one of two general categories.

(1) A player will jump seem to be a threat to win; they're taken out; whoever takes them out will be at a SIGNIFICANT advantage

(2) Players will sort of circle each other, building up armies/navies/temples/etc., attacking here and there, basically maintaining parity; game takes FOREVER

In the 5 player game we played everyone went uber defensive and it was a massive boring stalemate. The 4 player game we played my wife had already played a 3 player game and lost and was determined she was too passive in her first game so took a very aggressive strategy. This influenced of one the new player and what I found was the game was totally different. It is a chess match in a way as you really need to plan out your strategy as you need a combination of gods to do anything. I find the game is more about the strategy of the bidding board than anything else.

Personally I think this game can suffer big time if you play it with the wrong type of people. I am still not sure what is better 4 or 5 player. I will say that I did enjoy the 4 player more, but wonder if with a different group that the 5 player experience wouldn't be better due to all the gods being open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both.

I played Cyclades once (3 players). It was fun and I would probably play it again. I don't own the game and don't anticipate purchasing it. It has a few interesting mechanisms (bidding for the favor of the gods to help you on your turn), but ultimately not enough for it to stand out to me as one I need.

I LOVE Liberte! This is one of my favorite games. If 5 is your usual gaming number, you should give it a try. The game is not complicated but as mentioned above it certainly does reward strategic thinking. The only downside with this one is that for some reason I seem to have difficulty teaching it. I'm a decent game teacher with most games, but this one always gives me trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
I have not played Liberte so I can't give an opinion as to how they stack up against each other but I can comment on Cyclades. We recently picked it up and have played a few games now (3/4/5 player). It has been really well received so far. It has a lot of different things in it that I think make it appeal to a wide range of gamers. It is well balanced. The only thing we felt after a few plays is that as there are set starting locations that some colours seem to get a decided advantage, but we can also see how as you get more familiar with the strategy that you might be able to off set this using a different strategy when you are certain colours. We have talked about making house rules where you pick starting spots so that you end up with the same starting number of cornucopia.

The first 5 player game we played took almost 3hours, but I think we could have shaved an hour off the time had one guy been paying more attention to the game and less attention to his phone. Our first 4 player game took about 1.5hrs and that was with 2 new players. So it seems like it is playable in a good time frame and I can see how the more you play the more your strategy will evolve.

The cyclades expansion: Hades contained several modules one of which was the ability to select your starting locations, it does make the game seem more fair. In it you select one island than everyone else selects one and then you select your second. Selection order is determined by of course bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We found Cyclades an excellent 4-5 player game. Quick moving, full of decisions, great components, fun!.

Yes, the Hades expansion provides choosing starting locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
monchichi wrote:

The cyclades expansion: Hades contained several modules one of which was the ability to select your starting locations, it does make the game seem more fair. In it you select one island than everyone else selects one and then you select your second. Selection order is determined by of course bidding.

I hadn't read what Hades brings to the table yet but I think picking locations makes a lot of sense as then people can't blame a "poor" starting location. The only reason I haven't picked it up or looked into it more is that Hades costs almost the same as the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group absolutely loves Cyclades. The bidding for the gods and making the best with what you get is fun. Putting together the right combinations with the Mythological Creatures powers rewards planning. There really is strategic thinking needed to win the game. Each winner has been met with applause for finding the winning combination to the game. Playing it once or twice is not enough to truly evaluate the game.

Liberte is a card game and honestly, sometimes you just don't get the cards. But you don't feel out of it because there aren't that many points scored. I would never play with 6; 4 or 5 is about right. Again skill gained through game play is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Cyclades although I should have.

I have played Liberte and really liked it. It's superb especially for Napoleonic period enthusiasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has to be one of the most torturous decisions I've ever had to make. I'll sleep on your comments tonight, and try to make a final decision by tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I couldn't afford the Hades expansion, I went with Liberte.

I'll just have to make a guy in my hometown gaming group bring Cyclades all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.