Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for advice for next game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
We've played BSG a few times but don't play it often (it's been over a year.) I have BSG, Pegasus and Exodus; my impression is that the Cylon Fleet alone swings things too much for the Cylons, while Pegasus alone swings things too much for the humans. We haven't tried any aspect of Exodus other than the cylon fleet.

The people I play with get bored with long games, so shorter is better. I'm not a big fan of the sympathizer, and think 3 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2 or 3 vs. 3 are all too lopsided (so that rules out 4p entirely and means that in 6p you'd have to run down a resource or be doomed.)

I've read some other posts, such as the estimated odds here:

markino wrote:
For reference, here's what I think the ratios are (all 5p games, as written):
Base: 60/40
Pegasus to Kobol: 70/30
Pegasus to NC: 60/40
Exodus CFB to Kobol: 45/55
Exodus CFB to IN: 30/70
Exodus CACs to Kobol: 65/35
Exodus CACs to IN: 40/60 (due to Raider swarm at Crossroads)
Everything CFB to Kobol: 50/50 (but swingy)
Everything CFB to NC: IDK.
Everything CFB to IN: 40/60 (really swingy)
Everything CAC to Kobol: 75/25
Everything CAC to NC: IDK.
Everything CAC to IN: 50/50 (Raider swarm)

So basically I'm looking for the most balanced options which wouldn't take forever for my ADHD game group. Ideally I'd want to do the 5p "Everything CFB to Kobol 50/50", but how long would that take? And if we do run 4p or 6p, how much would that skew things toward the humans? (Maybe I'd want to do Exodus CFB to Kobol with 4p or 6p?) Lastly, what's the general opinion of the "No Sympathizer" variant from FFG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously when you want to have a short game, you should use as little expansion components as possible, especially when your players are inexperienced, which seems to be the case.

Therefore I'd recommend the Base Game. Whether it is more balanced with or without the CFB depends on how good you are at managing it. Note that the quoted percentages refer to a group of really experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Well, I really do want to use my copy of Pegasus (it's never been used and I got it at Christmas...), so how long do you think that will take along with cylon fleet to balance it out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the official no-sympathizer variant if you're playing with 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
Well, I really do want to use my copy of Pegasus (it's never been used and I got it at Christmas...), so how long do you think that will take along with cylon fleet to balance it out?

You shouldn't worry too much about game balance IMO. It is right that Pegasus tilts the balance a little bit in favour of the humans, but with less experienced players the Cylons already have a big adantage.

Edit: How long it will take is very difficult to predict, but you should expect something like four hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing without exp does help with the game if you have players new to everything. However, once people know the game, then you're really not saving that much time. Set up like setting up the crisis deck should be done with others helping. In fact, with my copy, base game takes longer to set up b/c I usually don't have the exp stuff fished out ahead of time.

It's like saying driving from point A to baseville takes 100 miles while going from point A to Exoduston takes 120 miles. Sure, Baseville's closer, but with a game like BSG, you have traffic, and then all bets are off really.

Another thing I've encountered n sme of my groups is new cylons are "afraid" and stay too human, thus, not only do nothing, but end up making it even easier for humans. But if you play with new people, it's hard to know who any of them will be, just like how any gmae of BSG will go with all th card draws and die rolls.

Unfort., there aren't many shortcuts to shorten the game. People who like BSG won't let the game length bother them (that much). Many of the shortening variants to change the game more than some ppl prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
umbaci wrote:
It is right that Pegasus tilts the balance a little bit in favour of the humans, but with less experienced players the Cylons already have a big adantage.

ackmondual wrote:
Another thing I've encountered n sme of my groups is new cylons are "afraid" and stay too human, thus, not only do nothing, but end up making it even easier for humans.

In the games we have played, it seemed like either of these 2 things have happened... human victories with timid cylons not knowing what to do, and other times the humans seemed to have no chance at all.

I think it will work best trying to balance it, and I really do want to play Pegasus + Exodus in some way because I've never done it. If it's too long for them, well too bad. (And it was probably their fault for gabbing and goofing around...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
umbaci wrote:
It is right that Pegasus tilts the balance a little bit in favour of the humans, but with less experienced players the Cylons already have a big adantage.

ackmondual wrote:
Another thing I've encountered n sme of my groups is new cylons are "afraid" and stay too human, thus, not only do nothing, but end up making it even easier for humans.

In the games we have played, it seemed like either of these 2 things have happened... human victories with timid cylons not knowing what to do, and other times the humans seemed to have no chance at all.

I think it will work best trying to balance it, and I really do want to play Pegasus + Exodus in some way because I've never done it. If it's too long for them, well too bad. (And it was probably their fault for gabbing and goofing around...)

Hmmm, yeah, chatting needs to be monitored sine that easeasily adds gametime. Asking about rules or planning out your next moves is fine, but it's easy to get carried away.

[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
Lastly, what's the general opinion of the "No Sympathizer" variant from FFG?

There are a few people on here who don't like it, but I think the general consensus is that it is the simplest, most elegant balance solution for 6-player games. If you are using Pegasus and one player wants to play a Cylon Leader, that's another option, but if not, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Official No-Sympathizer Variant. Ever since I tried it out, I haven't gone back to using the standard Sympathizer rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:
Lastly, what's the general opinion of the "No Sympathizer" variant from FFG?

There are a few people on here who don't like it, but I think the general consensus is that it is the simplest, most elegant balance solution for 6-player games. If you are using Pegasus and one player wants to play a Cylon Leader, that's another option, but if not, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Official No-Sympathizer Variant. Ever since I tried it out, I haven't gone back to using the standard Sympathizer rules.
Similar here.... If teaching newbies, I'd spring for the NS variant. The overall tone here is to leave out exp when palying with newcomers, and while the cylon-symp isn't as complicated as the expansions, supposedly, every little thing you leave out is that much less they need to worry about.

As far as gameplay goes, I haven't played enough to disprove that cylons will win when it's 3v3/2v2 or humans win if it's 4v2/3v1. Until such a time, I'm going with that assessment. Out of sheer thrill, it would be neat to see if you can win as cylons in 2v4, as that seems to give better odds than the humans' 3v3. I guess it can be possible to get a human win 3v3 if you meta-game the game even more.... go from 3 to 6 distance with a surplus of all resources (possible if you jump 1-distance alot). For cylon victory of 2v4, hit fuel or something when it's already low (although good players will notice these things).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.