David Puldon
United States
Miller Place
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Hi All,

Maybe out of boredom or misplaced inspiration I'm thinking of attempting to paint my Descent 2nd Edition Miniatures(all the expansion ones), but I have no idea what I'm doing or what to buy.

I know there are a lot of tutorials about how to paint and I've seen a few so I my question isn't about that. Instead, lets say I have $75-$150 to buy all the supplies necessary to paint...

Is that enough money to start off with?
What do you recommend to buy?(I need paint brushes as well as paints)
With that amount of money can I get a good selection of paints?
etc...

I don't expect wonders on my first try, but I don't necessarily want to have only 5 colors to choose from. If possible I at least want to give this a decent attempt and have the short-fallings come from my skill, not the terrible brushes/paints. I want to try and paint the figures as close as possible to what their character portraits look like. Anyway, any suggestions would be awesome.

Thank you very much,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
75$ should get you a very long way.

If you are totally inexperienced, I suggest you also buy a cheap set of random miniatures that you can test out on first, and see what works for you and what doesnt.

10 colors alone can get you a long way also, since you can mix them at will. My current set of paints is around 20, and I don't need to mix most of the time (I'm lazy!). Most companies that sell paints also have these beginners sets, with 10ish paints to start with. Get one of those (~40-50$) and see how far that takes you on your practice models!

Make sure to pick up a brown and black wash of some kind, as they can work wonders if you learn to use them properly. Don't be shy with using a big fat layer, or several small ones. They can change the color of your base quite a bit, and they are absolutely excellent to bring out natural dark crevices..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And make yourself familiar with the terms dry brushing and wet pallet, two techniques that do not require any skill but will make it appear you have them anyway. cool

Even more important (I can't stress this enough), before you start, make sure your paint is thin enough. Thick paint is very difficult to work with and not easy to remedy. Multiple layers of quickly drying thin paint are much easier to apply, easier to rectify and the result looks a hundred times better.

Oh, one more thing. When painting details or tricky, tiny surfaces, be sure to have paint only on the very tip of your brush. That is after making sure YOUR PAINT IS THIN ENOUGH!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United Kingdom
Bacup
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you have fun David.

http://www.paintingclinic.com/MainClinic.dwt.htm

There are some good articles on there. Make sure you get a few decent brushes if you buy some really nasty ones the bristles will fall out and give you a load of grief.

I don't have Descent yet but when I get it I'll be painting them too - can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello David,

I have only just started painting myself, so my tips will not be for specific brands or somesuch, but rather more general.

First off all, if you have a FLGS, especially one that has a lot of miniatures wargaming, go and ask them for advice on what to buy. They are an incredible resource. However, of course not everybody has one of those within easy reach, or the LGS is lacking the F part...

I also thought the guys at the Reaper Miniatures forums were really helpful http://www.reapermini.com/forum/ (and as they are people that focus on miniatures, they can give you much more specific help).

Some thinks that you should consider getting in addition to some brushes and a selection of paints:

A small palette for mixing your paints and for painting from so your paint bottles do not dry up.

Spray primer. There is a lot of discussion on which color best to prime your models in. White leads to more vibrant colors, while black gives you a more muted tone, but looks better if you do not get in all the nooks and crannies, because that is where it's supposed to be darker. And then there is always the possibility of priming in the main color you will be using, like priming orcs in green, but I think that is a technique more suited for entire armies, or you will have a lot of spray cans you never zse in your house

Varnish for sealing the painted mini. I personally am using Army Painter spray varnish and am very happy with that, I have heard that you can get the same effect for much cheaper by just using varnish from your local hardwareshop. I would definitely recommend a dedicated brush for that, and if that is an area where you want to save money, I would definitely read up on a few discussions on that on miniatures forums like Reaper.

I do agree that you should start with some minis first which are not as important to you. If you have the complete set of Descent 1 minis (I could not quite tell from your post), I would say it is not really necessary to get some practice minis, as you'll have a lot of minis that are less than likely to make it to the table a whole lot - I personally started with Red Scorpion for example, because at least in Descent 1 she was a character that was never picked because there were always better options. If you do not have those, yeah, just get a few cheap miniatures that you like and start with those.

I will say I was surprised at how much progress I made in a rather short amount of time; I certainly will not be winning any Golden Demons anytime soon, but I actually expected my first few miniatures to really suck, and, well, I feel they don't (especially when looked at on the table, if you go in close you obviosly see all the flaws )

Oh, and for color selection, some things that should definitely be included are a flesh tone, one or two browns for wood and leather, and a metal for the weapons, chainmail and such.

I hope those tips helped you a bit, and welcome to the hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobblySavage wrote:
... welcome to the hobby addiction!

Fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also suggest one of starter sets. I bought Citadel starter set with 10 colors and I'm very happy with it. When I needed to mix some new color I googled out what colors to use and in what proportions.

All I added to my starter sets were additional brushes, I suggest getting detail brush first and layering/starter brush and then figure what you lack while painting. Also brushes are pretty cheap usually so it's easy to try out few brands.

Also I started with my descent heroes(I had them duplicate because of Runebound, so even if I messed that up I had backup). Because of that I bought skin tone paint, which made it really easy to paint heroes. When I needed darker or lighter skins I mixed skin tone a bit with other paints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
flag msg tools
dpuldon wrote:
Hi All,
I know there are a lot of tutorials about how to paint and I've seen a few so I my question isn't about that. Instead, lets say I have $75-$150 to buy all the supplies necessary to paint...

Is that enough money to start off with?
What do you recommend to buy?(I need paint brushes as well as paints)
With that amount of money can I get a good selection of paints?
etc...

Don't start with your Descent 2.0 minis.

I was wanting to do the exact same thing a while ago with Descent. Hadn't painted anything since I was a kid mucking about with Humbrol enamels so was stocking from scratch. Completely blew through the budget I'd set though an' now have an assload of brushes and paints that I don't like, and'll likely never get used. :/

I'd suggest only getting very minimal kit, practicing on some cheap victims, uh, minis from ebay or wherever, and find out what extra supplies you need/want that way.

Decent synthetic brushes in size 2 or 3 and a size 0 or 2/0. The tiny sizes like 10/0 aren't anywhere near as useful as you'd think. You want to always be using the largest size you can get away with. Then a small synthetic drybrush, and a cheapo pack of utility brushes and a cheap palette from the supermarket.

Very bright primary and secondary colours, white, black, mid-brown, fleshtone and silver (and maybe black and brown ink). Also get a bottle of brush-on matte varnish and a can of white spray primer (yes white, if you're going for the colours on the cards it'll make things easier).

My 2c anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United Kingdom
Bacup
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few have mentioned wet palettes they are great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjifHUCHLY

this should cost you next to nothing - get ready to source all kinds of stuff from around the house (especially for basing)

I use an old bathroom tile also for some things or you can use stuff like CD covers for palettes

Be sure to prep the figures get rid of any flash with a craft knife (dirt cheap)and clean in warm soapy water with a brush (nail brush/tooth brush)You'll notice this as soon as you prime the models if you missed anything

Prime with a spray - this will vary either black and white really white will give stronger colours as acrylics are opaque or black is good for dirtier stuff and especially good for metals. Do it outside I usually butcher an old cardboard box to put the models in so the paint isn't getting blown everywhere

Have things like kitchen tissue handy, cover your surface and try to get an inexpensive anglepoise like lamp with a daylight bulb eventually they don't cost the earth if you are painting at night or when the light is crappy - natural light is the best obviously.

Look at the way a jumper/shirt etc catches the light or not when crumpled up on a chair and think about this cos you will be doing that with your figures trying to get a 3d impression.

You can get great results from a basic set of paints from GW which will come with a few plastic figures and a helpful stater guide

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...

tbh GW are pretty expensive so there may be a better alternative that I dont know maybe Privateer Press (?) anyway you could possibly get something similar for half the cost really that's just an example

Learn some easy techniques on these figures like washes and drybrushing and you can build on those if you want to you may be very surprised how could your models are looking.

As your minis are going to be pushed around a dungeon then varnish them it will enhance the look and protect them.

Above all shop around for your extra bits and bobs keep asking in your local GW etc shop if you have one and reading forums/watching you tube

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.