Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack S.
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
What constitutes "a space in France" for Catherine's Flying Squadron? Does that mean a space under French political control, a space in the French religious struggle zone, or some combination of the two? In either case can it be used to cancel events targeting powers other than France?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question Zack. I am not 100% sure if the second half of the card deals with spaces controlled by France, French religious struggle zones, or initial French home spaces. Personally I think it deals with all spaces which are listed as French home spaces (even the divided French/Huguenot home spaces), but I may be wrong. I was wrong, see my post below!

In regards to your second question, I think this response card can cancel events targeting powers other than France.

The card is divided into two parts. The first section states:

Quote:
These events may be cancelled at any time: Foxe's Book of Martyrs, Huguenot Lent, Iconoclastic Fury, Jeanne of Navarre

There are no conditions for cancelling these specific cards in this section. In fact two of these events, Foxe's Book of Martyrs and Iconoclastic Fury, can target other religious struggle zones.

The cards in the second section do have a condition, but the card just lists that the space has to be in France. Here's a quote from that half:

Quote:
These events may be cancelled if targetting a space in France:

I think the second section clearly can cancel events which target spaces in France, not just the French player. So players other than France could be protected by the response card. I guess we just need a clarification on what constitutes "France"!

EDIT: Found an answer, see below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay after digging around the rule book, I think I found an answer, check out section 2.3 Religious Influence (pg 4):

Quote:
Religious Struggle Areas:

The background of the game map is color-coded to depict the four regions where religious influence may change during play. Spaces surrounded by this color-coding are considered to be inside these regions. The four religious struggle areas are:

Religious Struggle Area Area Color
Netherlands - orange
France - dark blue
England - red
Scotland - light blue

Use these areas to delineate eligible spaces for any rules or cards that specify an event takes place “in the Netherlands,” “in France,” “in England” or “in Scotland.”

So when the card's second section lists "in France" it means any space in the French religious struggle zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McKenzie
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
I questioned whether or not Bayonne would count for the Catholic League, but based on this the answer is yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.