Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Too few advanced action cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marijn Swenne
Netherlands
Noordwijk
flag msg tools
I keep running our of advanced action cards. Especially with 3 player coop. It's just very attractive to use training or camp out at monasteries. Maybe I'm not adhering to the rules. This is how I've interpreted the rules:

To the left of the score board you always have 3 adv. action cards (in order) that get replenished the moment you take one away. You take one of these cards when:
-levelling to an even level
-when playing the "training" card (after discarding another action card)

Under the score board next to the units offer you add one adv. action card for every monastery that gets explored. They get replenishment at the start of each round. You can take one of these cards when:
-paying 6 influences as a local interaction at a monastery (no limit to amount that can be bought per turn).

Am I missing a rule, is this a known issue or did I not realize that playing this way is sub-optimal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you are doing something wrong.

At the start of each round (except the first), the lowest AA goes into the dummy player's deck, the other two AAs in the AA offer slide down, and a new AA is added to the top of the AA offer.

The AAs in the unit offer are not replenished until the start of the next round. At the start of the next round, remaining AAs in the unit offer go on bottom of the AA deck, and add new AAs into the unit offer equal to the number of unburnt monasteries. Also add an AA into the unit offer when a tile containing a monastery is revealed. When an AA is learned at a monastery, it is not replaced.

With 28 AA's, AAs could certainly run out if the game goes 6 rounds, and if the players are learning AAs at monasteries instead of burning them to the ground like they should be doing.

Edit: AAs like Learning and Training, and the Book of Wisdom artifact could also help exhaust the AA supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that you somehow have a "group think" thing going on where noone plays a lot of their cards and you are not moving things along as you should be doing

OR

you didn't remember that when a player's deck is empty he MUST declare the end of the round and all players have 1 more turn to play before the ROUND is over

OR

you don't use the dummy player correctly if at all

OR

all of the above.

Which is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfer Vanwey
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
The expansion (which comes out this week) should help with this problem, just make sure that the points that Mike and Vasilis mentioned aren't an issue for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
WolferGrowl wrote:
The expansion (which comes out this week)...

Bold words! Do you have a source?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
WolferGrowl wrote:
The expansion (which comes out this week)...

Bold words! Do you have a source?

Got any Swedish friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Rhynus wrote:
It's just very attractive to use training or camp out at monasteries.

Okay, Training is nice... but what's the advantage of sitting around at monasteries? You could be out cracking heads, gaining levels, and getting loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harkreader

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
'cracking heads' - good term

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
From the OP, it sounds as if you are 'replenishing' the Advanced Action offer whenever a single Advanced Action is acquired, rather than merely adding another Advanced Action to the offer (and keeping them so that the oldest is returned to the bottom of the deck at the end of each round and a new card is added to the front of the line).

That said, even in solo games I have been through the whole Advanced Action deck. However, there are only really two variables I know that can hasten the deck: revealing a lot of Monasteries early or using the Green City ability frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chung
msg tools
mbmb
I have played 3 player co-op as well and have run out of AA's, its not that hard because you have 3 players and a dummy player that all use up the AA's. If you use the dummy player app, this helps alleviate this problem a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marijn Swenne
Netherlands
Noordwijk
flag msg tools
Thanks for listen a bunch of additional ruling that might prevent AA's running out. I wasn't complete in my own listing, but I do adhere to all these rules, so it's most likely not a rules issue. I might not see that taking a lot of AA's is not the most advantages thing to do.

tumorous wrote:
Rhynus wrote:
It's just very attractive to use training or camp out at monasteries.

Okay, Training is nice... but what's the advantage of sitting around at monasteries? You could be out cracking heads, gaining levels, and getting loot.

I've played about 6 times, and it happened twice that I managed to end up on a monastery on the last turn of a round. I then (with some rep bonus) bought 2-3 AA's, and then on the first round of the next turn bought 2-3 more. Maybe that's a waste of turns, but that's what I meant by camping.

stybba00 wrote:
I have played 3 player co-op as well and have run out of AA's, its not that hard because you have 3 players and a dummy player that all use up the AA's. If you use the dummy player app, this helps alleviate this problem a bit.

This sounds like a great solution, but would that be upsetting the game balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marijn Swenne
Netherlands
Noordwijk
flag msg tools
Also, what happens to the dummy player deck at the end of the round when there are no AA's left?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfer Vanwey
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I don't feel it would be, the dummy player is there to keep the pace of the game from running according to the player's rules. He goes through his deck, and declares end of round surprisingly quickly at times. The AAs he would've eaten are pretty non-issue in my book, as they are most often In Need, Decompose, Blood Ritual, and Refreshing Walk.

Rhynus wrote:
Also, what happens to the dummy player deck at the end of the round when there are no AA's left?

The dummy player simply receives no card for that round, but still receives a crystal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhynus wrote:
I've played about 6 times, and it happened twice that I managed to end up on a monastery on the last turn of a round. I then (with some rep bonus) bought 2-3 AA's, and then on the first round of the next turn bought 2-3 more. Maybe that's a waste of turns, but that's what I meant by camping.?

Even with the highest possible reputation bonus, buying 3 AAs is still a 13 influence investment.

So you must have been pretty influence-loaded to do that twice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monastery tend to burn for most of us as we'd rather have an artifact when we think there is a good chance of us beating the purple enemy unit. Also it is generally the case that folks skip the influence skills as we are more interested in winning the next combat than recruiting the next unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marijn Swenne
Netherlands
Noordwijk
flag msg tools
Dulkal wrote:
Rhynus wrote:
I've played about 6 times, and it happened twice that I managed to end up on a monastery on the last turn of a round. I then (with some rep bonus) bought 2-3 AA's, and then on the first round of the next turn bought 2-3 more. Maybe that's a waste of turns, but that's what I meant by camping.?

Even with the highest possible reputation bonus, buying 3 AAs is still a 13 influence investment.

So you must have been pretty influence-loaded to do that twice?

yup, influence skill + multiple influence AA's. Or what also happened was 4 AA's available, first turn buy two influence AA's, second turn (with use of those newly acquired cards) buy two other AA's and a unit.

delewobmesid wrote:
Monastery tend to burn for most of us as we'd rather have an artifact when we think there is a good chance of us beating the purple enemy unit. Also it is generally the case that folks skip the influence skills as we are more interested in winning the next combat than recruiting the next unit.

Maybe I should focus less on influence, I've only burned monasteries in the endgame because reputation seems to be less important at that point. Next time, I'll have a go at burning them straight away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole M
msg tools
You can run out of advaced action cards but make sure:

You only appy reputation bonus once. Not once per card.
You only restock the advanced action cards at the end of turn.

So if you have 5 rep you need 13 influence to buy 3 adv cards. 6*3 = 18 - 5 (for rep).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see anyone specifying that when a monastery is burned, you don't replenish that extra card when the new round starts. So I though I'd specify it.

i.e.:
- this round, theirs 2 un-burned monasteries on the map.
- there should be 2 AA in the unit offer, unless one or both were bought (don't replenish until next turn)
- before the end of the round.. one of the monasteries gets burned.
- there could be up to 2 AA in the unit offer, unless one or both were bought (don't replenish until next turn)
- next round, only 1 AA is showed in the unit offer. Because theirs 1 un-burned monasteries

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morni wrote:

i.e.:
- this round, theirs 2 un-burned monasteries on the map.
- there should be 2 AA in the unit offer, unless one or both were bought (don't replenish until next turn)

Should be "don't replenish until the next ROUND".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.