Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Bob Costas going to say he thinks we need to ban automobiles?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
Is Bob Costas going to say he thinks we need to ban automobiles?


I watched Costas' piece last week. I don't remember him saying anything about banning guns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at least nobody is using a tragedy to score cheap political points. That would just be wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
So little time... so many things to ban.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
So little time... so many things to ban.

Not sure you can 'outlaw' many of those (how do you outlaw accidents) and some are already are legislated. Also for many items (for example baseball bats used as a weapon) its a misuse of their function, a gun is a weapon that you use to shoot things (it is being used for it's primary function). Also how many of the unintentional injuries are due to firearms?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
So little time... so many things to ban.

Your graphic is incorrect. The total number of homicides was 16,799 and 11,493 were from firearms. I don't know where you got your stats about baseball bats but you're wrong.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
So little time... so many things to ban.

Not sure you can 'outlaw' many of those and some are already are legislated. Also (for example baseball bats the use as a weapon is a misuse of their function, a gun is a weapon that you use to shoot things (it is being used for it's primary function).


Ah, statistics. Right up there with lies and damn lies, right?

According to the FBI, 67.7% of murders are committed with firearms, compared to 13.4% for knives/cutting instruments and 13.1% for other or unknown (presumably including baseball bats). Also 41.3% of robberies, more than any other weapon - 7.8% knives and 8.7% other weapons - but slightly less than unarmed; and 21.2% of aggravated assaults (there, at least, other weapons are used more than firearms, at 32.8%). No statistics are kept for weapons used in rape.

Quote:
Aggravated assaults accounted for the highest number of violent crimes reported to law enforcement at 62.4 percent. Robbery comprised 29.4 percent of violent crimes, forcible rape accounted for 6.9 percent, and murder accounted for 1.2 percent of estimated violent crimes in 2011.


So (32.8% x 62.4%) + (8.7% x 29.4%) + (13.1% x 1.2%) = a maximum of about 23.2% of violent crimes committed by baseball bats.

Compare to (21.2% x 62.4%) + (41.3% x 29.4%) + (67.7% x 1.2%) = about 26.2% of violent crimes committed with firearms.

I'm sure there are other ways to count that come up differently, but those are the FBI's numbers for 2011. Make of them what you will.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
So little time... so many things to ban.



Where did you find this table? According to your source, 16799=TOTAL HOMICDES, not NON-FIREARM HOMICIDES. Your little chart also seems to be wrong about alcohol but I will admit I might be wrong about that. So what you are basically doing is LYING.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masaakunokouchi wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
So little time... so many things to ban.



Where did you find this table? According to your source, 16799=TOTAL HOMICDES, not NON-FIREARM HOMICIDES. Your little chart also seems to be wrong about alcohol but I will admit I might be wrong about that. So what you are basically doing is LYING.
And it's not the statistics that are lying, they are made up.

The real top ten killers.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

Heart disease: 599,413
Cancer: 567,628
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021
Alzheimer's disease: 79,003
Diabetes: 68,705
Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,692
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,935
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 36,909

(CDC figures), note that about half of suicides are gun related.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
So little time... so many things to ban.



Never thought I'd see DWTripp supporting a ban on cigarettes, but smoking is already banned in many public buildings, so it's exciting to see DWTripp leading the charge for clean air and removing one of America's biggest killers.

Ilthuain wrote:
Well at least nobody is using a tragedy to score cheap political points. That would just be wrong.


To be fair, setting aside the average 33 firearm homicides per day according to Tripp's chart, it's not as if the past few months have had a week without a highly publicized shooting in the national news. So I think if you talk about gun control, you'll always be talking about it in the wake of a tragedy, and it's ridiculous not to mention the tragedy obviously on everyone's minds.

That being said, if anything the Belcher case should be towards the bottom of the list of horrible shootings that support discussion of gun control, since the guy was only killing his own girlfriend and then himself. Which is horrible, sure, but doesn't pose the danger to society at large posed by the killing of strangers, whether individual strangers who are young and play loud music or wear a hoodie, or attacks on entire classrooms or movie theatres.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Much more tragic is the Father that shot his 7 year old son earlier today after leaving a gun store. They were getting back in his truck and somehow the gun he was holding went off and shot the boy in the chest. He thought it was unloaded, but he forgot about the round in the chamber.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masaakunokouchi wrote:

So what you are basically doing is LYING.


Ah, so THAT'S how we're supposed to run a civil conversation. Thanks, Joe, you sure cleared that shit up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tripp doesn't lie, when caught dispensing false shit it's always a 'joke'.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
masaakunokouchi wrote:

So what you are basically doing is LYING.


Ah, so THAT'S how we're supposed to run a civil conversation. Thanks, Joe, you sure cleared that shit up.
How do you civilly say to someone they have said something that is a falsification of the facts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, you may have made a mistake there...you assface.


Well, I tried.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Sir, you may have made a mistake there...you assface.


Well, I tried.


I suppose it could have been a genuine error. Except that there is also the fact he is wrong about baseball bats being the most common weapon used in violent crime. This reads less like a genuine mistake and more like deliberate misrepresentation of the figures. Of course it could just be plain incompetence, all of which of course then brings into doubt the rest of the table.

The best we can say is that Tripps table (and therefore his point) is so unreliable as to be (literally) worthless. Tripps opinions may not suck, but the facts he bases then on sure do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I don't know where you got your stats about baseball bats but you're wrong.


whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Heh. Well, if you look at my post I didn't say one thing about the graphic. I just tossed it out there. Little did I know that it would be as attractive to RSP liberal pukes as a turd is to maggots. Who cares where it came from or whether it's correct or not? Certainly not me. I just tossed it in because it's easily as relevant to NFL football as anything Bob Costas has to say about guns.

I forgot who called me a liar, but if this was taking place over on FB in our super-secret RSP, where angels fear to tread, I would definitely tell that guy to go fuck himself... because he probably has a vagina anyway. But since this is BGG, I guess I can't say that to someone who is being a dickhead.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one way to handle it, but when you're dealing with some know-nothing hypocritical douchepickle, I think I prefer Tripp's methods. Although Tripp does seem to think that the simple substitution of a penis for a vagina gives somebody a leg up with respect to fucking him or herself. I think it's important to mention that the person has to have BOTH a penis and a vagina to make it entirely practicable.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Heh. Well, if you look at my post I didn't say one thing about the graphic. I just tossed it out there. Little did I know that it would be as attractive to RSP liberal pukes as a turd is to maggots. Who cares where it came from or whether it's correct or not? Certainly not me. I just tossed it in because it's easily as relevant to NFL football as anything Bob Costas has to say about guns.

I forgot who called me a liar, but if this was taking place over on FB in our super-secret RSP, where angels fear to tread, I would definitely tell that guy to go fuck himself... because he probably has a vagina anyway. But since this is BGG, I guess I can't say that to someone who is being a dickhead.


Well if it's being used to make a point (it appears you were not trying to do anything) then of course it matters if its wrong. It has no relevance to anything abut guns, because it's a lie. It's not an opinion (even an incorrect one) it's a blatant falsification of the facts. By the way what the fuck does the NFL have to do with this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
That's one way to handle it, but when you're dealing with some know-nothing hypocritical douchepickle, I think I prefer Tripp's methods. Although Tripp does seem to think that the simple substitution of a penis for a vagina gives somebody a leg up with respect to fucking him or herself. I think it's important to mention that the person has to have BOTH a penis and a vagina to make it entirely practicable.
How am I a hypocrite?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:


As much as I hate to defend Tripp, he was re-posting some other site's totally inaccurate graph. Which makes the guys who made the graph the liars while Tripp is just the idiot repeating flawed information.

I'm pretty sure we've all been the idiot unwittingly repeating someone else's lies at some point or another.

So to answer your question, you just say "that graph is a massive crock".


To be fair to even you, who I really don't care for, I thought the graphic was silly in a way because of the baseball bat and the FBI mention at the bottom. The only idiots in this thread are those who actually said idiotic things about the graph or, in your case, about me.

I know you just can't help being a fool Dan, but I'm attempting to cover for you out of a spirit of game-related kinship. Oh, and I know where the graphic came from, sort of, because I have the power of Google at my command.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you fucking move to this country already, and figure it out, Slater! If you can't figure out from the context that there's been an automobile accident involving luminaries from the NFL then you have no damn right to be in this fucking thread, to begin with. YOU LYING SCUM!!!!
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
How am I a hypocrite?


I don't know. It's not always about you, as they say. Although my previous post was.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
masaakunokouchi wrote:

So what you are basically doing is LYING.


Ah, so THAT'S how we're supposed to run a civil conversation. Thanks, Joe, you sure cleared that shit up.
How do you civilly say to someone they have said something that is a falsification of the facts?


As much as I hate to defend Tripp, he was re-posting some other site's totally inaccurate graph. Which makes the guys who made the graph the liars while Tripp is just the idiot repeating flawed information.

I'm pretty sure we've all been the idiot unwittingly repeating someone else's lies at some point or another.

So to answer your question, you just say "that graph is a massive crock".
Fair enough, yes you may be correct. I just assumed that Tripp had at least checked the CDC site (as I did) to verify what he was posting. I assumed he was writing his own opinion and not regurgitation someone else's (something he often attacks others for doing).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.