Frank Vicari
United States
California
flag msg tools
Our Turn Podcast - Contributor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I've picked up the TOS game and I'm finding it to be more enjoyable than the TNG version, but I do have a few questions..

1) Mission - USS Enterprise
It mentions that one success is a character with a combined cost of 18+. Is that a character like Kirk with a handheld or should it mean a total base cost of all characters on your bridge?

2) Medical Tricorder
When using the tricorder, is this the way to use it correctly?

Equip tricorder to Number One (Cost 7)
Pull Ensign (Cost 1) from discard pile
Discard Ensign and take Captain Kirk (Cost 9) from starbase
or
Discard Ensign and take Lieutenant (cost 3) from starbase

Thanks in a advance...

T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I don't have the card in front of me, but I think it is characters (plural), not character. So, for example, Kirk and two Commanders would meet the requirements. Handhelds would not count toward the total.

2) You can upgrade the Ensign to the Lieutenant. The wording limits the value of the card you pull from the discard. So if, for example, you played the medical on a Lieutenant, you could not upgrade a Commander to something higher; the Commander costs more that the Lieutenant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
Taliseian wrote:

2) Medical Tricorder
When using the tricorder, is this the way to use it correctly?

Equip tricorder to Number One (Cost 7)
Pull Ensign (Cost 1) from discard pile
Discard Ensign and take Captain Kirk (Cost 9) from starbase
or
Discard Ensign and take Lieutenant (cost 3) from starbase

The "up to 2 more" refers to the upgraded character. The second example is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j Willis
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I read the card as a translation error or typo. "character with a combined value of 18+" just doesn't make sense and it seems exceedingly rare that you'd have anough handhelds plus one high-level character at the same time. Thematically, it makes more sense to me to be able to defeat the Enterprise with a great team rather that one character with two phasers and a tricorder (although that's a bit of a fun mental image).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we also read it as a typo that should have said "characterS". More importantly, note that you can only have one handheld per character, as per the glossary in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.