Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark D'Agosta
United States
Massapequa Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What are the 3 numbers at the top of the front side of the Air Defense units used for? Similar numbers on the artillery units are for Barrage Strength, Final Protective Fire Strength and Range. Other than range, I don't see anywhere in rules where these values would apply to an Air Defense unit. What did I miss in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I always treated them as regular artillery units, albeit they have a higher FPF strength and higher ground defense strength too.

The thing I found a bit disappointing aobut the Modern Battles system, then and now, is that the ground units got chewed up and then hyou were left with a bunch of unharmed artillery units, that then got pressed into frontline service. The new approach by DG in its modern folio games is to dispense with them altogether and use the abstracty Fire Support chits but I am not sure if that is the right answer either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D'Agosta
United States
Massapequa Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, Brian. You treat them as Artillery units? From what I see in the rules, Air Defense units 1) halve the strength of TAC air units and 2) inhibit the usage of Attack and Transport helicopters. Isn't FPF something that only artillery units in defensive support of friendly units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I meant treat them as regular artillery units in addition to the special rules regarding their use.
This is reinforced for me by the fact that the AA units in Kabul 79 have "artillery impact" markers like the other regular artillery units, to mark which artillery unit is firing where. (for some reason these are not included in the countermix for Wurzburg; likely there wasn't room for them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D'Agosta
United States
Massapequa Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Still not sure what you mean Brian. The three numbers at the top of artillery units are 1) Barrage Strength, 2) FPF Strength, and 3) Range. Neither Barrage nor FPF strength has anything to do with Air Defense units. Are you saying that you just ignore those three values? That's basically what I've been doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No ER, you're not wrong - that is what I did say, and how I use the units.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D'Agosta
United States
Massapequa Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The light bulb over my head has finally lit up. I see in the rule book, section 2.6 "Unit Types", "Artillery units are those with barrage-FPF-range/defense-movement factors." And, in the graphical depiction of the unit types, the Air Defense unit is under the heading of "Artillery Units".

Thanks, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.