David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe the post could be called “Is Luke underrated?”

By now everyone knows one of the most effective strategies with X-wings is to get a target lock and focus at the same time when firing the primary weapon from at least range 2. Giving this ability to Wedge makes him an insane weapon. Garvin and Dutch hand out free Focus and free Target locks.

If you use Dutch, the problem is that he moves before Wedge, so when he gets in range to acquire a target lock, Wedge hasn’t moved yet and probably is not in range to get one. You can get Wedge into range 3 for the first combat round, so that on the second round when Dutch moves he can get a target lock, but that means he will have taken a few pot shots the first round, and likely not last to the end of the second, giving him only one meaningful shot. The second problem is that a Y-wing’s navigation strategy is much different than an X-wing, since a Y-wing has a 360 firing arc with the Ion cannon. So having those two ships fly within range 2 of each other the whole battle will hurt one of them.

The second option is Garvin. My dream build is Wedge+Swarm Tactics, Garvin, Rookie X-wing, and Gold Y-wing with Ion Cannon. Unfortunately this is 101 points. So until they release the Novice X-wing Pilot Skill 1 Cost 20, if you want a 4-ship squad with Wedge and Garvin you can’t have an Ion cannon. Not the end of the world, but the biggest problem with Wedge is that he dies in a round or two without Biggs to protect him. If you have Wedge and Biggs, you can’t afford either Dutch or Garvin in a 4-ship build.

So I was looking at that dream build of 101 points and realized that Luke is 1 point cheaper than Wedge.

I’ve studied this chart a lot:

If you assume Wedge’s attack to be 3+F against 2 defense dice, his expected damage value is about 1.55. However, if you take any other X-wing with 3 Attack dice, Target Lock, and Focus against 3 defense dice, your expected damage is about 1.7. So while Wedge, Dutch, and two rookies is an affordable build, the rookie that gets Dutch’s target lock and uses his own focus, has more damage potential than Wedge.

So, really, having Dutch and three rookie X-wings can do a lot of damage. But you have a lot of extra points left over. Adding Biggs doesn’t make sense. Garvin makes a lot of sense because now at least two of the X-wings can fire with target lock and Focus each turn. However, Garvin becomes the new target and he won’t last long. Now adding Biggs makes sense to protect Garvin, but your highest skill pilot is a 6 and half the Imps will have fired before you do if they know how to implement Swarm Tactics.

So, what about Luke.

Luke’s ability is almost a 2f for defense. Only on the occasion that you roll two Focus for your defense roll (a 6.25% chance) is Luke’s ability not as good as having a Focus. If you look at the damage chart, the defense possibilities are ranked from least effective to most effective. 2f is slightly more effective than 3 defense dice. Because Luke’s ability isn’t quite 2f, we’ll say it is as good as rolling three unmodified defense dice.

Luke doesn’t need Biggs for protection. In fact, the Imps will probably keep Luke for last, since he does no more damage than any other rookie X-wing out there. However, saving him for last means you won’t be able to focus fire on him, and Imps will have lost most of their offensive TIEs by the time they decide to deal with Luke.

So the build of Luke + Swarm Tactics, Garvin, Rookie X-wing, Gold Y-wing + Ion cannon, comes in at 100. Now Garvin becomes the prime target. However, if you treat him like Biggs, where he hangs back at range 2 or 3 from the enemy, he isn’t a very inviting target. And unlike Biggs, who has to stay at range 1 of everyone to protect them, Garvin only has to stay at range 1 of Luke to take advantage of Swarm tactics. He can stay at range 2 for everyone else since that is the range of his ability. And really, Garvin can give his ability to the rookie X-wing if he wants, since he will do just as much damage as Luke, so Garvin doesn’t need to fire before Luke. And if the enemy does fire at Garvin first with Vader or Vader’s swarm tactics buddy, then Garvin can use his focus token in defense and you don’t even need to worry about firing order.

I’m definitely going to try this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have the utmost respect for math, but nothing takes the fun out of a game quicker for me than those that over-analyze a game to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
I have the utmost respect for math, but nothing takes the fun out of a game quicker for me than those that over-analyze a game to death.

Respectfully disagree.

This was an interesting read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question of whether or not Wedge is overrated really depends on the build in which he finds himself.

In a squad where you have Wedge with R2-D2 flying around with generics, yes he's overrated, because you've effectively paid +12 points to use Wedge's ability on one or maybe two attacks. That's not worth 12 points.

In a squad with Wedge, Dutch, and Biggs the dashing Corellian is like a god of the stars, but the squad overall may not have enough staying power to be terribly reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:

Then why are you reading the strategy forum?

edit: ...of a game where math is so important? I enjoy a game much more when I fully engage with its systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
RogueThirteen wrote:
The question of whether or not Wedge is overrated really depends on the build in which he finds himself.

In a squad where you have Wedge with R2-D2 flying around with generics, yes he's overrated, because you've effectively paid +12 points to use Wedge's ability on one or maybe two attacks. That's not worth 12 points.

In a squad with Wedge, Dutch, and Biggs the dashing Corellian is like a god of the stars, but the squad overall may not have enough staying power to be terribly reliable.

I still find it amazing how quickly everyone's pilots goes down. None of my ships die that fast (except to double torpedoes from Wedge and Horton). It really is not that hard to not get shot at by every opposing ship in a round.

Watch some of the games from the FFG championship. I was viewing one earlier where Hothie never had more then two shots taken on any of his ships, because he never left his ships in overlapping fields of fire. He spent the first three rounds maneuvering before ever taking a shot (despite being shot at) and when he finally did commit his opponents squadron wasn't able to stay in formation or maneuver effectively at all. Because he was willing to spend three round doing an end around along the side of the table.

Rebel players are not going to do well if they can't get past that minor hurdle. Biggs opens up so much for you once you realize that he's there to rob the Imps of good shots, not to eat every shot every round. You don't want him taking 6 shots from 6 TiEs, you want him taking Mauler and Backstabbers shot at RNG 3 instead of giving them their bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
polychrotid wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

Fair enough, but that's why I said, "for me."

vantageGT wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
I have the utmost respect for math, but nothing takes the fun out of a game quicker for me than those thad t over-analyze a game to death.

edit: ...of a game where math is so important? I enjoy a game much more when I fully engage with its systems.

I saw the title "Is Wedge overrated" and was curious. Is that okay with you? I choose not to analyze things the way some do. I play what I feel like playing and don't even bother trying to optimize things based on extrapolations from data analysis. I shoot from the hip. I play games to have fun and optimizing things before the game even starts seems silly to me. And you know what? This is okay. My opinion is just as valid and warranted as anyone else's. I don't have to share the same opinion or point of view as anyone else to be able to post here on BGG. I wasn't disrespectful and I broke no rules. What's the problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
hskrfn822 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

vantageGT wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
I have the utmost respect for math, but nothing takes the fun out of a game quicker for me than those thad t over-analyze a game to death.

I saw the title "Is Wedge overrated" and was curious. Is that okay with you? I choose not to analyze things the way some do. I play what I feel like playing and don't even bother trying to optimize things based on extrapolations from data analysis. I shoot from the hip. I play games to have fun and optimizing things before the game even starts seems silly to me. And you know what? This is okay. My opinion is just as valid and warranted as anyone else's. I don't have to share the same opinion or point of view as anyone else to be able to post here on BGG. I wasn't disrespectful and I broke no rules. What's the problem?

To be perfectly fair you did imply those that are willing to analyze the math behind stuff suck the fun out of games. To those people that would come off as pretty offensive. Hence the reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, to answer the question: no, I don't think Wedge is overrated. Being able to kill rapidly is very important (especially when your opponent outnumbers you), but you may be right that Luke is underrated. But I'm not sure that the Wedge/Biggs/2x Rookie build can be beat for pure killing power right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ScottieATF wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

vantageGT wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

To be perfectly fair you did imply those that are willing to analyze the math behind stuff suck the fun out of games. To those people that would come off as pretty offensive. Hence the reaction.

Read my post carefully. I said, "I have the utmost respect for math, but nothing takes the fun out of a game quicker for me than those that over-analyze a game to death." Note the "for me". I implied nothing. I stated unequivocally that overanalytical people suck the fun out of game for me. Hence, I choose to not play with people prone to A.P. and overanalysis. It's a compatibility problem and my statement should NOT be twisted into something that implies that overanalytical people are somehow wrong or inferior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Quote:
If you use Dutch, the problem is that he moves before Wedge, so when he gets in range to acquire a target lock, Wedge hasn’t moved yet and probably is not in range to get one.

Dutch activates after a fair number of pilots. It is not uncommon or at all unlikely for most ships to have already moved before Dutch, thus ships have moved to Wedge before he has to move at all. And since those ships have already gone, you have the best idea of which will be your likely target. So I don't agree with this statement. Nor do I agree that keeping Wedge at range 2 of Dutch, is hard. Remember, Dutch's ability goes off after he moves. So you only need to move within range 2 of Wedge, Wedge can then go where every he needs. They do not constantly have to stay in range of each other as you suggest.

Quote:
Not the end of the world, but the biggest problem with Wedge is that he dies in a round or two without Biggs to protect him.

There are ways beyond Biggs to prevent this. People need to look less at the attack chart and more at the maneuver dials and templates. The math is great, but the only stat that matters is your Agility if you can't get stuff in your sights.

As for your squadron, it seems completely sound. I've ran Luke and R2 with 3 other X-wings in a sort of damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Do they gun for Luke early, who may be harder to down, or do they gamble that they will have enough to beat him in the end game. It works.

Other then just needing to put more thought into the maneuvering aspect of the game, you also need to take into account Rebel vs Rebel. Wedge really gets nuts in that match-up and my Luke squadrons have had issues keeping up with the fact that he can rip an X-Wing in half so easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
hskrfn822 wrote:
ScottieATF wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

vantageGT wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

Read my post carefully. I said, "I have the utmost respect for math, but nothing takes the fun out of a game quicker for me than those that over-analyze a game to death." Note the "for me". I implied nothing. I stated unequivocally that overanalytical people suck the fun out of game for me. Hence, I choose to not play with people prone to A.P. and overanalysis. It's a compatibility problem and my statement should NOT be twisted into something that implies that overanalytical people are somehow wrong or inferior.

Your statement isn't getting twisted, I'm just telling you how it read to an uninvolved third party. There's no reason for you to continue in this thread, if you don't want to have the type of conversation the thread is asking for. I'm just being honest with you. You are trolling the thread in your initial post by posting completely off the topic. Again, hence the reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottieATF wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

vantageGT wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

The issue is context. You came to the strategy forum, which exists for precisely the sort of analysis the OP made, and you said what you said. Would you also go into the sessions forum and post that you don't like to share stories about your plays? Or to the rules forum and say that you think it's no fun to worry about getting the rules exactly right? Or to every strategy forum for games you enjoy and post what you posted here? I hope not, because those are absurd positions to take given the context, and they don't add anything to the conversation.

Back to the topic, I agree that maximizing Biggs' ability is a bit of a finesse game. Stray too far and lose his protection. Come too close and be hit with a barrage. Walk the fine line and stick the opponent with range three, obstructed shots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
vantageGT wrote:
ScottieATF wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

vantageGT wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

The issue is context. You came to the strategy forum, which exists for precisely the sort of analysis the OP made, and you said what you said. Would you also go into the sessions forum and post that you don't like to share stories about your plays? Or to the rules forum and say that you think it's no fun to worry about getting the rules exactly right? Or to every strategy forum for games you enjoy and post what you posted here? I hope not, because those are absurd positions to take given the context, and they don't add anything to the conversation.

Back to the topic, I agree that maximizing Biggs' ability is a bit of a finesse game. Stray too far and lose his protection. Come too close and be hit with a barrage. Walk the fine line and stick the opponent with range three, obstructed shots.

Biggs doesn't even need to be a constant. Roll him away if he's dinged up. It's not like your other ships don't have 5+ health to give. Roll him back up on Wedge after Wedge takes a few dings. If you are just ready to throw Biggs off the table by round 3, just break out your templates and work out the fact that all of the ships have blind spots (an approach vector they can't respond to well), and every formation has weak spots in their field of fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vantageGT wrote:

...of a game where math is so important? I enjoy a game much more when I fully engage with its systems.

One of those systems - the most important one in this game - is dice. You can run the odds on games of chance, but once you actually roll those dice, you can throw math right out the window.

Good read, but I see both sides of this argument, as well as how little difference one less die can actually make once some (un)lucky rolls hit a real table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't really believe in the "expected value" of a random process without including some information on the standard deviation. An expected outcome of "2" sounds really good, but if the standard deviation is "3" then the result could still vary quite wildly. I'm working on an excel sheet where you can fill in Attack dice and Action vs Defense Dice and Action to look at both the expected value as well as the probability distribution around the mean.

The first results are quite interesting. Having focus/target lock or both severely reduces the standard deviation. For example, an X-Wing with both Focus and Target Lock shooting at a Tie-Fighter at range 2 will have an expected number of hits of 1.688, but has only a 5% chance of scoring less than 1 hit, but has a 23% chance of having 2 hits or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcelvdpol wrote:
I personally don't really believe in the "expected value" of a random process without including some information on the standard deviation. An expected outcome of "2" sounds really good, but if the standard deviation is "3" then the result could still vary quite wildly. I'm working on an excel sheet where you can fill in Attack dice and Action vs Defense Dice and Action to look at both the expected value as well as the probability distribution around the mean.

The first results are quite interesting. Having focus/target lock or both severely reduces the standard deviation. For example, an X-Wing with both Focus and Target Lock shooting at a Tie-Fighter at range 2 will have an expected number of hits of 1.688, but has only a 5% chance of scoring less than 1 hit, but has a 23% chance of having 2 hits or more.

I'd love to see that data. I've been too lazy to do my own analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:

Don't worry, Brian. I grokked it.

I agree that heavy analysis before the game or in an article is fine. Poring over homework in the middle of a game ain't much fun for me, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
marcelvdpol wrote:

I didn't do the all the work behind the graph that I linked, but I did enough to confirm the numbers are correct. The standard deviation is obviously not 3, but I see your point.

I just wanted to point our that Wedge is supper powerful, but there are ways to get the same result, or slightly better, with cheaper ships and a little strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Piqsid wrote:
marcelvdpol wrote:

I didn't do the all the work behind the graph that I linked, but I did enough to confirm the numbers are correct. The standard deviation is obviously not 3, but I see your point.

I just wanted to point our that Wedge is supper powerful, but there are ways to get the same result, or slightly better, with cheaper ships and a little strategy.

As I stated your look at Dutch and his interaction with Wedge stuck me as misstated as the issues you brought up aren't really issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
This is why I like the build of Garven and Vander with two rookies. I can give two X-Wings a turn both lock on and focus in the one turn. It is fairly low on pilot skill, but X-Wings don't usually die in one round, plus there is redundancy in the list as if Garven dies Vader can still keep buffing the rookie X-Wings, and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
vantageGT wrote:

...of a game where math is so important? I enjoy a game much more when I fully engage with its systems.

One of those systems - the most important one in this game - is dice. You can run the odds on games of chance, but once you actually roll those dice, you can throw math right out the window.

That's true, but not terribly relevant. The point of thinking about probability beforehand is that it's the only valid way of fortunetelling; once the dice are on the table, you don't need to figure out what they'll be.

Quote:
Good read, but I see both sides of this argument, as well as how little difference one less die can actually make once some (un)lucky rolls hit a real table.

I have just as many dice superstitions as the next gamer, but luck is just another way of talking about randomness. Probability theory and the calculus of random variables are ways of feeling out the shape of the available randomness. If your opponent needs luck to run his way in order to beat you (needs a set of moderately extreme results, all in the same direction), and all you need is for your luck to run even (for the results to trend toward the mean over the course of the game), you haven't removed luck from the game--but you've stacked the deck in your own favor.

Back on topic...

I don't think Wedge is overrated at all. Meanwhile Luke's biggest problem is that for one more point you can get Wedge. Luke also favors a more defensive game, and attacking is both more fun and slightly favored by the game mechanics (more hit results on red dice than dodge results on green dice).

One of the lists I'm mulling over for the Kessel Run is very similar to one the OP suggests, though; I'll try to remember to come back to the thread and talk about how it went.

[Slightly edited for typos.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vantageGT wrote:

I disagree. Due to the dice of the game, and particularly due to the maneuver mechanic, math has very little to do with this game. The best part of this game is how to bluff/outbluff your opponent on maneuvers. The "math" becomes secondary, especially since it all random anyways (dice rolls).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Piqsid wrote:

The second option is Garvin. My dream build is Wedge+Swarm Tactics, Garvin, Rookie X-wing, and Gold Y-wing with Ion Cannon. Unfortunately this is 101 points. So until they release the Novice X-wing Pilot Skill 1 Cost 20, if you want a 4-ship squad with Wedge and Garvin you can’t have an Ion cannon. Not the end of the world, but the biggest problem with Wedge is that he dies in a round or two without Biggs to protect him. If you have Wedge and Biggs, you can’t afford either Dutch or Garvin in a 4-ship build.

So I was looking at that dream build of 101 points and realized that Luke is 1 point cheaper than Wedge.

Well, next month the next wave of ships is released and an A-Wing may be able to take the place of the Rookie Pilot in that dream four ship build. It may not have the same damage output but it could serve a similar roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
vantageGT wrote:

I disagree. Due to the dice of the game, and particularly due to the maneuver mechanic, math has very little to do with this game. The best part of this game is how to bluff/outbluff your opponent on maneuvers. The "math" becomes secondary, especially since it all random anyways (dice rolls).

-shnar

Man this makes my head hurt. If you think the math doesn't matter (or matters less) because it's "all random anyways," then you don't understand math. Specifically, probability and statistics.

Everything on that chart is 100% accurate and should be very helpful in guiding decision making in this game, both in squad building and in play. There is no reason not to give it full credence. No one has ever claimed that this is a math only game, but to dismiss the math component of it would be foolish, especially since that side of things is easy to analyze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.