18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Making my own game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henric Melin
msg tools
Hello people!!
I'm making a game of my own and I come here to get some help and advice.
It is a card dueling game, NOT a collectable card game. All cards comes with the box (when there is a box that is).
The game is almost complete, I have a complete ruleset and all the cards are done.. in text.

What I need is help with funding and art and stuff, as I cannot afford to print the stuff, I have made an early beta of it by hand and cut out cards by hand and have hand writen text on them.
But as I said, what I need is art for the cards and means to print the stuff. Anyone willing to help, or who can point me to where I can get help.

Oh.. and I don't have a name for it yet either.. ..

About the game it self!

It is a two player wizard dueling card game.
Player take turns casting spells at each other, and the spells actually move between the players, giving them time to react to the spells coming there way.
The spells take mana to cast, and must be spent wisely. There are several elements with weakneses and strengts, and also wizards equipment that can change the tide of the duel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds a lot like MtG or Mage Wars... or other dueling card games (Yomi, Smash Up and what not)

I can't help with art...try Kickstarting it once you get good prototype built.

Good luck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always had a soft spot for the defensive spells in D&D. Shield, protection from evil, mirror image, protection from energy, globe of invulnerability and spell turning all had little quirks. Knocking down prismatic sphere is a little game all on its own.

Summoning spells are so flexible. Want to KO his crow familiar? Summon an eagle. Invisible stalker? Bring on a bat. All at sea. Call a porpoise.

I'm look forward to your efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can make a better game than Warlock I'll be seriously impressed. For years it was our go-to filler game for the end of the evening: "we've got half an hour; down from 301 anybody?". Not saying that you can't do it though, and I wish you luck. However, what you describe sounds like you are going a little beyond Warlock by adding "spells in flight" and Wizardly items, so what "weight" are you aiming at and what sort of play time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhcuatro wrote:

I can't help with art...try Kickstarting it once you get good prototype built.

I'd recommend against this and find a way to get funding for art before Kickstarting. People are now looking for games that are ready to go to print and not patient for the year+ it would take for anything less than ready, especially after certain delayed but highly anticipated games that should have been close to printing at the conclusion of their campaigns.Glory to Rome Black Box edition and Oh My God! There's An Axe In My Head being two that stand out around here.

Even the hugely popular Ogre campaign has people champing at the bit on delays of another 2-3 months from the expected shipping date.

I'd also recommend not using KS for the full funding of the printing and publishing costs, if you do go that route. That's a sure way to fail. You need to have partial funding already done - artwork and near final pieces with full cost breakdowns of what you need to spend and what is still left that truly needs funding, or you risk not getting enough (or any) support. Self publishing is a business that will require time and energy that you may not realize. If you do not have a full business plan in place, you will not get anywhere and may lose a lot more money than you expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Melin
msg tools
qiagen wrote:
Sounds good. You've had it extensively play-tested, right? Have you ensured that (i) there are no degenerate strategies; (ii) your rules can be followed by someone unfamiliar with the game, without your explanations; and (iii) there are no areas of confusion/game breaking flaws?

Yes, me and a few friends have been playing it a shared new ideas and fixes for the game, I even played it with a SVEROK (Swedens board and rollplaying game society.) employee, and he liked it. They have not read the rules (because I forgot them at home), but that is to change during the holidays.

qiagen wrote:
Are you planning to self-publish this? Or do you just want a copy for your own enjoyment? Art can be really expensive, so you might want to look into acquiring stock images. Why not inquire in the 'Board Game Art and Graphic Design' forum?

I am unemployed, so I have no source of income. I just want this game made so I can get it out there, that said, I'm not gonna stress it, rather work on it til it's done.

qiagen wrote:
Have you had someone proofread your rules?

Nope, as stated above

qiagen wrote:
Have you heard of a game called 'Warlock'? (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2146/warlock)

Nope.. but now that I have looked at it I see that there is one similarity, magic spells. That's about it.
This is more of a smaller filler game. I did not want to start with a big game. So I'm trying to make a rather fastpaced game that takes about 20-30 minutes each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeSako wrote:
qiagen wrote:
Have you heard of a game called 'Warlock'? (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2146/warlock)

Nope.. but now that I have looked at it I see that there is one similarity, magic spells. That's about it.
This is more of a smaller filler game. I did not want to start with a big game. So I'm trying to make a rather fastpaced game that takes about 20-30 minutes each game.

I'm afraid that you've misread Warlock. It is a light game and if you played it 2-P it would last about 30 minutes. It scales very well all the way up to 6-P (where it takes longer). It uses Mana to pay for casting, which you seem to have overlooked and the amount of Mana that each Wizard starts with affects game duration. Spells have any combination of physical and magical effects along with attack or defence aspects. Which spell defeats which other spell is determined by a Rock/Paper/Scissors-style lookup table. Very simple, pretty light. Kept my group supplied with an end of the evening filler for years and years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Melin
msg tools
Yeah.. I kinda saw it as a bigger game.. maybe because of the 6 player thing.

I to have the rock paper scissor thing, but here things happen when spells collide in mid flight. And certain spells activate when opponent get hit, or when colliding with other spells.

Ant the whole "spells flying across the board" mechanic is what makes this game different. Since things does not happen instantly, but gives you a few rounds to react to what is coming your way.

I think that my game is different enough to stand out, but familiar enough to not scare people away.

And I am thinking of ways to make the game work with more than 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeSako wrote:
Yeah.. I kinda saw it as a bigger game.. maybe because of the 6 player thing.

I to have the rock paper scissor thing, but here things happen when spells collide in mid flight. And certain spells activate when opponent get hit, or when colliding with other spells.
In Warlock the spell that you cast might interact with the spell I cast (and vice versa). The interaction is dependant on whether one spell depends against the other or whether they defend against each other - in the former the interaction is optional, in the latter it is mandatory IIRC (I haven't played for a long time and I'm relying on memory). There is also some spell reflection due to interaction (both optional and mandatory, mandatory interaction can be accidental or intentional)

Quote:
Ant the whole "spells flying across the board" mechanic is what makes this game different. Since things does not happen instantly, but gives you a few rounds to react to what is coming your way.
In Warlock in each round there's an attack phase followed by a defence phase. You cast an attack (if you have one) and I cast a defence (if I have one). So in that respect your game differs in that I can see an inbound queue of attack spells that I'll have to plan my best defence against. Sounds odd and a little un-thematic, I'd be interested to see how it works in practice.

Quote:
I think that my game is different enough to stand out, but familiar enough to not scare people away.

And I am thinking of ways to make the game work with more than 2 players.
Warlock handles this very simply - you just select your opponent for each duel (consisting of 7 phases - attack, defence, attack, defence, attack, defence, pray you have a useful card). It would be interesting to add an element of bluff in the selection of opponent for each spell - much like in Ca$h 'n Gun$.

Is your game a deck building or card drafting game? Warlock is a card drafting game - but you can perform hand management by opting out duels to allow you to, as we used to refer to it "hide in the bushes" learning new spells (discarding a card and drawing a new one each time at least one of the duelling Wizards cast an attack or defence spell.

You know what? The more I tell you about Warlock the more I want to play it again. I think I need to sleeve my cards - they have worn a bit and they have acquired a distinct "perfume" over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Melin
msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
In Warlock in each round there's an attack phase followed by a defence phase. You cast an attack (if you have one) and I cast a defence (if I have one). So in that respect your game differs in that I can see an inbound queue of attack spells that I'll have to plan my best defence against. Sounds odd and a little un-thematic, I'd be interested to see how it works in practice.

I was acctually inspired by doodle hex (on Nintendo DS) when I came up with this game. There you see the spells coming flying at you and you have to plan accordingly.
And the distance the spells have to travel is not printed in rock yet
As of now, a spell takes 4 rounds to hit, and the speed of it may be altered mid flight.

mccrispy wrote:
Warlock handles this very simply - you just select your opponent for each duel (consisting of 7 phases - attack, defence, attack, defence, attack, defence, pray you have a useful card). It would be interesting to add an element of bluff in the selection of opponent for each spell - much like in Ca$h 'n Gun$.

Since my game requires a board, due to the spells "flying" and the players need to know how far the have gone, and when they hit, this is hard. I have had a few ideas, but non of them really works satisfyingly.

mccrispy wrote:
Is your game a deck building or card drafting game? Warlock is a card drafting game - but you can perform hand management by opting out duels to allow you to, as we used to refer to it "hide in the bushes" learning new spells (discarding a card and drawing a new one each time at least one of the duelling Wizards cast an attack or defence spell.

Both players have one shared pile of cards, with 2 copies of each spell.
There are also equipment in there to change things up a bit. But not so many items so that you end up with a hand full of items
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeSako wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Since my game requires a board, due to the spells "flying" and the players need to know how far the have gone, and when they hit, this is hard. I have had a few ideas, but non of them really works satisfyingly.

How about a grid and some coloured markers? Each player in the game is the target of spells on a row of the grid. Each spell when cast is placed on the right hand column of the appropriate row of the grid, with a marker to show who cast the spell. Each "click", the spells in column one take effect and the rest all shuffle up one column. Doesn't really feel like spells in flight though.

If it was two-player only you could have a two-row grid between the players. As a spell is cast is placed on the appropriate row the appropriate distance away from the target of the spell. Each "click" each token moves one cell closer to the target. This has benefit of a visual cue and you get to see spells "cross" in the air. It also caters for different speed spells. To each player the track appears as a set of spells flying toward them. You could even have 4 rows with the extra 2 rows being used for counter-spells (which travel in the opposite direction)

It isn't seeming like a simple game to me I think the spells in flight aspect may add significant complexity.

Quote:
Both players have one shared pile of cards, with 2 copies of each spell.
There are also equipment in there to change things up a bit. But not so many items so that you end up with a hand full of items
So you are drafting from a common deck? Is there some hand management or is it just cast your "best" spell and draft a replacement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Melin
msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
How about a grid and some coloured markers? Each player in the game is the target of spells on a row of the grid. Each spell when cast is placed on the right hand column of the appropriate row of the grid, with a marker to show who cast the spell. Each "click", the spells in column one take effect and the rest all shuffle up one column. Doesn't really feel like spells in flight though.

Wont really work, as I now have three rows that the spells travel along towards your opponent, and your opponent cast his spells on the same rows, making spells collide mid flight. And if you dont want them to collide you have to play a spell on an adjecent row. But no matter what row a spell is played on it will hit the opponent once it reaches the other edge, unless he manages to block it or turn it around.

mccrispy wrote:
If it was two-player only you could have a two-row grid between the players. As a spell is cast is placed on the appropriate row the appropriate distance away from the target of the spell. Each "click" each token moves one cell closer to the target. This has benefit of a visual cue and you get to see spells "cross" in the air. It also caters for different speed spells. To each player the track appears as a set of spells flying toward them. You could even have 4 rows with the extra 2 rows being used for counter-spells (which travel in the opposite direction)

Already have a working two player system
What the game needs really is art and better tokens for various things.
(now I have cut out pieces from a cardboard box)

mccrispy wrote:
It isn't seeming like a simple game to me I think the spells in flight aspect may add significant complexity.

As the first test showed was not to complicated, but not to simple either. It does have a fine balance, and it does make for some hectic moments (in a good way).

mccrispy wrote:
So you are drafting from a common deck? Is there some hand management or is it just cast your "best" spell and draft a replacement?

How it works is that you never regenerate mana automaticly, but have to discard cards from your hand to get more mana, and by doing so also allow yourself to draw new cards. This makes some decision making, what to save, and what can I afford to throw away to get the mana I need.
And you are allowed to cast as many spells as your mana allows on your turn, so there is a small kind of resource management involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devil's advocate here, but it sounds like you haven't fully tested it well (only between a small group of friends and no blind testing with feedback). On top of that, it's sounding suspiciously more complex than you originally let on. Since none of us have seen the rules, I can't tell for sure, but your description of the rules above have holes you've been filling in on subsequent responses. That doesn't give a lot of confidence that your rules will be clear and understandable where possible questions would be easily found on a skimming of the rules.

Again, this is only based on your posts, which admittedly does not really say anything about your actual writing ability, but the description of the need for the board and what is represented on it, plus the description of how to get mana is only in the latest post after several other posts trying to describe the game to us. That makes me think the game is more complicated than you realize, which blind playtesting would tell you for sure after a few rounds. The closest we can see of outside testing was your showing the game to one employee of a game society, but with you there to show the game, and that is not enough to be considered extensive playtesting at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Melin
msg tools
qiagen wrote:

1) What is obvious to you with respect to your game may not be obvious to others.
2) If you think the game is perfect, you're not seeing the problems.
3) No game is ever perfected.
4) Time spent play-testing is inversely proportional to time spent writing errata and FAQ after publication.

1) I do try to write the rules in such a way that an idiot will understand. I am constantly adding more details to them, so that even the most minor thing wont get lost.
2) I do not think that, I don't even think this will be a top-list game, but I do hope it will get a fair bit of players that like it.
3) I know. All games has its flaws.
4) Indeed. and I have play testing on my schedule. But first with friends, and once I have a more complete game, I can send copies out for blind testing. And I do know a few board game communities that can test it for me, so that wont be a problem. I could even post the rules and cards here if you like so you guys can test it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make a copy for yourself and your friends, have a read through All the DIY Links You Never Knew You Needed and pick the methods that work best for your goals and finances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.