Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a new job where I travel a lot all over the United States, though mainly the East Coast, and often have a few hours to kill wherever I go. I enjoy CCG's and figure I could research about game shops wherever I am about to go and maybe drop in and play a few matches in my downtime.

I realize that Magic the Gathering is the one to do, but I have worn myself out with that game after 11 years of it. I liked Pokemon when it first came out but have not even looked at it since the Jungle expansion and I am guessing it has changed a decent amount.

What I am really looking for are active ones though. If I drop in a store I would like at least a chance of finding someone to play it with. The World of Warcraft CCG and Fight!! Vanguard CCG seem like they have halfway decent communities. Any thoughts on them? Or thoughts on others I have or have not mentioned?

Thank you very much for any input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super varal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game is pretty popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A O
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Era is new and playable online as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Morland
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend of the Five Rings is probably one of the next biggest CCG properties out there and is worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yu Gi Oh, Pokemon, and Magic are the big three. However keep in mind that the average age tends to be lower with the first two. Depends on the local metas obviously, but Magic's average player age is getting older while still expanding, while Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh tend to start young and bleed the older kids out the other side to other games/hobbies. I think part of this is when a Magic player quits, they almost always come back in a few years... while Pokemon and YGO that's just not the case, and in many cases just end up going to Magic.

As for other games, I think you might be okay with L5R, which has a rabid comunity. However, you'd need to do some research on the towns you travel in. You totally will be able to find towns that have very enthusiastic metas, but you might need to really dig to find them.

Also look into LCG's. Seems like there are plenty of local groups that are forming Netrunner leagues, etc. But again, you'd have to dig deep in research where/when for each town you go to.

The thing to be said about the "big three" is that typically you will find an event for any of those games on any night of the week in a large city. Even in smaller cities, you can depend on weekends having SOMETHING going on. With the smaller games, you might be seeing a group that only meets once a month or even less because they are having to share space with the other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJBenoist wrote:
That said, it's been awhile since I've been in game store, so I could be missing something newish.

When Duals of the Planeswalkers was released about 3-4 years ago, it ended up sucking in a large number of people who had put the game down back in the "dark ages." Right now Magic is more popular than it's ever been, and it's largely because of that video game and the weekly pro tour coverage that has grown dramatically since even 5 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Brooks
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I live close to Roseville, MN the headquarters for Fantasy Flight Games so my opinion may be a bit skewed, but I've seen more and more people playing FFG's LCG's. What's so nice about it is that when a new set is released, you buy one pack and have a full set of cards of every card in that expansion. One purchase and you've got them all. You don't have to keep buying packs to get a playable set of that one rare card you need.

With such a low barrier to entry, you can buy the starter set, one or two expansions and already have a tournament winning deck (if you know how to play it that is ).

A long time, very popular LCG is A Game of Thrones (AGoT) LCG. There are a ton of expansions, but you don't need them all to make a good deck. The latest is Android: Netrunner (A:NR) which will be having its first expansion released this month. Also coming out soon is the Star Wars LCG. Not as popular, but still thoroughly enjoyed by its followers is the Call of Cthulhu (CoC) LCG.

I'd highly recommend A:NR. The original Netrunner was designed by Richard Garfield (the guy who made MTG), so you know it isn't too terrible. It has some very creative deck building mechanics and innovative asymmetric gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as finding L5R games around the country: the 2013 Spring Kotei tournament season schedule was just released (find it at www.l5r.com). While a Kotei is a full day commitment, you could at least find a list of stores around the country (and the world) that have an active enough L5R community to host a major tournament from that list. Also there will be the local organizers' e-mails. The L5R community is very friendly and I'm sure those folks could set you up with a game as you pass through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kaijudo I think is the new face, well at least at the store it takes up the featured register counter spot.

andriod:netrunner and a game of thrones seem to be the most popular lcgs from ffg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoShek wrote:
I live close to Roseville, MN the headquarters for Fantasy Flight Games so my opinion may be a bit skewed, but I've seen more and more people playing FFG's LCG's. What's so nice about it is that when a new set is released, you buy one pack and have a full set of cards of every card in that expansion. One purchase and you've got them all. You don't have to keep buying packs to get a playable set of that one rare card you need.

I'm in the Twin Cities as well, and LCG's outnumber any other CCG by a mile at the FFGEC. However, at any other shop in town, it's the extreme opposite. The people playing at FFGEC usually are doing so because they are fans of the games that FFG puts out and are looking to play with others like them.

Yes they have Eurogame nights, but Magic never took off there because there are too many other local shops that have that base covered. In fact, we have one of the largest MTG communities in the country, and FFGEC is the only shop in town that DOENS'T have at least one MTG, Pokemon, or YGO event a week.

I'm a fan of LCG's, and also suggested them... however using FFGEC as an example of why the games are an obvious choice is like asking people outside of a church if they are religious or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.