Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd Question

AP Fire with advance rules

Let me see if I get this AP Fire right:

1- my tank fire at Range M (50) at the front side of a enemy tank unit, no modifiers for this shot - used chart A (AP Hit);

2- I roll a 9 so its a hit, must be bellow 50 - used chart A (AP Hit);

3- My unit has RoF: Q, so it´s a quick fire;

4- Consult the chart A (AP Number of hits), cross reference the 50 in the row 50-59 and column Q2, so I have two shots;

5- One of the shots must be to the target enemy stipulated and the other can be to a different enemy unit in a enemy in a different hex?

6- Now I roll one die in the AP Hit locations (AG), or use one of the die rolls of the dice?

7- I roll in the angle front/side, and I get a 7, so the shot hit HS;

8- now I go to my tank data card and see that I made a 12 damage in the M range;

9- go to the enemy data card and cross reference in the level, no rise or fall, its a 4 in the HS;

10- I have made a hit of 12, do I 12 - 4 = 8 so its a KO (I am seeing in the enemy data card) or I roll a die and see what damaged do I inflict? I don´t know if I see the damaged applied in my data card or the enemy data card?

12- I have another shot and established that the shot is going to another enemy unit in another hex, I repeat the same all over again except determining the number of shots?

Sorry for the long explanation regarding my doubts.

Thanks in advance to all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes on the 50% chance to hit for a normal sized target, medium range, seasoned shooter, no other modifiers like overwatch or moving target etc.

Yes on the same to-hit roll determining the number of hits obtained, for shooters with ROF above the normal (anything quick etc).

Before any of the shots is assigned a hit location and damage result, you assign them to targets. You can put both hits on the same, original target. Or you can assign your extra hits beyond the first to another target in the same hex. You can spread the hits to nearby hexes only if the shooter's quality level allows it - veterans can hit adjacent hexes, elites 2 hexes away. Seasoned and green, it is strictly in the same hex.

Now for each hit, roll both dice again, this is the location and damage roll. Read the colored die (that would be "10s" on a d100 result) as hit location and the white die (that would be 1s") as the damage level.

E.g. firing from the front I roll 43, then the hit will be on the turret front (4 cross indexed with the hit location lines for front aspect shot), and the damage level 3 cross indexed with the shooting weapon line may read "damaged". (As opposed to a 1 being no significant damage, or a 10 being a brewed up e.g.)

After you have the hit location, you need to see if the shot penetrated. You compare the AP penetration number of the shooting weapon at the range bracket (medium in this case), with the targets defense armor rating for the location struck, from the direction struck. So in the hypothetical case above, if would be the medium range penetration number for the weapon compared to the turret front (TF) rating on the "front" line of the target vehicle.

If the penetration number is equal to or greater than the defense armor number, then the damage effect you rolled is applied. If it isn't, the shot does no significant damage. In the hypothetical, suppose the TF armor rating is 12 (Panzer IVG for example) and the penetration is 15 - then the target is damaged. Put a damage marker on it and roll for crew bail out (30% for a damage result).

Why damaged? Because (1) the penetration was enough (don't care how much, just "enough or better) and (2) the white effect roll was a "3", and (3) the "3" line for the shooting weapon reads "damaged".

Because some of the hits might strike plates that are harder to penetrate, or might hit a track (T, location roll 10, only immobilized the target), or the damage result might only be a no damage or damage rather than a full knock out, you may want to put both hits from your good rapid-fire result on one target, to raise your chances of a full KO. But you do increase the risk of losing potential effects to "overkill" if you do so.

Note that unlike the basic game, the damage level is not affected by how much you penetrate by. You either get in, or you don't. The "ones" white die on the "location and damage" roll made for that specific hit, determines the damage level.

Rapid fire results are rare, and many shooters won't have the opportunity. The usual case is you designate a bunch of shots (must designate before seeing hit results), you roll and get 2 hits on vehicles A and B, the rest having missed, you roll 2d10 for each of those actual hits (only), and get a couple of location-result pairs, and apply them. Goes pretty fast that way.

What you don't want to be doing is rolling 1 die at a time through the whole tree (just makes it take longer), and you aren't even allowed to reallocate main vehicle (first) shots after seeing how each previous one went. Only your rapid fire "bonus hits" can be assigned to new targets "on the fly".

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

The good news is that it all becomes instinctive very quickly. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the explanation Jason.

Sorry for my long example but I am "possessed" with this game, simply adore it.

I put other games in hold just to play Panzer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I will add is that if you are using the variable penetration rules, roll all four d10s at once and assign them as follows:
Black = location
Both Whites = variable penetration
Red = hit effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chandler Braswell
United States
Biloxi
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Seems the loss of deep penetration is a step backwards from basic to advanced. A big gun hitting a little tank should have a better chance of causing a brew up than a gun that barely penetrates. Maybe modifiers so that the results move right on the chart but there is always at least 1 chance on the lower result. So for example, the Pz IVG AP penetration is ND=1, DM=2-4, KO=5-8, BU=9-10 but if you exceed the penetration needed by 10 a -1 is applied to the chart so it becomes ND=1, DM=2-3, KO=4-7, BU=8-10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ChandlerB wrote:
Seems the loss of deep penetration is a step backwards from basic to advanced. A big gun hitting a little tank should have a better chance of causing a brew up than a gun that barely penetrates. Maybe modifiers so that the results move right on the chart but there is always at least 1 chance on the lower result. So for example, the Pz IVG AP penetration is ND=1, DM=2-4, KO=5-8, BU=9-10 but if you exceed the penetration needed by 10 a -1 is applied to the chart so it becomes ND=1, DM=2-3, KO=4-7, BU=8-10?

Penetration is an absolute. A shot penetrates or it doesn't. It's not a matter of a little or a lot. Therefore, a larger shell will, or those with explosive elements, have a great probability of causing a brew-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.