Hide
12 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Cerberus Engine: Heroes games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Yeager
msg tools
The DC: Deck Building Game says "Compatible with other Cerberus Engine: Heroes games, a common card back means you can mix your whole collection together for the ultimate throwdown!" What are the other Cerberus Engine games??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosley
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaarus wrote:
What are the other Cerberus Engine games??

DC is the first one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming Lord of the Rings DBG from Crypto also uses the Cerberus Engine don't know if it will have the same backs or not. Probably wouldn't mix well anyway.

Each character starts with the equivalent of 6 punches, 3 vulnerabilities, and 1 card unique to each hero. It looks lke the unique card replaces the power on the hero.

http://www.cryptozoic.com/blogs/lord-rings-fellowship-ring-d...

http://www.facebook.com/cryptozoic/photos_albums#!/media/set...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the back of the cards look like? I don't think I have seen a picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ernewein
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix1138 wrote:
The upcoming Lord of the Rings DBG from Crypto also uses the Cerberus Engine don't know if it will have the same backs or not. Probably wouldn't mix well anyway.

Each character starts with the equivalent of 6 punches, 3 vulnerabilities, and 1 card unique to each hero. It looks lke the unique card replaces the power on the hero.

http://www.cryptozoic.com/blogs/lord-rings-fellowship-ring-d...

http://www.facebook.com/cryptozoic/photos_albums#!/media/set...

Well if the copy is to be believed then the backing should be the same so it can be mixed together. Which will be interesting to see play out.
It's kind of like Heroclix how you can have Doctor Doom and Gandalf team up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UntestedMethods wrote:

Well if the copy is to be believed then the backing should be the same so it can be mixed together. Which will be interesting to see play out.
It's kind of like Heroclix how you can have Doctor Doom and Gandalf team up.

To be fair, they do call the DC one Cerberus Engine: Heroes games and the LotR one Cerberus Engine: Middle-earth games, so while they may use almost identical rules I don't think they "intend" them to be mixed. If they end up having different backs, you could always sleeve them in solid color sleeves and mix them anyway.

michaeldavidcox wrote:
What does the back of the cards look like? I don't think I have seen a picture.

The card backs can be seen on page 4 of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think there's a Street Fighter version on the way that should be compatible with DC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
I think there's a Street Fighter version on the way that should be compatible with DC.

Yeah, I think it's supposed to be Capcom in general.

I am interested in the LOTR version, but I personally wouldn't mix them. I just hope DC doesn't become an afterthought with all these other flavors. I hope to see consistant expansions for it, as I have become quite fond of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DC is definitely not going to be left on the wayside. CZE has already teased that they're working on the first expansion in an article on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope that you CAN mix LotR with DC. that would be beyond awesome in my opinion. i wanna see Batman punch an Orc. or Bilbo use Heat Vision on Catgirl.

and who's to say Cryptozoic won't make a deal down the road with Marvel? how cool would that be?

EDIT: official word (through facebook) is that the games have different backs and a few different interaction/mechanics that, were the cards all in sleeves, still cause some minor but noticable incompatibilities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received copies of both DC and LOTR and did an un-boxing on my site (critshappen.com). They are different backs, so not conducive to mixing, including terminology in the game as well.

I think future LOTR can be mixed, and future "heroes" can be mixed, but with the thought of Marvel being tied to UDE, I don't see Crypto mixing universes like that, unless they can get access to other IPs in the comic industry.

I saw someone post a good point, which was the Cerberus engine was more of a "language" than a "foundation" and thought that was a good analogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They have different backings so sleeveing will be required.

There is different terminology, but as long as you know the terms that's not that big an issue.

Villain = Enemy
Hero = Ally
Equipment = Artifact
Superpower = Maneuver
Super-Villain = Archenemy
Punch = Courage
Vulnerability = Despair
Weakness = Corruption

The bigger issue is more that the cards are balanced slightly differently. The Super-Villains only go to 12 in DC, but 14 in LotR, so the LotR cards give you slightly more power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.