Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franklin Stinson
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Galaxy Trucker and am interested in getting an expansion. The first one, The Big Expansion, seems to be sold out and a new one, The Bigger Expansion, is coming out soon.

Is the new expansion just a reimplementation of the original expansion or is it a whole new expansion?

With a new expansion, would I need the first and second one?

Anyone know? Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are two separate expansions.

I've only played the first one, so I can't answer the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are two separate expansions from which you can pick and choose what you want to add to the game. It will make no difference which one you pick up first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In principle you could add either without the other, but based on what we know now, I'd strongly recommend you try the first expansion first. The second expansion is more complex and seems more appropriate for people who have already played the game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just get the Anniversary Edition this month and have them both in a single box that will fit them!

The nice thing about the first expansion is that it is very modular - you can add the components you are in the mood for. There was not much complexity added with the Big Expansion...more ship components, ship occupants, and terrible things that can happen to you (because there just isn't enough already in the game!). After a few plays they are fun to add, just don't throw them on the newcomer to the game - there is already enough variables they are trying to keep straight. I have a feeling the next expansion will be the same way and will add more opportunity to mix and match to keep the game fresh.

It's a bit pricey, but not when you compare buying the base game...then deciding to buy the Big Expansion...then ultimately breaking down after you've fallen in love with chaotic, painful goodness (which, by the way, you must enjoy to like this game), and getting the Bigger Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Stinson
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msweazey wrote:
Or you could just get the Anniversary Edition this month and have them both in a single box that will fit them!

So, what comes in the Anniversary Edition? the 2 expansions, or the base game and and expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deeug deeug
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Anniversary Edition you get:
- base game
- the 1st expansion: Big Expansion
- the 2nd Expansion: Another Big Expansion
- 1 sheet with description for all the ship pieces from all the expansions
- 1 comic book with a story about galaxy truckers(of course)
- 3 manuals: base game, 1st expansion, 2nd expansion

The bonus(at least for me) is that all this pieces are fitted in box slightly larger than 2 boxes of the base game, side by side. So if you are sure you want the latest expansion and you don't have the base game and the first xpansion, it's better to buy Anniversary Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
short answer: My take is that you can buy Another Big without having the first expansion at all. I see no problem. Actually, using the whole Another Big is, I feel, a LOT less complicated that using the whole Big.

Long answer:
Without ruffling through the components, The Big Expansion is basically several small expansions stuffed into one box:
* some new components (and rules attached to them)
* some new adventure cards
* "Rough Roads Ahead" cards, that change the scenery for this specific round ("this round, all small meteors are big, and all big are small" for example)
* "Evil Machinations" that are evil, evil cards of which you get to look at one and insert it in the adventure deck, thus only you will be prepared for its evil
* Alternative ship models

and so on.

Another Big Expansion is less like that, some people will disagree with me, but in there you basically have to use everything. Another Big introduces a third big threat you have to defend yourself against: Invaders. Roughly spoken, in the original game, you had two large things to defend yourself against: external enemies that you needed cannon fire (and/or shields) to defend against, and meteors (where you needed shields, good building and/or cannons). Invaders come at your ship just like meteors do (from the front or side, roll a die to see where), but they CANNOT be guarded against by shields or cannons. They enter your ship on the die roll, and start walking through your ship, either eating crew/goods/batteries or placing bombs. The only way to defend against these are _internal_ cannons or to put a weapon storage beside a cabin.

So, bluntly put, you have a third thing to worry about. Before, you could basically build a near-invulnerable ship by just having no open connectors and a lot of cannons – that way you were guarded against mostly everything, as cannon fire damage (both large and small) mostly came from enemies that you could shoot down by having a lot of cannons. With Another Big, even such a perfect ship will be vulnerable to the invaders unless you also have well-placed internal cannons and/or weapons storage.

With this, you have new adventure cards (with invaders), you have a lot of new tokens (with internal cannons and a lot of other things) and you also have new ship models.

My biggest peeve is that as much as I've played this game, and I don't know if it's Czech's printer, but ALL my cards (base box, Big, Another Big) are different. Different shades of card back, at least 0.5mm difference in size and so on. Makes it hard to shuffle. Also, it's quite annoying that you can tell from the building tiles from what box they come… Not that it ruins the game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.