Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had to fight a lot with some code blocks to get the code to display correctly.

First, if you put HTML in a code block as normal, it displays in preview, but is removed when you submit. In order for it to show up correctly when you submit, you need to escape the angle brackets.

I would expect that preview and submit should work the same way; that would save a lot of frustration.

Second, if you do submit unescaped HTML, when you go to edit it, that HTML is removed from your post entirely, which can be very inconvenient. Best case scenario, you copy the code again from your text editor. Worst case, you had copied it from some webpage that you've since closed and now have to hunt it down again.

Third, a very long line of code deforms the window as it doesn't scroll and doesn't force line wraps. Code should be put into a div with e.g. overflow: auto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, annoying isn't it? Every time I forget to escape </> my blood pressure goes up a notch. It's the classic "</> ate my posting" issue. I wouldn't mind, if preview and posting returned the exact same result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I just had to fight a lot with some code blocks to get the code to display correctly.

First, if you put HTML in a code block as normal, it displays in preview, but is removed when you submit. In order for it to show up correctly when you submit, you need to escape the angle brackets.

I would expect that preview and submit should work the same way; that would save a lot of frustration.

Second, if you do submit unescaped HTML, when you go to edit it, that HTML is removed from your post entirely, which can be very inconvenient. Best case scenario, you copy the code again from your text editor. Worst case, you had copied it from some webpage that you've since closed and now have to hunt it down again.

Third, a very long line of code deforms the window as it doesn't scroll and doesn't force line wraps. Code should be put into a div with e.g. overflow: auto.

Amen to that, brother! I just had a bout of anger and frustration in trying to clarify the rules in the RULE SECTION for SIAM. I was trying to show examples using those arrow-pointy symbols (which I now know are called "angle brackets." Thank you. Big chunks of my post kept disappearing. I tried to re-submit it. I tried to edit it. I finally gave up and left half my post there. I can try to do it right now.

I hate angle blocks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Angle brackets in forum posts: what you see is not what you get
The [-]strikethrough command[/-] less-than symbol deleted my post!
While composing a post, I suddenly lose everything I've typed!
Message cuts off before a less-than sign
Less than character in review doesn't work
Inequality signs and searching
Left-angle-bracket truncates GeekList comment
Code working in preview, not in actual post.
Post cut off half way through
Why is my forum post cut off?

Stuff's been a thing for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Correcting this forum software bug would seem to be a relatively low-hanging fruit that would relieve a lot of pain for a lot of users who lose posts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.