Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Strong
United States
Springville
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If I am understanding the rules correctly, you cannot Buy when you play a tactician unless the money comes from action cards. (you would have to discard your treasure cards in the action phase) Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
jackquimby wrote:
If I am understanding the rules correctly, you cannot Buy when you play a tactician unless the money comes from action cards. (you would have to discard your treasure cards in the action phase) Is that correct?

Sorta. It would be more accurate to say that you cannot use treasure to add coins to make your buys on a turn you played a tactician (which isn't technically 100% correct because there are some very unusual instances which with the correct cards you could use treasure in the same turn you used tactician but they are very rare so don't worry about them)

However the spirit of what you said is correct in that you can only make buys using money from action cards (don't worry about those rare cases I hinted at, they are rare, require cards from other sets and will likely never come up unless you explicitly try to make it occur). Of course if you wanted to you could purchase a card that costs 0 even if you had no money from action cards but no one wants to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
… unless one has a Counting House.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
… unless one has a Counting House.

... or a black market, or a golem.

But those are edge cases, where an action card allows you to play your treasure cards before or after discarding your hand. Usually, yes, you are prevented from using your treasures when playing tactician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant if you have a Counting House then you would want to buy a lot of (0-cost) Coppers.

I played a game recently that had Counting House, Cache, and a couple of cards that gave +1 Buy. Score!

Coppers are also useful if you need cheap cards for trashing, for example with Bishop, Spice Merchant, or Trade Route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering how Counting House helped with Tactician, and then I realized you were talking about the side issue of reasons you might want to buy cards that cost 0. Counting House doesn't really combine with Tactician.

My favorite reason to buy cards that cost 0 doesn't really combine well with Tactician either. Buy Curses with Watchtower in hand just so you can trash them and hasten the end of the Curse pile. I don't think I've ever done it as a strategy, and it's probably too slow to be effective in any but the most extreme circumstances, but I enjoy doing it if I happen to have a Watchtower and extra buys. Even if there are no cursers in play. Maybe it would work better 2-player, but I rarely play 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackquimby wrote:

So, literally what's going on here, is Tactician makes you discard your hand. As the buy phase (when you can play treasures) comes after your action phase (when you can play Tactician), you usually won't be able to play your treasures first. But after you discard, you still have your buy phase and possibly a remaining action phase (if you have >=1 action left), so you can still use that.

This can matter quite a lot for the infamous double tactician deck, where you aim to play a tactician every turn and use cards like Festival and the like to give you money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jeffwolfe wrote:
I was wondering how Counting House helped with Tactician, and then I realized you were talking about the side issue of reasons you might want to buy cards that cost 0. Counting House doesn't really combine with Tactician.

How about Golem, Tactician, Counting House?

Play a Golem, draw Tactician and Counting House as your next two actions. Discard your entire hand with Tactician, pick up every Copper with Counting House.

It's probably not a super effective combo, but it looks kind of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:

Play a Golem, draw Tactician and Counting House as your next two actions. Discard your entire hand with Tactician, pick up every Copper with Counting House.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. I was talking about combos that let you play Tactician and Treasure cards in the same turn. I can't think of anything besides Black Market and Golem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:

I'm more a Golem->Tactician/Menagerie person myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.