Subject: Variant to round up the civilization aspect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiberiu Doman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
La Citta is an older game that I started playing recently. The game has a couple of innovation that make it thematic and increase player interaction without diminishing the euro feel of the game.
The game also feels very much like a civilization game - even without a tech tree. The population and food production grows, the cities expand and the three development tracks (art, education and health) increase.

That being said, the game feels quite unfinished. The initial placement can have a big impact on the score, there are no alternatives for some required developments and the incentive for growing your cities can actually die down in the middle of the game.

Here are the changes that we used in order to "round up" the game:

1) Gameplay:
- For 2 players, we added an extra turn in the beginning, without the "voice of the people" cards.
- Use a "flushing the political cards" variant where the cards are shifted down and a card is removed every time the players use their action card.

2) Buildings:
I added some "upgrades" to existing buildings instead of creating my own. The upgrade works by simply placing a gold coin on top of the build when you build it (so it costs one more gold). The buildings still have the same number of arches.
Marketplace: if built next to water and with a GC on top, it becomes a fish market which provides 2 food.
Palazzo: becomes Sanatorium which allows the city to expand beyond 8 and it does not need to be next to water.
Cathedral: will add Bakery which allows conversion of 1 GC to 3 food each turn.
University: will add Apprenticeship which allows conversion of 2 food to 1 gold each turn.

3) Winning conditions
Winning conditions change:
- Get 3 VPs for each combo of arches (black/blue/white) in each city. This provides more incentive for development.
- Every gold token remaining counts as 1 VP
- Every excess food (above population) will provide 1 VP
- If a player cannot feed its population in the last turn, he will lose the people as usual but the penalty is 3VPs per lost person (instead of just 5VPs).

This variant seems to work quite well. It allows people to specialize on food production or gold production. It's also about as balanced as the base game.
The only thing that I would like to add is an alternative way to produce gold. This would require a new building (maybe bank?) but I don't think that is absolutely necessary.

The other thing that helped us play the game better was to print out a Track board for each player to count Population, Food Production and Gold production. This reduces the upkeep - no need to count every single time.

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tdoman wrote:
La Citta is an older game that I started playing recently. The game has a couple of innovation that make it thematic and increase player interaction without diminishing the euro feel of the game.
The game also feels very much like a civilization game - even without a tech tree. The population and food production grows, the cities expand and the three development tracks (art, education and health) increase.

That being said, the game feels quite unfinished. The initial placement can have a big impact on the score, there are no alternatives for some required developments and the incentive for growing your cities can actually die down in the middle of the game.

Here are the changes that we used in order to "round up" the game:

1) Gameplay:
- For 2 players, we added an extra turn in the beginning, without the "voice of the people" cards.
- Use a "flushing the political cards" variant where the cards are shifted down and a card is removed every time the players use their action card.

2) Buildings:
I added some "upgrades" to existing buildings instead of creating my own. The upgrade works by simply placing a gold coin on top of the build when you build it (so it costs one more gold). The buildings still have the same number of arches.
Marketplace: if built next to water and with a GC on top, it becomes a fish market which provides 2 food.
Palazzo: becomes Sanatorium which allows the city to expand beyond 8 and it does not need to be next to water.
Cathedral: will add Bakery which allows conversion of 1 GC to 3 food each turn.
University: will add Apprenticeship which allows conversion of 2 food to 1 gold each turn.

3) Winning conditions
Winning conditions change:
- Get 3 VPs for each combo of arches (black/blue/white) in each city. This provides more incentive for development.
- If a player cannot feed its population in the last turn, he will lose the people as usual but the penalty is 3VPs per lost person (instead of just 5VPs).

This variant seems to work quite well. It allows people to specialize on food production or gold production. It's also about as balanced as the base game.
The only thing that I would like to add is an alternative way to produce gold. This would require a new building (maybe bank?) but I don't think that is absolutely necessary.

The other thing that helped us play the game better was to print out a Track board for each player to count Population, Food Production and Gold production. This reduces the upkeep - no need to count every single time.

Thanks,

Some good ideas here. One of these days I'll have to try them. BTW, a player already gets 3VPs for having all services in a city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 3vp per combo means if you have 3 white, 2 blue and 2 black arches in a city that represents 2 complete combos, therefore 2x 3vp.

The standard rules say just 3vp if you have at least one of each, thats it. Not very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is, that those 3 points per combo gives you an incentive to work on different cities instead of just 1 big one which will draw people from mnay others. Giving 3 points per set within a city will remove that incentive and might destroy the balancing thus.

Maybe one could give 3 ponts for the first set (like original rule) + 1 for each additional set within the same city.

Or:
2 points for the cities with the majority in each of the 3 categories.
+ 2 for the city with teh most sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tdoman wrote:

Gold seems much too strong with this rule. Make it 1 VP for each 3 gold left.

The food rule is nonsense, it would mean that population will not count at all anymore.

The third one seems good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.