Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used the optional 2d6 rather than flat 7 action points for each unit. German devils made a pact with the brave Poles. Russia had 3 tanks in the south east. 6 squads facing the Polish entry area to the north east and 7 in the swampy north-west. He abandoned the objective hills in the south west. They have 5 more tanks, 2 armoured cars and 4 motorised infantry due on turn 2 entering by the south east road. The Germans spread themselves along the whole western map edge.

Turn 1.
NW. The Germans and Russians clashed around the swamp. Initially it was a half-hearted long ranged business but became grittier as both sides were drawn in. The soviets got the worst of it as they were outnumbered with fewer support weapons. German infantry took the objective there.

SW.Motorised squads rushed both objective hills. 3 soviet tanks moved westwards to oppose them.

NE. Half the Poles slipped onto the map, scraping shallow foxholes in the trees and concealing themselves in dead ground. The other Poles cautiously remained on over-watch just off map. A tacit truce reigned between the Poles and the soviet demons. There was no firing, no mad dash just deliberate jostling for position.

Turn 2.
NW. The German invaders mopped up soviet backstabbers in the swamp.

SW. A T26 moving purposefully uphill was foiled by a mine placed openly on the summit. The minelayers withdrew in a hurry. 4 soviet motorised infantry roared up to the southern hill and fanned out whilst their transport pulled back. The German pioneer descended from that peak destroying 2 enemy squads and going to close quarters. Ruthless soviet tanks mass fired killing one of their own even as the pioneer died. One German AT gun moved to the northern hill but the 2nd took their own sweet time to get organised. His 82mm mortar squeezed of a few rounds at the lorry park burning out 2 of them thanks to Killed counters.

NE. The Poles brought on their mortar to cover the road with smoke. This allowed a safe entry for my vehicles to bound past the units that entered last turn. I intended to hold my position, skulking in the background but it wasn’t to be. A German LMG joined by a towed infantry gun approached the western hill. They exposed their flank to me and it was tempting to break our pact but I resisted. Soviet turncoats probed down the northern slope of the eastern hill revealing 1 tank and 4 infantry squads before they were gunned down. A good scout is a dead scout.

Starting at 9:00pm and stopping at 2:00am, it took 5 hours to play 2 turns. Soviet losses have wiped out his command action points. The Germans are well ahead on victory points. However Germany has only 2 anti-tank guns facing 10 soviet tanks and armoured cars.

Random action points were not popular. Our rolls were lower than average. Sometimes when the Poles wanted to hide or entrench they didn't get enough AP to do it. Often a unit under threat would roll low and be unable to withdraw or shoot back. If an attacker rolled poorly he could just sit it out for a round. We ruled that Polish eliminated counted only for the invader that shot them.

I think the Soviets would do better to remove themselves from between the Poles and Germans. Abandon the north to lure German and Pole into fighting each other. This preserves units and CAP. Tank superiority after turn 2 allows Russia to regain lost objectives. Don't be the meat in a sandwich.

Thanks to Jon and James for a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make the luck less extreme if you roll 3D6 and take the high and low numbers to make 2D6. It doesn't help much if you consistently roll 6s and 5s instead of 8s and 9s, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another trick when using random APs is to perform the high AP cost actions as reactions as a reaction costs all APs so you dont roll for them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredericus Rex
Germany
Bamberg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polate wrote:

Starting at 9:00pm and stopping at 2:00am, it took 5 hours to play 2 turns.

Wow ...I played the same scenario with 2 friends who where totally new to the game and it took us 5 hours for rules explanation and the game (5 turns)

Could it be because of the optional 2D6 Aps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon and James always make out that its me thats slow. Personally I don't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play tactical games with a timer. It keeps the game fast, it keeps the game exciting and forces players to do quick decisions just like what is represented by the game.
For COH i play with 5 seconds to decide upon an action, and if the clock rings then its a stall (if there is an already active unit) or a pass.

This way of playing is highly stressfull (in a good way), and tend to give victory to the player who makes the best plan before play begins and/or the player who is best at sticking to his own plan while forcing the other player to think by making unexpected moves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:
I always play tactical games with a timer. It keeps the game fast, it keeps the game exciting and forces players to do quick decisions just like what is represented by the game.
For COH i play with 5 seconds to decide upon an action, and if the clock rings then its a stall (if there is an already active unit) or a pass.

This way of playing is highly stressfull (in a good way), and tend to give victory to the player who makes the best plan before play begins and/or the player who is best at sticking to his own plan while forcing the other player to think by making unexpected moves

That's a good idea. Might have to try that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Torgoose
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:

Colin next time we play we should do this! This time though we should stick with the normal 7AP per activation rule!

I might have a chance of winning or playing a full game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random action points speeded up the gane. We rolled so low we couldn't do much at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Torgoose
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all of your action point rolls you only rolled below 7 four times! Not that we were annoyed with it or anything....

For those outside of our gaming group Colin always seems to roll very well when its needed, or even when its not aha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.