Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: game recommendation for teacher gift rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bee me
msg tools
hey there are so many wonderful games I thought I might buy a couple for teachers gifts this Christmas. Are there any $25 or less that could be recommended? This is for them to take home to enjoy with family and friends, not for the classroom. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
G'day, you might find this year's gift guide helpful. Prices are indicated on it too.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Board_Game_Gift_Guide_201...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill R
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always enjoyed Ticket to ride but that is out of the price range, Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers is another one I like and it seems to be $24.99 at amazon right now. Stone Age is another favorite but out of the price range. San Juan We also play alot around here it is a quicker game though and it is just over $20 on Amazon.

Well Two hit all the parameters your looking for. BTW I have been teaching for 19 years, and my kids are 11 and 8 if that helps you at all?
Just wondering when you mentioned it was for home instead of classroom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as a teacher who brought a bunch of games to our end-of-the-semester potluck, I can attest to Wits & Wagers being a huge hit.

This was teachers playing with teachers, mind, but it was almost universally adored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, most teachers I know aren't gamers and in fact, are hesitant to play games (much like my family and other people I meet). Searching out game recommendation threads for games for non-gamers would be the best thing to do.

I would suggest sticking to relatively easy games to learn and explain that may have some classroom application. I know you said "not for the classroom" but you have to be realistic---it may happen. It's what we do.

If you can find it, I would suggest Keesdrow as many teachers enjoy word games I find.

Lost Cities, Fauna, Dixit and Dvonn have all been hits with my staff members and fit your price range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I always give Dixit to the folks I love. (Following Rab's example)

$23 delivered I think.

Original review thread for thumbing/comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of gamers seem to be teachers. Do you know if your children's teachers play boardgames? I see you're a new user. If so, the first thing I would do is see if I could find your teachers' accounts on BGG. Then you could see what games your children's teachers already own and enjoy. You will also be able to check out any games they might have on wishlists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm a teacher, and I'll suggest some games that I love playing with friends & family, but I also enjoy bringing into my classroom to share with my students:

No Thanks! - a great 10 minute card game
Wits & Wagers - my favorite trivia type game
Word on the Street - a great word game for two teams
Dixit: Odyssey - very cool game if you have 4 or more people
Chess - it's very satisfying playing on a large board with large heavy pieces (I use a roll-up board and Staunton triple-weighted chessmen, 3 inch king, all of which was ~$15 on Amazon)

Cheers,
Conan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Ovcen
United States
Boynton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a teacher, does that mean you want to buy me a game too $25 is quite a bit of money to spend, especially if you're buying for more than one teacher. I usually get hand soap, coffee gift cards/mugs, homemade goodies, or little stockings filled with candy from my students but there have been some really great gifts too! One year, a student gave me a scratch off card that won me $1,000. I think that it's great that you're trying to find something that they can use with their families and friends.

What about:
Forbidden Island
The Resistance
Castle Panic
Kakerlakenpoker
Archaeology

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple that quickly come to mind are Gloomand Saboteur. These games are easy to get into, handle a good number of players and well under your $25 mark. Also I just noticed Chaos Isle is on sale bundled with all 5 of its expansions for $20 (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/895795/zombies-for-chris...), which seems like a very low price. Any of these games should fit your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a middle school teacher and a gamer. My favorite game with a smallish price tag is Race for the Galaxy (only get that one for a real strategy gamer). For a non-regular gamer I would suggest Carcassonne, Wits and Wagers, and Dixit. Cards against Humanity might be appropriate for a high school teacher. Some good games that could be used in a Math class are Set and Got It!. Have you also considered supporting your local game store and giving a gift certificate/card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a teacher and I can tell you the BEST gifts I get are Amazon gift cards. I'm a gamer so there are tons of choices on there in terms of games to buy, but it also lets me buy books, dvds, or basically anything else I could want. You can NEVER go wrong buying a teacher an Amazon gift card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
If you can find any of these under $25:
Consensus
Apples to Apples
TransAmerica
Mystery Rummy: Al Capone
10 Days in Europe or Asia or Africa (often available on sale)
Super Scrabble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a sibling that's a teacher. She really enjoys dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lost cities
Mr. Jack Pocket

My wife is an art teacher and likes those. Math - Knizia games probably

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about For Sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I taught your childrenwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a game for the teacher or for the classroom? I know many teachers request donation for the class instead of personal gifts. I mean, how many teacher mugs or apple ornaments does a person need!

But, you've received some good suggestions: Forbidden Island, Apples to Apples, Dixit are all good choices.

I also suggest a dexterity game like Villa Paletti. I gave my kids' elementary school teachers Rory's Story Cubes this year.

And, as a teacher, I think you are pretty awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.