Subject: Help needed for a birthday gift :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys!

I would need your help again. I want to gift a board game to my best friend for her birthday

Here are the info I can give you

Players : 3-4 (can be a bit more)
Weight : medium to heavy
Length : up to 90 minutes
Not too expensive : up to 38-45 $ (30-35 €)

She has Pandemic, Dominion. Like both. We played Arkham Horror together and she enjoyed it very much. We plan to play Agricola and Manhattan Project in the near future.

Any help would be much appreciated meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the idea

I forgot something important : this time I have to buy locally, as the birthday party is next week, can't rely on shipping in time.

These games are available and seem in my price range:
Settlers of Catan
Hawai
Nuvus Mondus
Oddville
Small World

What do you advise me between those and why?

Thanks again meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list, I've played Settlers of Catan and Small World, and I'm familiar with Hawaii. Small World might work, or, looking at Oddville and Mundus Novus, perhaps either of those because the cards might interest her the way Dominion does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selenn01 wrote:
These games are available and seem in my price range:
Settlers of Catan
Hawai
Nuvus Mondus
Oddville
Small World

Not Settlers. If you want a classic gateway then go with Ticket to Ride. Don't know Hawai, so I can't comment.

I can't seem to find a game called "Nuvus Mondus", did you mean Mundus Novus? If so then I own that myself. It's a beautiful game. Not particularly deep and suffers a bit if the players don't pay attention and let one player race ahead. I've heard that there's another game that does that trading thing better but I enjoy the game. I'd rather steer you towards Bohnanza though.

Oddville is a bit of an odd game. I've tried it in Essen and my opinions are mixed. The way you get resources and trigger rewards is interesting but the fact that you can't choose the guild card you get and that there are only three each somehow doesn't sit well with me. It feels pretty random to me. But I was pretty tired then...

Small World I haven't played but researched thoroughly. It's not everyone's cup of tea and supposed to be not so good with just two. But from your selection I'd probably go with this one.

Other suggestions that might work are 7 Wonders or Seasons. Both should be pretty easily available but Seasons might run a bit longer with first time players (our first 4p game was 2.5 hours but everyone liked it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback! I'll check the two others.

Indeed I meant Mundus Nuvus sorry.

Thanks for your timemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
DIY Present. Make one yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not that got with DIY But thanks for the idea

Ended up with Hawai, hoping she will enjoy it I even got enough loyalty points to get Rivals for Catan for myself for only 7€ (instead of 21€) meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.