Subject: Rout and shell holes..? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Can a DM MMC in a shell-hole rout into an adjacent building hex? I know a shell-hole is not open-ground for rout activation purposes but, darn it, I have several broken units cracked-up in craters all over the VOTG's map and I can't get to them (safely)!

Best regards,

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about "rout activation", but you MUST rout if in Open Ground and you MAY rout if under DM. Buildings and Woods hexes are what stop routing, and you still have some leeway there (ie. if you don't want to stop in the same building you started the rout in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Read 10.51 Direction.

DM units in shell-holes are still eligible to rout,they pay either two MF per hex (diving in n out of the shell-holes) to gain the +1 TEM to avoid interdiction.
or 1MF (running along the top edges of the shell-holes) but risk interdiction.
shell-holes count as non open ground hexes for rout,but only building/woods hexes terminate the rout.

although adjacent (and seperate) buildings/woods still allow continuous rout THRU those building/woods hexes to 6 MF.

cheerio
mike

ROUT THOSE DARN MMC's !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BattleSchool Managing Editor
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, unless a) ADJACENT to a KEU, or b) DM at the start of the RtPh, broken units may only rout if they are c) in Open Ground, and in the LOS and normal range of an enemy unit/its-SW/Gun.

Unless I am missing something, a broken unit that begins its RtPh in a shellhole may only rout if one or more of the above conditions are met.

A10.5 ROUTING: During the RtPh a broken unit not in Melee may not remain in the same Open Ground hex in the Normal Range (10.532) and LOS of a Known non-Melee enemy unit/its-SW/Gun... [EXC: Night; E1.54]. ...A broken unit may rout if currently under DM.

A10.531 OPEN GROUND: For purposes of rout determination, Dash, concealment gain/loss, and Interdiction, an Open Ground hex is any hex in which any Interdictor could apply, during a hypothetical Defensive First Fire opportunity (regardless of what attacks it actually made in previous phases), the -1 FFMO DRM.

B2.4 If [Infantry] expends two MF in entering the [shellhole] hex, or starts the phase therein, it is considered in a shellhole and not subject to FFMO penalties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Open ground, adjacent, area fire/area target type. Three of the most misunderstood ASL concepts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:
A10.531 is one of the least understood aspects of the ASL infantry game both for routing questions like this and also for concealment gain and loss.

A unit is not in OPEN GROUND unless there exists an enemy unit that could claim the -1 FFMO DRM during a hypothetical DFF opportunity.

OPEN GROUND per A10.531 is not the same as Open Ground per B1 which is simply a hex devoid of other terrain features.

I've often seen players pull concealment off a unit that is advancing or assault moving in an Open Ground hex in the LOS of the enemy when they are not in an OPEN GROUND hex per the A10.531 definition and should not lose the concealment at all.

Agree. A10.531 would definately benefit from some re-write/clarifications. E.g., removing the reference to "Interdictor".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:
But these terms are deeply grandfathered into ASL and I doubt that any of this will ever be clarified no matter how much confusion is caused.

Well, it isn't unclear now (they are all defined in the Index), it is just slightly confusing at times.

I think the biggest confusion is between "Area Fire" and "Area Target Type".

But I don't see any of these terms changing either, seeing as they are used alot of time throught the ASL rules.

All numbers are approximates:

Area Fire: 71 times
Area Target Type: 84 times
Smoke/smoke/SMOKE: 324 times
Adjacent/ADJACENT: 477 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.