Hide
9 Posts

7 Wonders: Cities» Forums » General

Subject: Why aren't the black military cards just red? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Los
msg tools
The "city" theme seems a little loose here, especially with cards like the five-shield military card. Shouldn't it be red? And furthermore, shouldn't structures like the Capitol be blue?

I guess the black cards make it a bit easier to sort them out of the deck if you're not playing with Cities, and it gives more power to the other cards which rely on them for effectiveness (like the Guild of Shadows). But it just seems to make the color-coding somewhat arbitrary, putting a crack in the game's thematic integrity.

I really don't know why this mildly bothers me. This might sound weird, but if no one else is bothered by this, then I won't be bothered by it either. But if at least one other person is bothered, then it validates my nitpick and I will continue to be grumbly about it. ...If that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume to make them easier to take out if not wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because certain leaders and guilds are added that give bonuses based on black cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. Tony Melton
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Because certain leaders and guilds are added that give bonuses based on black cards.

Just like there are cards that give points based off how many red cards you have in play, which would get more powerful if they made the Cities military cards red rather than black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that all reasons abowe are correct + they are a bit special military cards:

1.They are rare (max 1 per age)
2.They are stronger that any other military in an age
3.They are paid with gold

The same is true for black "civilian cards.

Important part of the expansion is that it add's some variety to each game and black cards represent this "random" part of the city rather than a specific type of structure (red,blue,green,yellow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Not to mention cards that let you build black cards at discount or for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hard Horse Jam
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Also, a theme of the Cities cards is that they often require coins to build, because cities are where all the money is!

This would seem out of place on any of the base set card colours like red and blue.

It makes sense that mercenaries for hire cost coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO you are all right, but you are missing the OP's point.
There are many reasons why the cards are black, but how does it fit with the theme?
I think it is easy with the military cards:
- red cards are structures
- black cards are people

Not so easy with the civilian cards, because there is no such difference between the blue and the black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Los
msg tools
No worries about the off-kilter responses. To be honest, I wasn't sure quite where I was going with the original post. I was more just gabbing about the thing that was on my mind at the time.

At any rate, The qualm I have is merely cosmetic. Gameplay-wise, it makes sense for the cards to be black, so that the game remains balanced among the colors.

I'll just settle for calling the black theme "game expansion" cards. "Cities/dark side/miscellaneous/a little of everything" is a bit too cumbersome to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.