Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Word on the Street - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UK509U?tag=article-boar... currently at $15.99 so should be available for ~$10.

Later today, Game of Thrones Card Game, HBO edition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1616615885?tag=article-boar... currently at $21.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I keep seeing this Game of Thrones card game coming up in deals. It surprises me that this game has any appeal to BGG gamers that presumably would just want to get the LCG core set (which I think is a horrendously bad game, but I recognize that others seem to enjoy it). What is the appeal of buying this version of the game (aside from the HBO series licensing)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
I keep seeing this Game of Thrones card game coming up in deals. It surprises me that this game has any appeal to BGG gamers that presumably would just want to get the LCG core set (which I think is a horrendously bad game, but I recognize that others seem to enjoy it). What is the appeal of buying this version of the game (aside from the HBO series licensing)?

Cheap (was $14.99 shipped on Amazon the other day), simple, 2 players,and no expansion every month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kurtjr wrote:
BagelManB wrote:

Cheap (was $14.99 shipped on Amazon the other day), simple, 2 players,and no expansion every month.

Cheap I can understand, but nobody is required to buy expansions. You can just get a core set and be fine. The existence of expansions is only a bonus if you later decide you feel you want more cards.

I guess I might be projecting my own feelings onto everyone else but even if a game is good, if I know it's somehow a watered down version of the 'real thing' it's going to make me not like it because psychologically I'll think I'm missing out. My expectation is that the type of people who visit BGG would tend to share that feeling since we're all game snobs but maybe not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$11.99 is the price. I'm still on the fence on this deal. 15% claimed as of 9:03am PST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
BagelManB wrote:
kurtjr wrote:
BagelManB wrote:

Cheap I can understand, but nobody is required to buy expansions. You can just get a core set and be fine. The existence of expansions is only a bonus if you later decide you feel you want more cards.

I guess I might be projecting my own feelings onto everyone else but even if a game is good, if I know it's somehow a watered down version of the 'real thing' it's going to make me not like it because psychologically I'll think I'm missing out. My expectation is that the type of people who visit BGG would tend to share that feeling since we're all game snobs but maybe not.

I am a big fan of the LCG, and I am considering buying this. One is the cheapness, and 2 is the fact that it was created for 2 players. I am not very big on the deck building aspect of card games, but I really enjoyed my first play of GOT:LCG. I felt like the decks we played were a little unbalanced though, and after doing research that seemed to be a common sentiment. In order to create balanced decks, you need 2 core sets. So the fact that this is balanced for 2 players straight out of the box is a big plus for me. And did I mention it is cheap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
Just a bump, GOT is $13.99 and 64% sold out already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - got GoT and figure I can play it with my wife, who loves the series but prefers lighter fare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony T
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's at 90%, better hurry folks if you still want it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Ebert
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks OP, had to give it a shot at that price. Now I just need to talk my wife into giving it a shot. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esok wrote:
$11.99 is the price. I'm still on the fence on this deal. 15% claimed as of 9:03am PST.

which game was this price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.