Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I'm brainstorming ideas for a miniature game, and so far I have almost everything I need, though there are some questions I need expert (/guru/"know-all-collector")-advice on.

1) What is the most popular size for a miniature (28mm?), and what is the most used size for their stands?

2) What is the second most popular size for a miniature, and what is the most used size for their stands?

3) On a rough estimate, how big a percentage of all miniatures sold/owned, do you think the most and second most popular (above) are?

4) Based on the above, how large should a foam cubicle inside a transportation-box be for each miniature? (a link to what you use would be fine - you don't have to measure)

5) Based on the above, if the miniatures were to be used on a grid (square or hex), what size should the squares/hexes be, if the figures should be able to stand next to next other on adjacent squares/hexes? 1", 1 1/2" or bigger?

Thank you! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you are using them for.

Assuming RPG's (or skirmish games) 28mm are the most popular scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Ahh, yes. For board games (RPG included).

Do you know the answers to any of the other questions? I'm finding it hard to find the numbers I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madster321 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Ahh, yes. For board games (RPG included).

Do you know the answers to any of the other questions? I'm finding it hard to find the numbers I'm looking for.

Stand tend to vary, I use either 1p's)say 1/2 inch) or 2p's (based on the size of the models actual base), GW slota bases are about the size of a 2p (or about 1 inch).

Second most popular is 15mm (actually more are sold, but not for the uses I suspect you want).

This gives you some idea of a tray used for 28mm http://www.reviewingwargames.com/wargamereviews/krcarrycase.... (by the way I use KR minicases, but the foam inserts are the same).

As to grids, the old traveller deck plans (15mm) used 1/2 inch scale grids. Most RPG's (using 28mm figures) use 1 inch grids.

(cheers got the GG by the way)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because there is so much variation. 28mm is popular for rpg/skirmish level games. Base sizes can vary ; with larger bases needed for larger figures, such as large monsters. I good starting point might be to look at Games Workshops plastic bases (or similar ones from other companies).
30 or 32mm seems to be the scale for some manufacturers/games, and GW's LOTR figures are so-called "true" 25mm, being smaller and more realistic proportions than GW's other figures.
Round bases are also used by many.

As for foam inserts, again it can depend on the miniature, especially if there are any parts that stick out, like long spears or a dynamic pose. That's why some such inserts are made to be customizable, by making it easier to remove parts of the foam to fit your miniatures.

For grid sizes, it depends on whether there are nay bits of the miniature that stick out past the base. Otherwise you'd want enough space so bases in neighboring squares/hexes aren't crowded. The idea is to make sure there's enough room to pick up the miniatures to move them around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1&2) 28mm is most popular and 15mm is second. Note that I am not considering 1/72 figures or ay of the train or dollhouse scales here.

"Stand" is usually used for more than one miniature on a platform. Those vary quite a bit. For a single miniature, 28mm bases vary between 20mm and 30mm. I use 1 inch circles. For 15mm, I think 20mm is most common for a single miniature, but I'm not sure.

I would advise against requiring a standard of basing if it can be avoided.

3) you are not going to get any consensus on this. There are at least several dozens of manufacturers and none of them share sales information. Any estimate of existing collections or retail sales would be anecdotal and local at best.

4) For 28mm, I think of 1"x1.5 or 2" to be standard. That is what you will find in the currently mass produced models.

5) 1" is probably most common for 28mm miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For minis, 25mm is about standard. GW cleaves to 25mm for human sized troops, but some units can top at 35mm. Not counting the big monster types and mounted units. Ral Partha minis ranged 25-30mm. My old Bard award mini for for Greyhawk re-release playtest is 30mm.

For stands, for example GW uses a 20, 25, and 40mm square base set. (and Im told circulars as well but never seen them.) Heartbreaker and Reaper used a 25mm circular base set. Steel Legions and Wargods of Aegyptus use a 25mm hex base set.

25-30mm seems about standard now and makes units compatible with other games for customizations if players are so inclined.

25mm slotted hex bases seem to be pretty common and standard so Im going to guess someone makes and sells these to other game companies.

Squares or hexes on a grid should be at least as large as the minis base. Common sense that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Herbert
United States
Cedar Rapids
Ia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think it is less important to worry about what is popular, and more about what works well for the scope of the game. sure 25mm is probably the most popular scales especially with RPG players, I can't think of a time I used smaller scales in an rpg. But I will happily use 15mm when playing flames of war, or 6mm for epic40k or napoleonics, as these scales work and make for grander scopes, more epic battles, and make it cheaper to get a "large force" on the table. In fact I have bought some 28mm napoleonics minis (Victrix and wargames factory) and am currently slogging my way to paint about 3 units equivalent. Meanwhile my 6mm French and Brits are done and comprised of 6 units of infantry 6 cavalry and 4 artillery pieces approximately. So if your minis game is a warband level, like malifaux, or warmachine, 28mm is probably the way to go, for bigger games, unless you can make minkes enticing, few gamers will be likely to spend like they do with warhammer, I think a lot of minis players have enjoyed a good warhammer alternative for a while (for me it was confrontation, and starship troopers, but watched it sink, while warhammer players complain about a price hike, then salivate over the new skaven sculps, or land raider variant). So I am curious how big do you see battles in your game getting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One of the reasons that 28mm scale is so popular for Warhammer and RPG-style games is because of how important equipment is within the game. For many of these games, noting what kind of weaponry the figure has, what kind of helmet he has on, and if he's carrying a knife on him or not is very important to the rules of gameplay. These games tend to emphasize the importance of individuals and equipment on the battlefield.

For more traditional wargames, a smaller scale is used, where such details aren't as important. If all you need to know is whether the figure is a pikeman or an archer, and not what kind of bracers they have on, then you could use a much smaller scale. This is better when your army has a more uniform approach, and also lets you put more units on the battlefield, use a larger battlefield, and make more use of vehicles and buildings.

So the question is whether your game focuses on the battlefield and all the units are more or less standardized, or whether your game focuses on the differences of individual characters in the battlefield that need to be easily identified.

The answers to these questions should help determine your scale. Unless you want your miniatures line to be used with other people's products, I'd say you are shooting for a model system that is as small as you can get away with, without having to compromise aspects that are important to gameplay. Games with larger figures don't (usually) do so randomly, but because there's an aspect of the game that requires it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember a long, drawn out thread about 6 months ago arguing discussing scale of 28mm and how it would be referred to as 25mm, 28mm, 32mm, or 1:52 depending on who was talking and where you stopped measuring. So even going with "28mm", you'll get some variance.

Off the top of my head, games that use some of the various sizes:
28mm: Warhammer and the like (almost too many to mention)
20mm: Sergeants Miniature Game, and I think the Zombies!!! series
15mm: ... all I can think of is Gruntz, but there's plenty more here.
6mm: Hind Commander, DVG Apache/Phantom Leader games have a link to these from their web store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meredith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
What you also need to keep in mind, when you're working with artists and sculptors, is Heroic, vs True Scale. Here is the difference. Privateer Press is 28mm True Scale. This means the body types of the newest models especially, is scale to a real person. (Smaller heads that are true to form. (generally 7-8 heads tall.)
While Heroic Scale (GW) the miniatures are not true scale, but accentuate the size of heads, hands, etc.
You need to state this outright, or you'll end up with some figures looking way off from other figures.
You also need to decide just how close to scale everything is. For instance, a Space Marine is supposed to be a superhuman that is 7-8 feet tall. Yet many Catachan Imperial Guard Figures are beefier than Space Marines.
If you compare models from Privateer's lines, the Man-o-War figures do stand much larger than the normal troopers. Is this what you want? If so, make sure your sculptors are doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.