4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Campaign Scenarios question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
b p
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, the campaigns in this game have been split into shorter scenarios. Scenarios of an hour or less. Is this true? If so, how satisfying is such a scenario? Is it feasible to play one scenario a week or so? The hour time limit is what I am really interested in here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two ways you can play this game: either as single quests after which everything resets, or a continuous campaign made up of nine quests in which everybody retains the same character/class and gains experience to build his character.

Most (not all) quests are broken up into two encounters, and each encounter is supposed to last roughly one hour, with a full two-encounter quest taking about two hours. However, what I have personally found with my group is that one encounter takes us about two hours. This may have a lot to do with us playing with the full amount of players; people who only play with 2 or 3 players (two heroes in either case) report shorter times.

Regardless of whether you choose to do a campaign or one-off quests, you will likely only be playing one to two encounters per play session. If you do play campaign, there is an additional campaign phase (gaining skills and equipment), but the time added for that is negligible.

If you have a strict 1-hour time limit, I don't know that this would be a very good choice, unless you force everybody to make decisions really quickly. If your time limit has some leeway, then you may still want to consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though you could play single encounter per session it's a bit harder to "save" than when you do before quests.

OL deck and hand have to be saved, search deck as well, and wounds of all heroes. You don't reshuffle mentioned decks between encounters.

Most of the quests have 2 encounters, so having 2-3 hours to play trough a quest a good idea. My group takes about 4-5 hours per quest. We have 4 players, but it's mostly fault of OL, who slows things down a lot by trolling and irritating heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The way my group saves the state of the game between encounters is that everybody has his own plastic bag for his character, hero tokens, equipment, and skill cards. Between Encounter 1 and Encounter 2 of any quest, it also holds wounds/hearts, search cards that have been picked up (so no need to worry about the search deck; it is by default everything that hasn't been picked up yet).

As Overlord I would put my different sets of cards (OL deck, OL hand, OL discard, and OL not-being-used-in-this-particular-quest) back-to-front to separate them in their bag, but it still requires some memory to remember which is which. I suppose it would be just as easy to have labeled bags to separate them all out.

The only other thing is that heroes need to remember whether they have used their search cards or not, and the way we have handled it is just to face them in the same direction as skill/equipment cards if they haven't been used, or in the opposite direction if they have been used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.