Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please visit and read my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2420616#it...

Conclusion:

The box to this game is very enticing and the artwork on the box is great. The bad thing about this game is I'm talking about the art work on the box. Not a good sign.

I'm sort of tired of games where you spend X action points to move (not do anything else really). I'm sick of games where you move to collect things that you then move somewhere else to turn into victory points. This is not a good sign for this game, because that is all this game is really. Oh yeah, you roll some dice.

I'm being dismissive as I really didn't like this game. The game reminds me of so many other games and this done doesn't really do it very well (or better). The production in the game is very nice; the rule book is a let down.

In the end, I feel you can find a much better game. This is a purge.

Components:

The components in this game really are great. The ships it comes with are metal and very nice. The flags and gold chits you get fit on the sails so you can see them on the ship. This is a very nice touch. The cards (while optional) are of great stock and everything else is of top production.

The board showcases some islands and a lot of water. Everything on the board is easy to use and not distracting. For such a simple game, the production is very nice (maybe too nice).

Rule Book:

While the rule book is very short (really only two pages), it is a chore to get through. The game does not really explain how to set things up and because there are hardly any comments on the geek, I'm not sure I ever set it up correctly.

There is not any turn round or example of a turn. You get to move and have options of doing a few things which are explained later on. I never felt comfortable I was playing the game correctly. You may have better luck with the rules than I did.

The rule book is in full color and produced quite nicely. I just wish it explained to me how to play this game.

Flow of the Game:

As the rule book was so bad, I'm going to do my best to get this right.

On your turn, you get ten action points. You want to take over X amount of land in order to meet the victory conditions. You accomplish this by moving your ships around the board. If you are the first to step foot on a land (or move your ship next to it), you roll the native dice and the gold dice to find out how much of each are there. You can then battle the natives to stay there and/or take the gold that is there. If you take the land, your flags get put there. The gold can be converted into more pirates (this is abstract).

That's pretty much what you do. You move around and move your flags around. The most difficult part is to win you have man X amount of land for 2 turns. You also have to announce when you met a winning condition. So, as soon as you announce this, everyone targets you. Thus, the game last longer than it should.

Should I buy this?

This game is very cheap right now (under $20). I would still say no. I could name any number of games that are better and any number of pirate games that are better. In my opinion, the production on this game missed the target. It really deserved to have a better game attached.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for this review ! I have a chance to pick this up cheap, like you said, but I already have no space and need someone to tell me a game's weaknesses....
In your opinion, what is the best pirate-themed game? I have Pirate's Cove (but have yet to break it out...) Jamaica looks great but unfortunately a bit too pricey for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
house14 wrote:
Thanks for this review ! I have a chance to pick this up cheap, like you said, but I already have no space and need someone to tell me a game's weaknesses....
In your opinion, what is the best pirate-themed game? I have Pirate's Cove (but have yet to break it out...) Jamaica looks great but unfortunately a bit too pricey for me.

Merchants and Marauders for me. But it is long. I liked Pirates Cove okay. It isn't great. For my money, M & M is the best (but not light).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.