Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolf Van Ishem
United States
Queen Creek
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been making me a little crazy that this page says this is the second edition when that is blatantly false. The second edition is by Excalibre Games and it says so right on the box! The version by GMT is a 3rd edition and should be corrected on this page to show this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just fired off your post to the BGG crew.

I agree with it..

Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever see any database information on BGG that is incorrect, just use the "Corrections" link near the top right of the information module to submit the correction. Our database admin will then review it and make the correction per your submittal. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the counters (including that used for the terrain) are there any actual differences between the Yaquinto and Excaliber editions?

Yes I know the rulebook looked a little funny, but were the rules any different? Did any of the game data change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the decision is up to the designer, not some forum administrator.

If I recall the history of the series correctly the Excalibre "edition" was disowned by the designer and is not considered a part of the series.
Therefore GMT and the designer determine that this is in fact the second edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Excalibur version is a reprint of the 1st edition, same generation with glossier/crappier components and artwork. The GMT version is a new edition of the board game from the original designer, Jim Day, with a revised/refined system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize in advance for coming off a bit harsh, but this is a serious issue for me. The GMT version is the second edition as far as I'm concerned. I completely disavow the Excalibre Games edition for many reasons that I've stated in the past. One big reason is that they have never paid a cent in royalties. I for one wouldn't sell a game where the publisher (Excalibre Games) doesn't recognize what's reasonably due. This is a very close-knit business where we (designers/developers/publishers/distributors/sellers/gamers) should all try to uphold basic tenets of the business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Greatly enjoyed the interview with Mr. Day in Fire & Movement where he discussed this issue. I regret that I did buy the Excalibre edition many years ago, not understanding, of course, the issues involved. I am happy, at least, that I supported my local FLGS in the process if nothing else.

I own the original Yaquinto trilogy and I have invested in the updated 2nd edition by GMT as well. All the comments about the Excalibre edition are true (the goofy font in the rulebook, the maps that don't fit, the side views on the counters, etc.) and I agree with these criticisms.

I don't see any need to change the name of the GMT 2nd edition to anything but what the publisher/developer wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.