flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to start out with:

Beetle
Beetle
Queen
Ant

I like the Beetles early on as they have great flexibility to move and pin enemy pieces. I've had some success against opponents who start with:

Spider
Ant
Queen
Whatever

Those who use this type of opening generally try for the early pin of the Queen and the Beetles can be quite useful in countering this. thier ability to move atop other pieces can allow for openings for the Queen to escape.

I like to bring a hopper as #5 and Spider as #6.

I tend to play a game where I focus on changing the center of the board around move #10. The Beetles allow you to escape the middle lockup in midgame and can be the basis of a midgame counterattack.

My games tend to be rather long defensive struggles as I like to maintain options for my Queen using Hoppers and Beetles to be adjacent to my Queen and use my Spiders and Ants for attack.

These are general guidlines I use when playing. I've also been playing around with:

Spider
Spider
Queen
Ant

This is a real defensive opening that uses the late arriving pieces for the attack. Results have been mixed and I'm not certain this is a real good opening but it does get your Spiders into play early and they can get near your opponents Queen early on and then settle in in surrounding positions. Also some opponents overlook Spider moves that can be very big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I like open with spider, then hopper, spider, and queen, the order of which depends on how the opponent plays, and who went first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
And if he plays queen first I might put a beetle in one of my first 4 moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.