Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The cover of the box for Shark Park (Tenki Games, 2005 - Piero Cioni) will be immediately recognized by anyone who has kids, as it looks like it comes straight from the set of the movie "Finding Nemo". I'm not sure if this is intentional or not - as the game is produced in Italy, but my kids were sure that the game was going to be one that they would enjoy. However, once I gave the rules a once over, I realized that it was no game for my young children, but rather a fairly abstract game with the theme of sharks eating fish.

The game itself is very simple with players maneuvering their sharks to eat as many fish as they possibly can. The fish are hidden, face down; and players can have their sharks grow in appetite and abilities. Yet, despite the interesting theme and cute artwork, the game simply failed to grab me. The memory aspect of it was too simplistic, the tactical options were too obvious, and the game itself was frankly a bit boring. There may be some people who really enjoy this type of abstract tile moving game, but after several plays, I just don't enjoy it.

The board shows a grid of squares with three rings of numbers on it. Each of these numbered squares has a fish counter with the matching point counter ("2", "3", or "4") placed face down on it, so that thirty-six fish are on the board. Each player then places three or four shark counters (depending on the number of players) on the outside edge of this teeming mass of fish, in turn order. Players also place a token of their color on the green space on the appetite level track. One player is chosen to go first, and play proceeds clockwise around the table.

On a player's turn, they must choose one shark on the board, even one owned by another player if they want and place a "scare away" counter on it. This shark then pushes all fish away from it in the direction of the arrows on the tile. All fish in the three spaces directly in front of the shark move one space away from the shark. If there are any fish in the spaces they move to, then those fish move, etc. The chain reaction continues until either
- there's an empty space,
- the fish moves off the board, which means it is "safe" and is removed from the game; or
- a fish moves into another shark token, in which case it is immediately eaten. The player who owns the shark receives the fish tile and scores the points shown on it.

After scaring fish, the player may move their sharks, using two movement points. Each point may be used to move one shark token orthogonally. The player then "checks the appetite" of his sharks. If a player did not eat any fish that turn, they move their token up one space on the appetite track. (From "Feeling peckish" to "Hungry" to "Starving!") Players have special abilities depending on their appetite level:
Hungry: the player can either have four movement points on their turn, or they can use "Frighten off", which will cause scared fish to move past empty squares. Either ability, if used, will cause the appetite level to move back to "Feeling peckish."
Starving: the player can either have six movement points on their turn, or they can use "Terrify", which will cause even opponents' sharks to move when the fish are scared. Opponents' sharks can even be pushed of the board, which causes them to return on the following turn, or be "bitten" by another shark, which means they must surrender a fish token to the biting player. Either of these actions will cause the appetite level to move back to "Feeling peckish."

The game continues until all four of the "4" fish have either been eaten or have escaped (made it off the board). At this point, players total up their fish tokens, and the player with the most points is the winner!

Some comments on the game…

1.) Components: Despite the obvious inspiration for the artwork from "Finding Nemo", the artwork is humorous, and quite well done. The shark tokens look suitably menacing, while the clownfish look fearful and in flight. The board is a nice smallish one, with a faint picture of the ocean floor in the background, and everything is done in a crisp, cartoonish manner. The tiles are of a suitable thickness, and each player receives a large tile to show what color they are. Wooden counters are included to track the appetite level, and they and everything else easily fits in the medium sized box - it's almost too big for the few components of the game. It's certainly a bright, attractive game.

2.) Rules: The rules come in a full color booklet in four languages. Each set takes but a mere four pages, and has color pictures and examples. A couple of obvious things were left out, at least to me, which I got clarification from the author. First, a player MUST scare fish each turn, and secondly, a shark may not directly eat fish by moving onto them during the movement phase. While this may seem obvious, it was never mentioned in the rulebook. Other than that, the game was very simple to learn and teach, and I had no other hang-ups.

3.) Appetite: Having sharks gain abilities as they get hungrier is a nice idea, until you see it in practice. The main problem is that players must forgo eating fish for two turns to get to the "Starving" mode, which puts them behind players who eat fish every turn. And even in "Hungry" and "Starving", a player can still only eat a couple of fish each turn, although they might prevent an opponent from eating a fish. It just doesn't work very well. I played one game where I constantly tried to eat fewer fish, so that I could use more special abilities, and I lost miserably. The only time I see that the appetite level matters is when you CAN'T eat fish on your turn, so you get a small consolation prize.

4.) Memory: There really isn't much memory element to the game. Yes, the fish move around quite a bit; but since players really only need keep track of four tiles, the "4" pointers, it's really not that big of a deal. The rules say that to play a more "strategic" game the counters should be turned face up, and I can't see why one would ever want to play with them face down - it just seems pointless.

5.) Scaring: The mechanic whereby players scare the fish into the mouths of the other sharks is unique and interesting. In practice, though, it just wasn't very interesting to me. At the beginning of the game, the fish are so tightly packed that almost any scaring at all will garner points for another player besides yourself. Each turn, it's almost always obvious which shark to "scare" with, to get yourself the most fish. In a three or four player game, there's really no point to try and set yourself up for future turns, as the game board and fish shift drastically from turn to turn. Strategy may be possible in the game, but it's more of a "what's the best move I have this turn?" type of game.

6.) Fun Factor: I really, really wanted to like this game. The funny artwork and theme and the very idea of the scaring fish into another shark's mouth sounded fascinating and fun. But truth be told, the game bored me. I love Mr. Cioni's other game, Daimyo, and find it a fascinating game of strategy and tactics. Shark Park fell off the mark for me, and all I played it with agreed that while slightly interesting, the game simply wasn't fun enough.

There may be a few people who like games in which you maneuver the pieces around each turn so that other players help you out on their turn, but I found it boring and unmotivating. The game's physical quality is quite good but just doesn't have that spark of "fun" that I long for in most games. As interesting as the idea is, I'm just going to have to pass on future games and move Shark Park to the dreaded pile of non-played games.

Tom Vasel
"Real men play board games"
www.tomvasel.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklyn Cook
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:

The game's physical quality is quite good but just doesn't have that spark of "fun" that I long for in most games.

I, too, long for "fun" in most of the games I play. Sometimes, like Tom, I play a game to be bored and/or upset.

Fun shouldn't be had in ALL board games. That's just crazy talk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please don't give much weight to Henryludic's comment.
As you can check, he started an account just to give bad votes to Piero Cioni games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Roscini
Italy
Perugia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
a shark may not directly eat fish by moving onto them during the movement phase. While this may seem obvious, it was never mentioned in the rulebook.

We tried Shark Park on saturday. After reading the rules we were a bit confused about this issue. We decided that in order to eat, a fish should be pushed over a shark.
It seems that we were right!

Ciao,
S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.