Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Coe
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pizza Theory is a good 3-player game that a 6-year-old could play pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne- Tile and meeple laying simple rules, fun for all

Stone Age - Worker Placement with Dice the 6YO would have fun just collecting resources and rolling. The math involved could really stretch them. But you could assist easy enough and they would learn a lot.

Zooloretto- Set collecting animals.

Ticket to Ride - Great game for a family. Can be played 2 player as well.

Bohnanza - Cards, beans trading and just fun.

Smallworld - Attacking and area control. Easy enough for a 6YO but with tons of replayability

Pandemic- Co op save the world...great for helping your 6YO work together.

I would skip the catan jr and just get Catan...you could always make it easier to help them buy or trade things and you will use it longer.

If you want a new co op that walks through a neat story, try Mice and Mystics...your 6YO will get a kick out of the mice minis and spider mini and what not plus it looks very kid friendly, but very much fun for the family.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the community.

[edit: added links]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had good luck with:
Castle Panic
Carcassone
Quarriors
7 Wonders
Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a press-your-luck game like Zombie Dice or Can't Stop or the newly reprinted Cheeky Monkey, which comes in a very cute looking plush monkey.

Taiga and Bonbons are good looking memory games.

King of Tokyo is monster-stomping-Tokyo fun (the only thing you might need to help with is the cards, depending on reading level, but it's primarily a dice game - it can even be played without the cards, which just act as modifiers for your monster's powers).

Loopin' Louie is top of the kids' list for a reason. It's fun (for adults too). It is set up for 4 players, but I don't think it would suffer with one side going unplayed. Or the better adult player could be handicapped by playing two sides.

And Forbidden Island is an easy cooperative with nice components and scalable difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilentCat wrote:
Maybe a press-your-luck game like Zombie Dice or Can't Stop or the newly reprinted Cheeky Monkey, which comes in a very cute looking plush monkey.

Taiga and Bonbons are good looking memory games.

King of Tokyo is monster-stomping-Tokyo fun (the only thing you might need to help with is the cards, depending on reading level, but it's primarily a dice game - it can even be played without the cards, which just act as modifiers for your monster's powers).

Loopin' Louie is top of the kids' list for a reason. It's fun (for adults too). It is set up for 4 players, but I don't think it would suffer with one side going unplayed. Or the better adult player could be handicapped by playing two sides.

And Forbidden Island is an easy cooperative with nice components and scalable difficulty.

All of these should work well. My son has loved King of Tokyo since he was 6, Loopin Louie is a win-win (I need to get a copy of this again), and Forbidden Island is great because you'll all be working together, so it's okay to help with their actions since you'll all be helping each other and they feel included. My son also enjoyed Castle Panic for the same reason.

The Magic Labyrinth is also a fantastic game that your kid is likely to beat you guys at. I can't emphasize enough how great a family game this game is, and to be honest an adult game as well. Check out some of the comments and reviews.

Best of luck!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sequence is a good one, the 6 year old will play randomly for a while (match the card laid down to the image on the board) and may need a card holder but as a light team game it works really well.

I introduced a bunch of kids yesterday, youngest eight, eldest I think sixteen, to this game. It was a real hit, you should have seen the eight year old strategising... And normally she is such a shy wee thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for :
Zooloretto
Forbidden Island
Carcassonne
7 Wonders
Sequence

And may I add:
Dixit
Homesteaders
Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! Very simple rules that can be taught in a minute, but there's more to this game than meets the eye; it's in fact highly tactical. Most importantly, it's fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Butsudoka wrote:
Hey, That's My Fish! Very simple rules that can be taught in a minute, but there's more to this game than meets the eye; it's in fact highly tactical. Most importantly, it's fun!

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My First Carcassonne is my fav kids game.Kids cant "mess up" as all teh pieces always fit, but it takes actual thought to do well and win

The Magic Labyrinth +1

Chicken Cha Cha Cha well done memory game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Held
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread helps me out a TON as well. Definitely going to look in to a lot of these recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scramert wrote:
Moving from chutes, candy, scrabble jr.picking up several new games for holidays. Several suggestions. Catan jr, apples jr, ticket to ride, all seem good. Mom and dad don't want to get bored too quickly. Thx!

Take a look at Dixit; although 3 player is really the absolute minimum. The great thing about the game is how it can be played by a multigeneration group.

Oh, and Dixit Jinx is actually the next thing on my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Games a 6 Year old kid can understand and play and not bores the parents.

Definetly not Dominion. shake

Some dexterity Games from Zoch work very well. Bit expensive cause of the high quality wooden materials but worth every penny and also great fun for adults.
Bausack
Hamsterrolle
Villa Paletti
Riff Raff

other suggestions are
Klondike
The Magic Labyrinth already recommended above
Der schwarze Pirat
Château Roquefort
Barbarossa not the best suggestion for that age but very great for imagination and worth a try

at least the high praised
King of Tokyo

greets hessi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butsudoka wrote:

We just got this one from secret santa and it has been a hit with my 5.5 yo. So a big +1.
She also loves Zombie Dice. It's a basic press your luck game, with different difficulty dice. If you don't like the theme they've remade it as Dino Hunt Dice, but I haven't seen it in stores yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had good luck with
7 Wonders
Lords of Waterdeep
Castle Panic
Quarriors
King of Tokyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really 7 wonders for a six year old? I've only played once, but it seemed fairly complicated between tracking resources watching the army building wonders and tracking the different point values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cable Car is sitting under the tree, and I'm looking forward to playing it with my 6-year-old son. I also recommend PitchCar and Zooloretto. My son likes these ones, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Saboteur.

No or at least very little reading. Easy to grasp for a 6 YO.

The Magic Labyrinth is a winner as well.

Both have gone over well with young children with little or no experience with gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
Children's Games of the Year 2009: Closing the books
Children's Games of the Year 2010: Last minute gift tips
My favorite Kids Games that are good for Adults.
boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Kinderspiel_des_Jahres#

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.