Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Howell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My PDF file with the rules for "7 Blunders" has been approved, and I not-so-humbly encourage 7 Wonders fans to check it out. It started, as you might guess, just after we'd finished a regular game, when one of the players said "Well, I'd win this game a lot more often if the winner was the person with the lowest score!" "Hmmm," I said, "you know, with just one rule change, that might work. You can't discard a card for 3 coins unless you have no other legal play." "Let's try it!"

What we found is that it's as hard to lose 7 Wonders as it is to win! It's like playing 7 Wonders sideways, and it's lots of fun.

For example, one strategy people often try when starting is to avoid resources. However, since you can't 'burn' a card for money unless you have no other legal play, in Round I, avoiding resources means you'll have to take blue or yellow cards. The blue ones chain, of course, and then you could be forced to climb that tree. Oops. And the trading posts mean that if you have any cash on hand at all, you'll probably be able to afford to buy stuff later because your neighbors will have the resource, and you'll also probably chain into the caravansary or the like and then you'll have resources anyway.

So how about taking nothing but resources? They're not worth victory points at the end, after all. But, of course, it means you'll always be able to build something, and your neighbors will probably be buying resources from you, giving you money.

There's also that annoying rule about not being able to have the same card twice. You just can't follow any strategy to destruction as much as you might like.

Another way you may have lost a regular game of 7 Wonders is by wasting your time and energy over-buying military. Aha! Just get a preposterously large pile of military! Once you're 'winning' that, every extra military card does you no good at all. Alas, even if you could manage to just take the 18 points for that, you might not have a winning score, and it's very difficult to avoid picking up at least a couple more points along the way.

And what about not building your wonder? Ah, but being able to stuff some awful six-victory-point card where it can't hurt you can be very important. Even then, you still have to be clever, though. I recently played 7 Blunders with Hallicarnassus B. "Perfect!" I thought. "There are only three victory points on this side. I can bury three big cards in Round III under it, and in return, I have to rummage through the discards, and it ought to be easy to find completely useless discards to play!" Ha. When I built the second level in round III, every single card in the discard pile would earn me at least three points, except for two cards that were duplicates of ones I'd already played.

Anyway, if you're a fan of 7 Wonders, you really need to give 7 Blunders a try. It sounds like it's just a silly joke, but it's actually a fascinating new way to play this really cool game. If you don't want to download the PDF, here's the complete set of rules for 7 Blunders.

1. All the normal rules for 7 Wonders apply, except where they're overridden by the following rules.
2. The winner is the player with the lowest score.
3. You may not discard a card for coins unless you have no other legal play. You must show your hand to another player (usually the one that passed the cards to you), so that they can confirm that you're stuck, before you may throw the card.
4. When you build something, you must use the least expensive (spend the fewest coins) option possible. So: use your own resources before buying from neighbors. Buy resources from you trading post neighbor before going to your other neighbor. Et cetera.

It's that simple. Bwa ha ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this just might give some people in my group a fighting chance. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
snarke wrote:

Another way you may have lost a regular game of 7 Wonders is by wasting your time and energy over-buying military. Aha! Just get a preposterously large pile of military! Once you're 'winning' that, every extra military card does you no good at all. Alas, even if you could manage to just take the 18 points for that, you might not have a winning score, and it's very difficult to avoid picking up at least a couple more points along the way.

And then there is Byzantium. Peace loving Byzantium. Byzantium the wonder that can almost grantee ducking out of military twice. Byzantium the only wonder that forces you to pick between 2 different strategies. Byzantium the only Wonder I've ever played and not built a single stage of my Wonder, not because I couldn't, but because it would have cost me points to do so.

Byzantium would have no problem buying tons and tons of red cards since it can simply negate it's giant military with its peace tokens (likely taking only 2 points in military regardless of how many red cards it buys)

On a side note "losing to win" variants are always fun plus can cut down on normal play time. We used to play a similar version of chess called "Take Me". Rules were simple. Basically if you can take an opponent's piece you must and if you have only your king left you win. However you can also win by checkmating the opponent so if you weren't careful and got rid of your pieces too fast you could find yourself checkmated the traditional way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we play this game alot and I think my group would have fun playing this way, thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha. I might have to try it. I guess it shows how well-built this game is that it is hard to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
surprisingly this sounds like a lot of fun! I'll check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I played this last night and had a blast. I recommend removing Byzantium because the "build up your military and then do nothing but camp diplomacy" strategy is too strong.

Quick question:
We house-ruled it that when you get to choose science symbols (from the science guild or the hanging gardens), you MUST choose the symbol that nets you the most points. How do you feel about that as a house rule? I could really go either way, but my friends felt it was appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Snipafist wrote:
My friends and I played this last night and had a blast. I recommend removing Byzantium because the "build up your military and then do nothing but camp diplomacy" strategy is too strong.

I've made no secret of the fact that I think Byzantium is a garbage wonder normally and you know there must be something wrong with it if you need to remove it from this variant because it is overpowered at trying to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Snipafist wrote:

I've made no secret of the fact that I think Byzantium is a garbage wonder normally and you know there must be something wrong with it if you need to remove it from this variant because it is overpowered at trying to lose.
I loled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Howell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch. Yea, I do believe you're right, that you have to score variable science as well as you can. It's consistent with the other rules. I'll add it to the rule set. Well, one of these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snarke wrote:
Ouch. Yea, I do believe you're right, that you have to score variable science as well as you can. It's consistent with the other rules. I'll add it to the rule set. Well, one of these days.

Actually, we changed our minds on this one. Being forced to score maximum science went against the other optional choices in the game where you can choose the least bad option and it made science a particularly bad trap to find yourself in. Now Blunders is a fun variant and finding your best plans falling apart around you is part of that fun, but science was such a particularly horrible trap that we found the "you must choose the most points" option to be even worse.

Other things we've banned:

Nebuchadnezzar (the leader with the Mausoleum dumpster diver effect): Playing him as your first leader does absolutely nothing.

Maecenus (the free leaders leader): Playing him as your last leader does absolutely nothing and is safe to do every time.

Other changes we've made:

If a torn coin is played, players must sacrifice coins if possible. You cannot choose to keep coins and just take negative victory points. These cards were too harmful to consider playing in Blunders with your opponents having the option to take negative points instead of cash damage, so we amended that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sundt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
www.fictionontheweb.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in my gaming group tried this and said "It was amazing" - "Amazing, well worth trying if you have a group of 7 wonders veterans for whom the game has gone stale." - "We all felt excited to be playing it again which was cool. Has given a new lease of life on that game for our play group."

Now I want to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I played this tonight (having never heard of it before), and it was fantastic! A friend of mine played it at PAX Unplugged over the weekend and is now hooked on it.

Great variant, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebearded
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo the others' sentiments: this is an amazing variant! I played it with some friends the other day, who are mostly vets of 7 Wonders and all big gamers. We LOVED it! It's a heck of a challenge trying to schluff your way to victory and pass on all the point cards to your neighbors. It's much like shooting the moon in Hearts or trying to avoid going over your bid in Spades or Oh Hell - you're trying to force the other people to "win," and thus, you win! Very fun element of "screw thy neighbor" that doesn't feel screwy at all. We had a blast! Thanks for thinking this up.

By the way, I finished in 2nd place with 15 points. The winner got 10 points. I would have tied him at 10, but the 2nd stage of my wonder gave me 5 points, and the second stage of his gave him something innocuous. However, my strategy was to get as many resources as possible so that I could choose what cards to buy and what to pass up. I ended up with 6 points for 18 coins at game end. HIS strategy was to get as FEW resources as possible. Completely contrasting strategies finishing first and second! Now that's balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls