Popular Tags: [View All]
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2005 Good Gift Game Guide by Matthew Baldwin can be found at:

http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/guides/the_2005_good_...

Now let me stir the pot a little:

Why is there no reference to BoardGameGeek or Boardgame News in the article? Is it an oversight? A matter of preference? A matter of policy? Or a personal choice by the author?

It seems to me that any article about boardgames would direct interested readers to the premier boardgaming web sites on the Internet as a matter of course.

But this article doesn't do that. I wonder why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim, Every item has a link to BGG and a purchase link to Funagain. Did you see those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Baldwin is the man responsible for me discovering the wonderful world of modern boardgames.

It was around this time last year that I, weary from the tired videogame market, got an itch. An itch for boardgames. Like many, I was not very knowledgeable but knew I wanted something more interesting than Monopoly or Cranium. "Risk!" I thought to myself, "Risk is a boardgame that I will be able to enjoy with adults!"..... I made a mental note to pick up a copy of Risk at my local Target but, for some reason, a little voice in the back of my mind was nagging me that Risk never really was that great. Coincidentally, around this time I followed a link to the 2004 GGGG and got completely geeked (no pun intended) over the games described in it. THAT was what I needed!

Eventually that led me to the geek and to my steadily growing game collection.

As a bonus I also checked out defectiveyeti.com because of the article and I have to say that Matt is funnier than a burning nun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Carlson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimbo wrote:

It seems to me that any article about boardgames would direct interested readers to the premier boardgaming web sites on the Internet as a matter of course.

But this article doesn't do that. I wonder why not?

I would disagree. BGG and BGN are both somewhat "intensive" sites about board games. If a relative of mine asks what game they should get their children, I almost never send them over to BGG or BGN. To some extent, that is too much information.

Many game gift lists (such as my own) are meant to be a guide to the readers and are focused on reaching out to the non-board game player. Adding BGN or BGG as a reference may be overkill. For an article about the state or health of the hobby it would be totally appropriate. For gift reccomendations, not so much.

After all, the guide might be used by someone not interested in board games in order to buy a gift. I don't see that type of person deriving too much effective use of the resources BGG or BGN have to offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Kim, Every item has a link to BGG and a purchase link to Funagain. Did you see those?

Well Dang... I guess I didn't see the "more info" links. I just scanned the article for the game names and then looked for a specific link to BGG. I did see the links to the online game stores at the bottom of the article...

Okay, so I may have "jumped the gun." Apologies to any toes I may have stepped on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.