Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a two player game to give to my brother in law for Christmas. I've had one gamer tell me that Tally Ho! is their favorite two player but I've heard a lot of good things about Lost Cities. It is going to a family of gamers who are just looking for some two player games. Let me know what you think would be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I really enjoy both, although I think Tally Ho! is the better game of the two. LC seems to have less skill involved, just some minor tactical things, and a bit of bluffing and trying to read your opponent. Tally Ho! seems very luck driven, and yes, some games of it are decided merely by the tile distribution. However, you usually get one really interesting board position every game. It's as if you flip over tiles for a while, and then suddenly a miniature chess game breaks out. Not too deep, but enough to be really interesting. I think for more serious gamers, I'd go with TH!. On a side note, I've also heard many a good thing about Jambo, although I don't know it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
With all respect due, I disagree with Matt. I prefer Lost Cities, because the random distribution of cards is much easier to overcome than a random distribution of tiles. I've only played about 3 games of Tally Ho!, but in 2 of them, the bears were stuck behind the trees.

Lost Cities has some great tensions, but Tally Ho!, less so. For me, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Tally Ho and have played it and Lost Cities. If they are looking for a game to play with their kids, I would suggest Tally Ho. If it's going to be two adults mostly, I'd suggest Lost Cities. Kids tolerate the randomness of the Tally Ho setup better than adults who like strategy games; however, LC has more replay value for two adults, especially a man and woman, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
If he likes card games (especially Gin or Cribbage), I'd go with Lost Cities. If he likes Chess or Othello, go with Tally Ho. If he's a Monopoly fan, go with Jambo. How's that for pigeon-holing??? I also think Carcassonne is a great "gateway" two player game that can also be played with more players.

My preference is Lost Cities and I think it has more strategy than Tally Ho, but this might be my card game bias.

Edit: I agree that Tally Ho might be better with kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Isaac that Lost Cities has a bit more tension. It comes in the form of deciding when to play a card and in hoping to get the right cards as the draw deck gets lower and lower.

I agree with everything Matt said about Tally Ho! It is a quick tactical game with a good dose of randomness.

I like Tally Ho! quite a bit more than Lost Cities, but according to the ratings and comments here, I am certainly in the minority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I picked up LC last month and we enjoy the game. It's not her favorite but I do like it cause it plays quickly, has some nice tension moments in deciding when to play and how to play it. I've never played TH though so I can't comment on that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
If he's a Monopoly fan, go with Jambo.

How's that?

Personally, IMHO Jambo is far more interesting than LC. Not played TH tho. LC is glorified Rummy with a 5 suit deck of cards (heck, there's even 13 in a suit, numbered 1-10 and three court cards... ahem, 'handshakes'.) Its ok, but theres more lasting depth and variety of play in Jambo...

Agree with Carc tho also. Plays 2 very well and more if needs be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about tally ho! because I've never played it but I can tell you one thing about Lost Cities's alleged randomness: played a few games in BSW yesterday and lost by a huge advantage to a very good player with a very good win percentage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
As good as Lost Cities is, since I picked up Battle Line, it doesn't get played anymore. I find Battle Line to be just as easy to learn, but deeper in strategy and with tougher decisions. It's just as light, though, and palys in 15-20 minutes, at the most, once you have the rules down pat.

Still, you can't go wrong with Lost Cities. Have fun!

(alternatively, there's Wallenstein...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Lost Cities or Tally Ho! but I have played Jambo. I really like this game. It's like playing an exciting game of magic the gathering but without that feeling of dread you feel when you think of all the money you have spent/wasted on the cards in your deck. Lots of fun, great replay value, I can ply this game all day (and the games a fairly quick, around 30 minutes each). The endgame rule that gives your opponent one last chance to outscore you makes for some great endings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both Lost Cities and Tally Ho! and I find Lost Cities to be the better game. However, being very simple games, both can wear out their welcome if played regularly. Lost Cities, especially, is very addictive at first.

Of the Kosmos line, I've found Babel to be the one that has stood the test of time the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to reiterate, this is a gaming couple (they're the ones who introduced me to Puerto Rico). I already have Caracssonne and want some variety when I go to their house. I will have to look at Babel and Jambo, though, I must admit I cringe when I hear that a game is like Magic the Gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've never played MtG, and would probably also cringe, but its a long way from wizards in my book...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Campbell
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good one to consider is Kahuna. It's a fairly abstract, but it's easy to learn, and there's a good deal of strategy packed into a small package. You can try it out online at http://www.yucata.de/ ; I've heard the designer, Günter Cornett, plays on there a lot. I also like Odin's Ravens, though I don't think it's as good as Kahuna. From what I've heard about the other games in the line, it sounds like there are really an awful lot of good games in the Kosmos 2-player line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because a game is simple doesn't mean that gamers won't like it.

As for the Magic the Gathering comparison to Jambo...maybe it was not a very good one. Jambo has many of the fun mechanics of MtG (cards that give special abilities, cards that counter these, etc. you never know what your opponent has waiting for you). The games are exciting and quick. The rules are simple (the rules for special cards being printed on the cards themselves). You won't be flipping through rules with this game. Simple, elegant, fun, pretty cheap, how can you go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pitris wrote:
I can tell you one thing about Lost Cities's alleged randomness: played a few games in BSW yesterday and lost by a huge advantage to a very good player with a very good win percentage...

I'm not sure what to really make of BSW and win rates, but the top players of LC there generally win about 60% of their games. Contrast this with a rate of about 75% for Tally Ho/Halali.

Further comparisons (2-player only) include: rates of 85+% for Attika and Carcassonne, and 75-80% for Transamerica, Yinsh, Streetsoccer, San Juan, St. Petersburg. I didn't go further, but just looking at this metric (and yes, it isn't perfect), LC may have the *lowest* "skill rate" among all BSW games.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics, I know, but I think it's clear that LC has a *lot* of luck, even compared to TH. Which is not to say LC is a bad game (I dislike it and would not recommend it to anyone, but that's largely beside the point, and not really so much for the luck issue), but I'd hate to see the notion that LC is a game of skill in the same sense as any of these other fine 2-player games gain any traction here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add my recommendations:

Attika (great with 2, less so with more, but...nice to have the option)
Any of the Gipf games (but of course they're pure abstracts)
LOTR: Confrontation
Blue Moon
Jambo
Dungeon Twister
Starship Catan
San Juan (scales to 4)
Domaine (again, scalable)

Never been that impressed with much of the Kosmos line, really. Not that they're bad, but they just never have much spark for me. Jambo is an exception. And Lost Cities...eesh, don't get me started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.