Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hello BGG! I have been thinking about buying The Resistance for a while. I like the mechanics and that it supports a large group, but I can't decide if I should get the original or Avalon. Please help.

Poll
Do you prefer playing Avalon or The Resistance?
Avalon is better
The Resistance is better
A combined variant is better
I don't like either
      148 answers
Poll created by falafel007
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing you get in the original that's not available in Avalon are the plot cards. They're missed a bit, but the Merlin/Assassin dynamic adds a LOT to the game. Mordred, Oberon, Morgana and Percival as well.

No question, go Avalon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the variablilty of Avalon, the theme of Resistance, and the gameplay of both.

I own both but if I could only have one, Avalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I like the variablilty of Avalon, the theme of Resistance, and the gameplay of both.

I own both but if I could only have one, Avalon.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for Avalon but you need to post this survey under both BGG game entries to be fair. Geeks subscribed to Avalon will most likly vote that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another one for Avalon. One thing I've noticed is that the new roles puts less pressure on people, save for Merlin, who may have felt quite anxious during The Resistance. That Merlin card adds a layer to the game that I think alleviates pressure on everybody. If you're a good guy you at least know you have Merlin on your side when everyone is pointing fingers at you. And if you're the bad guy you know you can fail but have one last shot. Both sides are also occupied with deducing who is who, rather than just the bad guys manipulating everyone else. I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon has roles where Resistance has Plot Cards. Avalon adds to the game of guessing who's on which side by giving the evil players something to guess. Resistance adds a separate mechanic to the game to generate more information. Avalon also has the Lady of the Lake option which allows some players to see other players' loyalties (but not their role).

Avalon allows individual roles to be added to give a fuller range of gameplay options, and the role mechanic is a more organic part of the game design. The only reasons I can think of to get Resistance are if you prefer the theme (which is pretty minimal in either case), or if you want more variety after playing Avalon a bit.

I wouldn't say either option is wrong, but Avalon is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get Avalon.

You can play the original rules using the Avalon set by removing Merlin/Assassin. And avalon includes new extra roles and the lady of the lake.

Also, you can buy the plot card set (which comes in the original resistance) for like 5 bucks or something.

I do like the theme of the original better though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Li
Canada
New York
flag msg tools
I just bought the resistance, can I some how modify it to have the assassin and Merlin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a good card and write "Merlin" on it and the same for the Assassin with a spy card

Although I'd come up with a better name for Merlin to match the theme. Maybe Odama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
Take a good card and write "Merlin" on it and the same for the Assassin with a spy card

Although I'd come up with a better name for Merlin to match the theme. Maybe Odama.

Some people like to just use "Morpheus" and the "Vampire" as the specials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bahz mukslinger
Canada
flag msg tools
Double Agent and Assassin, were the first that came to my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Commander, assassin, deep spy, bodyguard...

Old Guy, Vampire, Morpheus, Baltar, Hugh Jackman, Ginger, Neo, Captain America, Chesty McChesterson...

They're all just labels. Pick some and teach the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Currently I'm enjoying Avalon more, but I own base resistance, and can play Avalon with it just fine (especially now that I've gotten a hold of the Merlin/Assassin promo cards). It'd be harder to play base resistance with Avalon, since you'd need to mock up all the plot cards. For that reason, even though I'm enjoying Avalon more right now, I tend to recommend base resistance for purchase (unless you strongly prefer the Avalon theme), since it really allows you to play both versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorkmaster Flek
msg tools
Avalon seems clearly superior to me, for two reasons.

1. Regular Resistance (sans plot cards) can be played with Avalon easily. Just ignore the special roles. Avalon is a superset of The Resistance, with the exception of the plot cards.

2. The plot cards are sort of re-implemented in Avalon itself, and I feel it works better this way. By this, I mean that Avalon's special roles combined with the Lady of the Lake token (especially this) basically serve the same purpose as the plot cards.

The purpose of the plot cards is to add more information to the mix, which ultimately helps the good guys because it lets you logic more stuff out without having to read people. The special roles, mainly Merlin and Percival, and especially the Lady of the Lake token, also do this. However, I think they do it with less complication than the plot cards in original Resistance. The Lady of the Lake in particular feels like a distillation of everything the plot cards are about, with a minimum of extra rules added. In fact, I believe she does exactly what one of the plot cards does on a single use.

Merlin also does this by adding extra knowledge to the pool (in this case concentrated in a single player), but the whole Merlin/Assassin mechanic also adds a lot of depth to the game. Merlin is tough to play well, but having him and the Assassin in play means that literally everybody at the table has a reason to lie through their teeth. The bad guys are still trying not to get found out, but the good guys are also trying to disguise themselves as Merlin so he doesn't get assassinated.

He also seems to make the game a little more balanced at the low (5) and high (9-10) ends of the number of players spectrum. With only 5 players, it was hard for the spies to hide, but now they have a way to win if they figure out who Merlin is (only 3 choices after all). With 9-10 players, it got much more difficult to keep track of all the information which made it easier for the spies to hide, but Merlin brings that extra information to his team, if he can get it across. There are also more good guys for him to hide amongst.

So yeah, if you're only buying one, I say Avalon is clearly superior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
DorkmasterFlek wrote:
Avalon seems clearly superior to me, for two reasons.

1. Regular Resistance (sans plot cards) can be played with Avalon easily. Just ignore the special roles. Avalon is a superset of The Resistance, with the exception of the plot cards.

2. The plot cards are sort of re-implemented in Avalon itself, and I feel it works better this way. By this, I mean that Avalon's special roles combined with the Lady of the Lake token (especially this) basically serve the same purpose as the plot cards.

The purpose of the plot cards is to add more information to the mix, which ultimately helps the good guys because it lets you logic more stuff out without having to read people. The special roles, mainly Merlin and Percival, and especially the Lady of the Lake token, also do this. However, I think they do it with less complication than the plot cards in original Resistance. The Lady of the Lake in particular feels like a distillation of everything the plot cards are about, with a minimum of extra rules added. In fact, I believe she does exactly what one of the plot cards does on a single use.

Merlin also does this by adding extra knowledge to the pool (in this case concentrated in a single player), but the whole Merlin/Assassin mechanic also adds a lot of depth to the game. Merlin is tough to play well, but having him and the Assassin in play means that literally everybody at the table has a reason to lie through their teeth. The bad guys are still trying not to get found out, but the good guys are also trying to disguise themselves as Merlin so he doesn't get assassinated.

He also seems to make the game a little more balanced at the low (5) and high (9-10) ends of the number of players spectrum. With only 5 players, it was hard for the spies to hide, but now they have a way to win if they figure out who Merlin is (only 3 choices after all). With 9-10 players, it got much more difficult to keep track of all the information which made it easier for the spies to hide, but Merlin brings that extra information to his team, if he can get it across. There are also more good guys for him to hide amongst.

So yeah, if you're only buying one, I say Avalon is clearly superior.

Well said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lenihan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I read through the rules of Avalon, and we decided to play as if regular resistance game. I don't like the idea that at the end of the game the evil team can just take a guess at who Merlin is and win the game regardless of everything else that happened. When we play with 5 people, that is a 33% chance right away without knowing anything..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's exactly the challenge for the regular loyalists to act more Merlin than Merlin itself. Everyone has things to figure out and do, not just Merlin and Assassin. So, don't write Avalon off simply because it requires different strategies and skills. (And who cares that much who wins in the end. Play another one!)

We have played more than half-a-dozen base games with Avalon components lately, it has different challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.