Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am a fan of Carcassonne, and I am thinking of getting back into it with the cool new series of small expansions that can add a small twist to just the base game, keeping the game as it should be. The biggest detriment though is of course getting my group to play it. The reason for them, like many other hardcore gamers, is the randomness of the tile draw.

I then thought of another game I own with similar sized tiles, Glen More. Glen More has a unique time track in which tiles are laid around a circular path. Whoever is at the back of the path gets to move to any tile they want and take it. Then, the new back player moves, which means play order is constantly shifting.

How do you guys think a variant like that would fit into basic Carcassonne? Unlike Glen More, I would imagine skipped tiles could go back into the pool to later be put on the time/tile track until they are all used. It seems to me like this would potentially add quite a bit of strategy to the game.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. You should try it, and report back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Ralf
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a really interesting idea! The only "problem" I would see is that the table would be filled with tiles even before the game starts, but that's not a big deal if you have a nice big playing space. Maybe only have 10-15 tiles open as a "timeline"? I will see if I can try this variant today as well

Another idea would be to have 6 (or any number you would like) tiles open at all times which players can pick from. This would be more strategic with 2 players than it would be with 5 players though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Roberts
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting, but I really don't think the game needs it.

The skill is in using whatever tile comes up in the most effective way, not in having everything available to you and getting the exact piece you want.

That's too easy, and far from hardcore strategy (imho).

[edit to add]
As I say though, it does sound like an interesting option, and if it gets your group to play this with you, well good luck with it.
Let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NezRobbo wrote:
... if it gets your group to play this with you...
That's the key right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Ralf
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NezRobbo wrote:
Sounds interesting, but I really don't think the game needs it.

The skill is in using whatever tile comes up in the most effective way, not in having everything available to you and getting the exact piece you want.

That's too easy, and far from hardcore strategy (imho).

[edit to add]
As I say though, it does sound like an interesting option, and if it gets your group to play this with you, well good luck with it.
Let us know how it goes.

I don't think this variant is just a "pick the tile you like". Because of the fact that the pawn that is in last place on the "timeline" will go next, it would be a terrible mistake to skip 10 tiles just to get a tile you like. The next player would have a chance to get anywhere between 1-10 turns before it's your turn again. So you are faced with a choice every turn: do you grab that piece that is 5 spaces away at the cost of skipping a few turns?

Still haven't had a chance to try this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.