Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this expansion but I like playing the basic way a bit better (without the 3 cards put to the side of the board.) I have created a way to play the regular game with just some of the new cards added in.

We always play a 2 player game. Each player uses 4 workers and each player gets 2 coins for income, just like in the expansion. During the Supply Phase four cards are placed on the board (instead of 3 for a 2 player game.) I chose the following new cards to add to each quarter (I did not remove the cards suggested in the basic rules):

Winter - Spice Storage, Tea House, Carpet Storage, Roasting House
Spring - Fish Market, Harbor Master, Insurance, Storekeeper
Summer - Thrift Institution, Auction Hall, Press, Smuggler
Fall - Mayor, Accountant, City Hall, Music Hall

I did not use any of the new goods, the extra Accounting Offices, or the Fireman. It was kind of hard deciding which cards to use as I like so many of them. Using all of the cards would make the game too long I think.

I will report back this evening with the final scores, length of game, and fun factor after we test this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Final scores were 46 to 76, but I blame this partly on the Bank card. I acquired it a little over half way through the game and we decided that in a 2 player game it's just too powerful. My opponent failed to buy enough contracts which also lead to his demise.

The game lasted 90 minutes. Actually it was quite fun and I think if I had not acquired the Bank card so early the game would have been a perfect success. I decided for the next game I will eliminate the Bank card and use the Merchant card from the expansion instead.

We also play with the variant that when a fire happens, only the player with the lowest Fireman score moves back. It just seems too much of a spread to have the highest point player move forward and the lowest point player move back.

I think I found my perfect compromise for the base game and the expansion. Now to figure out the setup for a 3, 4, and 5 players game, ughhh! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint DeSena
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting this. Although I like the expansion, sometimes it does tend to make the game drag a little too long. Too bad I never play with only 2 players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r b
United States
flag msg tools
Just wondering if anyone else has played with the expansion cards mixed in and using the original base game rules (no cards up top in 'reserve')?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly not me. That sounds like a very long and boring game
- like playing Carcassonne with _all_ expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.