Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Hello BGG! I have been thinking about buying The Resistance for a while. I like the mechanics and that it supports a large group, but I can't decide if I should get the original or Avalon. Please help.

Poll
Do you prefer playing Avalon or The Resistance?
Avalon is better
The Resistance is better
A combined variant is better
I don't like either
      148 answers
Poll created by falafel007

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played Resistance, and the group that you're playing with hasn't played, I suggest starting with the Resistance. Avalon is fantastic and awesome and wonderful (it's an improvement on my favorite game, The Resistance), but it's trickier for players to get playing in a balanced way, right away. Being Merlin, or a servant of Arthur, is harder than being a Resistance member when you haven't played the base game already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional information in The Resistance is provided through plot cards, which the Team Leader distributes (fairly or not) and which force other players to reveal something above and beyond a simple up/down vote, such as seeing a played Mission card or calling for an auto-fail through a vote of no confidence.

Additional information in Avalon comes from roles. Merlin creates more information for the good guys, Mordred is unseen, Lancelot's loyalty is anyone's guess, et cetera.

Which game to pick depends on how you'd like additional info added to your game. I like both equally, but combining them would create too much information for my tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul is right about how the two systems bring in additional info in a different way. But he didn't mention what makes Avalon's system better: fluidity. Basic Resistance is less fluid because drawing and playing/distributing the Plot cards is considerably disruptive to the flow of the game.

In my 70ish plays of basic Resistance, the plot cards were the only element of the game that was occasionally seen as a negative. Many people like the added intrigue they bring, but dislike the way they speed-bump the flow of play at the start of each round.

Enter Avalon. You get incredible intrigue without the speedbumps.

Avalon is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brandon neadles
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
doh! I just bought the resistance yesterday. Oh well, game store didn't have avalon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good. I prefer Avalon. But both are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Paul is right about how the two systems bring in additional info in a different way. But he didn't mention what makes Avalon's system better: fluidity. Basic Resistance is less fluid because drawing and playing/distributing the Plot cards is considerably disruptive to the flow of the game.

See, I disagree. Once you understand the process, the distribution of the plot cards carries just as much information as the cards themselves. Watching who hands out the cards and how increases in importance with each mission. I don't see it as disruptive at all.

Your mileage, obviously, varies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
If you haven't played Resistance, and the group that you're playing with hasn't played, I suggest starting with the Resistance. Avalon is fantastic and awesome and wonderful (it's an improvement on my favorite game, The Resistance), but it's trickier for players to get playing in a balanced way, right away. Being Merlin, or a servant of Arthur, is harder than being a Resistance member when you haven't played the base game already.

Merlin certainly is hard to play well. But it doesn't mean that Resistance is a better fit for new people - you can agree to only look at the icons on role cards, ignoring their names and powers, and you get the basic Resistance minus the plot cards. At least that's how I teach new people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I would have done had I not already owned the original..

Buy Avalon and then get the plot cards through the geek store. You can play any version you want and for less than 20 dollars. That's a great deal... the best of all possible worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.