Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For what it's worth...

I thought I'd never be writing this, but the other day I played the Game of Life with my 10 year old son and 13 year old daughter. This was definitely out of the ordinary for us - they have been raised on the likes of Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Princes of Florence, Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, Pirate's Cove and numerous other "German" style games. Much to my surprise they enjoyed The Game of Life. I know it's brain dead, no decisions, but they had fun. My 10 year old laughed numerous times, especially when I had to use a second car with all my kids. I suppose it's possible to push too many "thinking" games at them - sometimes they don't want to think. I asked him about this later, and he said it was just fun and relaxing - that basically translates to no tension. With all the school work and homework they get (a ton more than when I was a kid), they just need to shut the brain down for a few minutes once in a while and let the decisions be made for them I guess. Maybe that's why some kids like them and why there is still a market for them (besides the fact they get shoved down our throat in countless versions).

Anyway, it was just an interesting experience, and definitely out of the ordinary. He still loves the thinking games - Goa being one of his favorites. I can't wait to teach him Caylus when it comes in...

But it taught me, once in a while I will be willing to sit back and play a brain dead, ToysRUsgame just to see my kids relax and laugh. And seeing them laugh made the game fun for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Peasemold
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
Peasemoldia
flag msg tools
mb
Al,

I think your experience is common amongst parents with pre-teen kids. My children like a variety of games, but we all have to be in the right mood (or have enough time) to play the heavier ones. The key is to have a stock of games to choose from that cover all bases. A quick game or two of Backgammon is preferrable to no games at all when you really don't have the time or enthusiasm for that 3 hour Doom session!

Unfortunately, games that are just 'fun' and not much else are discriminated against here on the 'Geek. They have a rightful place in the scheme of things alongside the ASL's of the game world. I think that some people have forgotten what started them playing games in the first place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Break the Safe is my daughter's version of this. Now if only I thought it was fun...

I'm pushing dexterity games for this slot. Gulo Gulo has been a big hit, but I haven't gotten anyone to play Hamsterrolle or Klondike yet --both look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember MANY happy hours playing Life, Payday, Monopoly, as a girl with my sister, sure there are better games and part of me wishes I had known about those games then (my sis still would have kicked my butt in Acquire for example ), but y'know, that doesn't detract from the fact that those games were still great fun for what they were, for us, at that time.

More and more I'm beginning to believe that nearly every game is the right game for somewhere, sometime.

Well, maybe not Phase 10, but other than that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
More and more I'm beginning to believe that nearly every game is the right game for somewhere, sometime.

Well, maybe not Phase 10, but other than that

Actually, even Phase 10 has a place: Minsk, Belarus, on an endless business trip in sub-zero weather with only The Witches of Eastwick on TV (seriously, every single night!) badly dubbed in Russian with one guy doing all the voices. Phase 10 saved the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that what it demonstrates is that boardgaming requires the human interaction.

It is just simply great fun having a group of friends and family sitting round a table playing a game, laughing, joking and just 'messing about'

The game itself could even be of secondary importance in this enjoyment equation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn strait... I can't comment on life, specifically, but there is room for all kinds of games, and I definately don't want everything to be a brain burner. I played Redneck Life a few months ago, and while I wouldn't go out of my way to play it again, I did enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarmom wrote:
Actually, even Phase 10 has a place: Minsk, Belarus, on an endless business trip in sub-zero weather with only The Witches of Eastwick on TV (seriously, every single night!) badly dubbed in Russian with one guy doing all the voices. Phase 10 saved the day.

Oh MY!! Uh, yeah, I think Phase 10 would beat that. OK, I now have to say EVERY game has a place!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.