Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind, see my other reviews here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/the-purge-revie...?

Conclusion:

I like this game. I never liked card games that much; I'm more of a board gamer. Lately though, I have been playing more and more card games. This is a reflection of the fact they are normally quicker to play and the deck building genre is in nearly every single game.

This game is a game that has life becomes of its theme. The super hero theme has no less than 3 deck building games (Sentinels, Legendary) (Marvel), DC). Is that necessary? Maybe, maybe not.

I may write a review some day comparing the three, but this will be just be a review of this game (only).

This is a game that lives and dies on the theme. The game really doesn't add anything new to the genre or the theme. If you like a simple, clean deck building game with a great theme, but doesn't add anything new, then this is the game for you. This is not a knock on the game; in fact, I am in the minority that believes not every game has to be X with a twist or add a new ground breaking mechanic. Legendary does none of these, by the way.

The game is not without its flaws (same artwork used over and over, set up and break down time, etc..) but it is a very fun and easy to pick up game. The cards are not overloaded with icons you need to decipher or too much text. For the most part, you can play with nearly anyone.

The game is a co-op with some competitive issues through in. You don't really get to "own" the characters, instead you bring them to a fight you are in.

Overall, I like this game. I like how simple it is. I like the theme. I like how it scales and I like all the different combinations. I am looking forward to an expansion even if the first one is more of the same.

Components:

You get a nice looking, functional board, a ton of cards, and a rule book. A game like this will be accepted based on the cards. The cards are of good stock and I like the art used. The only complaint about the art is it is reused in the game a lot (one picture of Spider Man for all the Spidey cards).

Other than this minor complaint, I have very little issues with the cards. Everything is of good stock and should allow you to use it for years.

Rule Book:

I found the rule book to be very clear. I was able to lay out the cards and learn to play but just playing a solo game. Even so, I don't feel the game is that hard to learn to play with one reading. A few of the cards work together and a few concepts (like colors) could be better explained. In all fairness, I did look to the "geek" to answer a few questions.

Overall, I'd say the rule book is pretty good, in full color, and explains the game well.

Flow of the Game:

I will not explain the rules, instead I will just explain the flow of the game to give you an idea how the game is played and to give you a feel of the game.

1. As with most deck builders, you start with 10 cards and shuffle your cards and get 5 in your hands.

2. A villain card is revealed. He can push other villain cards forward to move them in other places in the city. If they make it to the end of the line, they escape and you are "hurt" by this (i.e. lose cards).

3. There are 5 cards laid out that you can "buy" (this is how you get super heroes (like Iron Man or the Hulk).

4. You use the cards you have in hand to buy super heroes and/or to fight villains.

In competitive mode, you get "points" for beating villains and for saving bystanders. As a co-op, you just want to beat the master mind (there are a few included in this core set). Each master mind has 4 cards you have to beat (i.e. you have to beat him 4 times).

This is the flow of the game in a nutshell. There are other rules and exceptions, but I don't want to bog down this review with the exceptions.

The flow of the game is like most deck builders: shuffle your cards in hand, draw 5, use those cards to buy other cards/fight bad guys. Discard all cards and repeat. It might feel like you have seen this game before, the reason is you have.

Should I buy this game?

If you like card games and super heroes, then yes. If you like super heroes, then yes. If you are buying this just for the mechanics, then I'd play it before buying. Everything works here and works fine, but you might have seen it before. For me, this survives the purge.

EDIT: After more and more plays, Legendary has become of my favorite games. I've been playing it more and more. This game is a keeper that I am unlikely to ever get rid of. The game really grows on you after more and more plays. In addition, with the number of villains and schemes, there is a lot of re-playability.

My only real issue with Legendary as a whole is the fact that it doesn't scale well. With 4-5 players, this game is very hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
The super hero theme has no less than 3 deck building games (Sentinels, Legendary) (Marvel), DC)

Sentinels of the Multiverse is not a deck building game in any sense of the word (well, it does have decks of cards, but that's it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The purge"? It would seem rather odd to buy a game the week it is released with the possibility of purging it immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

1. As with most deck builders, you start with 10 cards and shuffle your cards and get 5 in your hands.

Actually, you start with 12 cards (8 agents + 4 Troopers) and draw 6.

william4192 wrote:
I like how it scales and I like all the different combinations.

Just another thought: more data is required, but it would seem that the game doesn't scale linearly at all once you get to 5 players. It's quite simple with 1, 2 or 3 players, but seems to be *extremely* difficult (depending on the villain/scheme combo) with 5.

Tim

Edit: Add comment about scalability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Agreed. Tim has obviously seen this thread, but for others who are interested see this thread for more on scaling.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/894877/legendary-can-be-brut...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
"The purge"? It would seem rather odd to buy a game the week it is released with the possibility of purging it immediately.

I will purge if I don't like it. I'm that ruthless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I'm the same. Games that don't strike me as amazing or at least highly favored by the people I play with go bye-bye real fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
dcorban wrote:

I will purge if I don't like it. I'm that ruthless

Yep quality over quantity for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game a few more times and I wanted to leave a few more comments:

1. I liked this game a lot more after a couple of more plays.

2. It did seem easy to get ahead and stay a head.

3. I'm not really sold on the mastermind part of the game. The part I don't like is how quick it can be to beat the mastermind. There should be more than four.

4. I don't like how you fight multiple times on a turn. It makes it too easy to score a lot of points fast.

5. The mastermind is not really that much more powerful than a "regular" villain.

6. I'm okay with not being "one" hero. Instead, you help control a team of heroes. It works in this game.

7. I really do like this game. What I mean is I actually have fun playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

The game really doesn't add anything new to the genre or the theme. If you like a simple, clean deck building game with a great theme, but doesn't add anything new, then this is the game for you.

I disagree. The city track is a new mechanic that is thematically perfect, as are the bystanders and the schemes. I'd say Legendary brings more quality new mechanics to the table than most deck builders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
william4192 wrote:

The game really doesn't add anything new to the genre or the theme. If you like a simple, clean deck building game with a great theme, but doesn't add anything new, then this is the game for you.

I disagree. The city track is a new mechanic that is thematically perfect, as are the bystanders and the schemes. I'd say Legendary brings more quality new mechanics to the table than most deck builders.

I don't know if I agree with this statement totally, but I do like this game and I like it more I play it. It is a little easy (yes there are rules to make it harder), but I do like this game and am starting to like it even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.