Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By popular demand we have posted the game board for The Guns of Gettysburg.

You can find it here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1498695/the-guns-of-gettysbur...

As always, constructive feedback is welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameboard is beautiful. I can't tell you how excited I am about the publication of this game. While the box and rules design is a bit of a disappointment (okay, more than just a bit), I am still overwhelmingly pleased that the game will see the light of day.

Now for BaM2e and Stavka!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks huge! How big is this thing on the table?

PS - I do love it though!!! It looks amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:

Napoleon's Triumph was huge too. And beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:

I am away from my files at the moment, but its in the region of 22" x 34", so quite large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
claudio212 wrote:
dumpty wrote:

Napoleon's Triumph was huge too. And beautiful.

Actually ... the map-board for Guns of Gettysburg is half the size of Napoleon's Triumph; it's 17" by 22" (43.18 cm x 55.88 cm). [It's also the same size as Bowen's first game, Bonaparte at Marengo.)

I wasn't sure if the map board for GoG would be sufficient to give enough space for displaying the units of both armies, and allow them room to maneuver, but I am happy to report that there is room enough for both!

While I enjoy immensely the map board for Napoleon's Triumph (indeed, its hugeness is always something new players and onlookers marvel at), it's also nice to have a smaller (normal, really) size map that fits on a regular table easily.

As a lucky playtester of this brilliant game, I can only quote the great labor organizer, Eugene B. Debs:

"I have been to the future, and it works!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David, just to clarify, the files that Bowen has given us for production have the board at 22" x 34". Perhaps there was some other reason for your playtest being on 17" x 22".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
As a lucky playtester of this brilliant game, I can only quote the great labor organizer, Eugene B. Debs:

"I have been to the future, and it works!"

+++ for the Debs reference. Very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David was correct in saying that the Guns of Gettysburg map is roughly the same size as Bonaparte at Marengo, but the dimensions he gave for BaM and NT were off. The map for Bonaparte at Marengo is actually 22" x 30", and the Napoleon's Triumph map is 34" x 44".

[edit] I think I see what happened - David meant to say half the size of NT and inadvertantly came up with 1/4 size by halving both dimensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:
David, just to clarify, the files that Bowen has given us for production have the board at 22" x 34". Perhaps there was some other reason for your playtest being on 17" x 22".

The playtest maps were 22 x 34. Simple math error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The image of the back of the box also indicates a 22"x34" board. Looking forward to examining the board now that I've read the rules and design entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:

Yes, very sorry about this! Appalling math on my part ... once again, I always miss at least one crucial detail - just play against me in Napoleon's Triumph, and you'll see ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Goodall
United States
West Monroe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With all that I've seen so far, this image fits how I feel about the game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the map mounted? And if so, is there a concern that this will even further alienate the grognards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
Is the map mounted? And if so, is there a concern that this will even further alienate the grognards?

Bonaparte at Marengo and Napoleon's Triumph both had mounted maps. The people who are fans of those games aren't likely to be "further alienated" by getting a mapboard of the same quality as the one in NT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Bubslug wrote:

Bonaparte at Marengo and Napoleon's Triumph both had mounted maps. The people who are fans of those games aren't likely to be "further alienated" by getting a mapboard of the same quality as the one in NT.
That's a relief - along with the fact that GMT is not the outfit putting this game together. Over there I'm getting the message that proper war games only come with paper maps. The issue of the cover art seemed to ignite what seemed to me to be a similar group of people - I wondered what a more substantial issue (nature of the game board) might illicit. Or, perhaps Bowen Simmon's efforts are not considered proper war games in some circles thus not worthy enough to insist on paper, and let's not bring up the tactile wooden unit counters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the internet, people argue. Wargamers are used to paper maps; we pretty much all have plexiglass, and yes, some actively prefer paper. That said, GMT makes some very nice mounted maps; Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan, Andean Abyss and Space Empires: 4X for examples from my own collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kotsarinis
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Although I am mainly a solo wargamer, I liked NT and I eagerly awaited GoG. I am not particularly fond of the new box and I am very anxious about possible problems with the rules. However I think these issues will be addressed and I would be more than willing to buy the game BUT Kickstarter? I know it's maybe the only viable option for the company but int'l shipping + customs could very well double the price (for me at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.