Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I started collecting the game on day one and I enjoyed it playing with a small group of friends for a while.

I've collected up to and including the first big expansion. (Still haven't tackled any of the quests from there yet).

Earlier this year I started a new career that takes me offshore regularly. My usual Saturday meets took a dent and LotR now languishes on my shelves.

I'm now pondering the potential of solo play for weather days and off shift. So I have a few questions for the good people of this forum.

How was the dwarf cycle? Any notably good or bad scenarios? I would like to kick things off with the best to motivate me back.

How has the deck building side of the game progressed? Are there plenty of options now?

Would you recommend two deck solitaire?

What have the hobbit sets added to the game? Are they best used stand alone and how well do they interact with the rest of the game? (As in is it like kaza'dum where it has a definite nod to theme building or more open).

Thanks
Moray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the dwarf cycle. Some of the kinks of the first cycle are worked out, and there's some innovative scenarios, especially the last two of the cycle. It does make Dwarf decks incredibly powerful compared to everything else, so that may be a bug or a feature. So yes, there are many options, but one particular option just seems almost unavoidable. That said, there are plenty of options within the dwarf decks.

Yes, two deck solitaire is great. It lacks the very-high difficulty in certain scenarios of one deck solitaire, which again may be a bug or a feature depending on your gaming style.

The Hobbit sets don't have any player cards which feel essential, but there's plenty of good stuff in there. The quests themselves are great, and are more smoothly integrated than other sets of quests so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Solo play works very well, both with one and two decks. I would definitely recommend at least trying the latter, to see if it works for you.

The Dwarrowdelf cycle definitely is an improvement over the Mirkwood cycle and to the game in general.

I havn't played all of the scenarios, but it is generally reported, that they are more fun than the Mirkwood cycle scenarios. Surely, someone will be able to point you to the better ones.

The Hobbit is similar to Khazad-dum in scope. New scenarios (obviously themed after the book) and some very nice new player cards (cool new Tactics events, a new Gandalf, etc).

The latest deluxe expansion, Heirs of Numenor, shifts the focus away from the dwarves a bit, who had more than their share of attention in Dwarrowdelf and The Hobbit.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I havn't played all of the scenarios, but it is generally reported, that they are more fun than the Mirkwood cycle scenarios. Surely, someone will be able to point you to the better ones.

There are some good and some bad. If you like what you saw in the mirkwood cycle you will like the dwarven cycle as well. All in all I prefer the first cycle but that's because of the theme not because of the rules. (I'm not the biggest dwarven fan, you must know )

Especially foundations of stone is a really good quest, maybe the best till now. On the other hand the long dark is not very long and not very difficult. A disappointment. If I were you I would buy the first AP and look how it works for you solo. If you like it, buy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Martin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In general, I think the Dwarrowdelf cycle was more consistent in quality than the Mirkwood. In particular, I recommend The Watcher in the Water. That's my favorite scenario so far. Very thematic and very fun (combat-heavy against a big baddie, if you like that kind of thing). Also, I agree with the last poster that Foundations of Stone is an interesting and challenging quest.

I started out playing one deck solo, but transitioned to two decks and I much prefer it, but it is a matter of personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
loved the dwarf cycle, watcher, road tyo rivendell, and the long dark were my fav's. deckbuilding options do increase, although you will quickly find a couple dominant heroes have emerged. i prefer two handed for both deckbuilding and play. haven't played a ton with the newest hobbit set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.