Agents of SMERSH» Forums » Rules

Subject: When do Location Tokens come out (and location tracker)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Can someone help me with this? I'm confused about the location tokens. I played a game last night that essentially did not have the location tokens come out until towards the very end of the game.

Do location tokens (and therefore the location track itself) only come out when a player chooses to wait a turn to encounter a henchmen rather than claim an intel?

Because if I understand it correctly, that means that for a four player game you would only be able to fight a henchman 5 times and hope that you randomly encounter them at least 7 more times via the encounters. Do I have that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you have it right. Location tokens come out when you take an intel off the board and DO NOT add it to the pool. You still have a "with intel" encounter though.

And to win instantly through defeating the 4 henchmen, you need to have a ton of luck and, as you said, get a bunch of encounters with the henchmen. The designer says right in the instructions that this is a huge long shot for a win condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way it works is, when you move to a space with an Intel Token you have a CHOICE:

You can grab the Intel and place it, from the space you are on, into the Intel Pool (this represents gaining valuable information on what Dr. Lobo is up to and what you will need to defeat him). Then you have an encounter based on that location and that you are having the encounter With Intel.

OR

You can remove the Intel from the board, putting it back into the draw pile, and then grab one of the face down, green location tokens, (this represents using the intel to find out where Henchman are located), next you draw a fate card and, keeping it face down, place the location token on the space the fate card tells you.

Now you know where a Henchman is located.

In order to advance up the Location Track you need to get to that space, flip the green location marker and have a successful encounter with that Henchman (this will count as your encounter for that turn).

If you defeat them:
- They advance a level.
- You gain the reward stated on the Henchman card.
- AND you advance the Location Track.

You have just moved that much closer to discovering where Dr. Lobo's hideout is.

Also, you have the choice when moving to a space with an Intel Marker to simply ignore the marker, leave it there and instead opt for an encounter without intel. Encounters without intel come with less risk involved but will not get you any closer to Dr. Lobo

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you remove the Intel token to place a green Location token, do you still have an encounter? And if so, is it still "With Intel"?

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
If you remove the Intel token to place a green Location token, do you still have an encounter? And if so, is it still "With Intel"?

Cameron

Yes. You interacted with the Intel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah okay. I had to ask for that specific case, since the rulebook appears to be lacking in most people's opinion.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Butler
United States
Paynesville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Aaron. Now I finally understand advancing on the location track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Ah okay. I had to ask for that specific case, since the rulebook appears to be lacking in most people's opinion.

Cameron

It's there, but not as clear as I'd like it. This was my biggest problem with the game at first also (trying to figure out how the location tokens came onto the board).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hussey
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Part way through the first game and came here to find out how the location markers came out. I first thought it might be on the Villain advancement cards but as turns went by...

I think text on this in the rulebook is clear enough, it's just not where the player expects it to be. I think the rulebook could desperately use a little reorganization in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My question is that it seems that there's a maximum of 1 location, but I can't find any rule that says that (other than after an Intel Overload you leave1 location encounter if there are any). Is there a maximum number of Location encounters you can have on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.