Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HI,

my wife and I enjoy board games together (I took an interest, which turned into an obsession and she came along for the ride). We play euros, worker placement she really does like strategy and "solving" things oh and winning all of these draw her in for more. But I'm looking for a game that makes her ask ME if we can play. She likes party games like trivial pursuit and cranium, she loves card games like rummy, and brain teasers or a sort of puzzle to "solve". Im hoping I can get some suggestions for her because when I start to look I usually end up finding games or themes that appeal to me (cause I'm selfish like thatdevil)!

I would prefer 2 player since thats most of our gaming time, however we do have family that will play with us so its not a deal breaker if it isnt.

thanks in advance for your help!

*edit: she loves bejeweled and tetris so something like this in card form would be excellent!!!

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the games in the Ubongo Series would meet your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Cromeyellow wrote:
*edit: she loves bejeweled and tetris so something like this in card form would be excellent!!!

thanks again
FITS and BITS, then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hanging Gardens sounds like a very good recommendation.

Some other suggestions...
Finca
Jaipur
Morels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:

Some other suggestions...
Finca
Jaipur
Morels

All excellent suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into Galaxy Trucker!

It is fun with 2p but even more fun with more. The first part of the game is a puzzle--you're putting together the tiles to make the strongest ship you can. The second part is turning up the cards one at a time and following the instructions. Depending on luck and how well you built your ship, it may start coming apart! It's a lot of fun and I have to say I was really surprised by this game.

I don't think we use the timer the way the instructions say to--once one person has finished their ship, we then turn the timer and the other person has to stop once the sand runs out. (2p game) The first few games we didn't even use the timer; it was once we got familiar with how to build that we did start using it.

And +1 for The Hanging Gardens-it's definitely a puzzle type game where you overlap cards on your own playing field in order to build sets.

Another is Cities which is a tile laying game. Each person again has their own playing area. I haven't played Mondo but it is also a tile laying puzzle game.

Maori is a little bit different. It's tile laying on a player board and you're building little islands. It's fun and there are a couple different levels to play if you want to ramp up the challenge.

Good luck! I was in a similar situation with my husband just coming along for the ride like a good sport. The game that made him obsessive was Kingdom Builder so it can be done!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife sounds a lot like yours. Here are her favorite two player games

Lost Cities
The Battle for Hill 218 (abstract card game/tile laying game that was a huge hit, which surprised me, and it's cheap and fast to play)
Lords of Waterdeep she doesn't care that it's d&d, she just really enjoys it
Cities (which Kathy mentioned above)
Dominion this was the surprise hit. My wife and I have over 100 plays of this ( which is a lot if you knew my schedule hehe)
Aquarius is another surprise hit for her, and a great little game.
If she likes Rummy, consider Battle Line. Great two player game.
Mr. Jack s another fantastic two player game, especially alternating games playing both sides.

I'll stop there, but most of my games are rated as enjoyed by my wife and I since she is my primary gaming partner, so feel free to check out my game list for my comments and ratings based on that.

Cheers!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Many co-ops play like puzzles that the players are solving together. Pandemic is probably worth a look (and it's very good with 2-4).

FITS is strongly reminiscent of tetris. So is Blokus.

I always think that Dominion feels like a puzzle - you're trying to figure out which combination of the available cards are the "correct" solution to making the most efficient deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utopian Rummy is a rummy game with special abilities/bonuses for laying down certain cards. One of our favorites.

Qwirkle Cubes or Ingenious may interest her.

As for solving, take a look at Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (soon to be re-released), Clue: the Great Museum Caper, Scotland Yard, Nuns on the Run, Mr. Jack, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, in line with the Dominion suggestions, how about Puzzle Strike? It's an excellent deckbuilder-style game, with the theme and intent of recreating games like Super Puzzle Fighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words . . .

Lost Cities

I can say this---my family loves Rummy and Gin Rummy and those sorts of games, and they (my wife and 12-year-old son) LOVE playing some Lost Cities . There are two games my wife asks to play, Lost Cities and Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow thank you so much for all the great suggestions already. I really didn't think I would see so many good 2 player options. I have a lot to look over, I had considered dominion in the past but was unsure how she would react to the theme she almost likes more abstract then anything to do with history (which is hard cause I LOVE history).

Jacovis wrote:
My wife sounds a lot like yours. Here are her favorite two player games

Lost Cities
The Battle for Hill 218 (abstract card game/tile laying game that was a huge hit, which surprised me, and it's cheap and fast to play)
Lords of Waterdeep she doesn't care that it's d&d, she just really enjoys it
Cities (which Kathy mentioned above)
Dominion this was the surprise hit. My wife and I have over 100 plays of this ( which is a lot if you knew my schedule hehe)
Aquarius is another surprise hit for her, and a great little game.
If she likes Rummy, consider Battle Line. Great two player game.
Mr. Jack s another fantastic two player game, especially alternating games playing both sides.

I'll stop there, but most of my games are rated as enjoyed by my wife and I since she is my primary gaming partner, so feel free to check out my game list for my comments and ratings based on that.

Cheers!

Jacovis

I'll for sure be checking out your gaming list. thank you!
I had considered Mr. Jack as well but had put too many other games ahead of it.
Games like Fits, and Bits, Utopian Rummy, Puzzle Strike seem like they should go high on my list.

Now it seems I have so many choices whereas before I had none! thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely look up Dominion. My wife loves it because there's not a lot of "conflict" (or "screwage"). To her, it's a "How well can I build my little card engine?"

Also look up my usual gateway coop: Forbidden Island. Treat it as a puzzle / adventure. It's also great with kids.

And for family play : Dixit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.