Subject: Recommendation for 11 y/o boy, and 5 & 4 y/o girls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize up front for posting another thread on what to buy for the kids, but I'm a little lost on this one!

I'm looking for Christmas gifts for my friend's three kids, mostly looking for the boy right now. He is 11, and is really into reading and is a very smart kid (straight A's). He is 6+ years older than his sisters, so he spends a lot of time on his own. I was thinking of getting him a game that he could play solo, but (if at all possible), something his sisters and/or parents could occasionally play with him. The parents are not board game players, so the game would need to have easy to understand rules, but I don't want to get him a kiddy game ... hence my confusion goo

For the girls, I was thinking of getting them Animal Upon Animal. The whole family is very animal oriented (they have cats, dogs, ducks and go horseback riding), so I think they would really like this one.

Thanks so much for your help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Well here is the 2012 gift guide.

I'd go with a cooperative for the lad. That means he can play it by himself or others:

I'd go with:
Forbidden Island, Flash Point: Fire Rescue or Castle Panic probably with Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower if it won't break the bank.

To play the first two solo he'd have to play two or more characters - that shouldn't be an issue provided he knows/mum and dad remind him.

These aren't really reading/story games but they are good fun and no doubt will play to the strengths of his well developed imagination.

Further reflections on a game for a solo 12 year old: Co-op game for 12 yr old boy (not a huge gamer)

Animal Upon Animal sounds pretty perfect for the girls, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics should cover just about all the bases for the 11 y.o.
And the co-operative play and lot's of reading, will mean there is plenty he can do to help his sisters too :-)

If you want something less "taxing", then King of Tokyo might be more acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Octopus' Garden
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to what Liam said,

is a cooperative, story-telling game that might interest him that can be played solo or with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something solo, I'd try to get a computer game that'll actually make him think. Some of the management games like Railroad Tycoon are faves of mine. It depends on the kid / family, some kids I wouldn't get a video game since their parents lit them do nothing but sit. But I personally can't sit with a board game 1 player.

Maybe a couple jigsaw puzzles, 500 - 1000 piece? Just throwing stuff out there. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are the best! Thanks so much, I will definitely look into these. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases looks really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.