Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm away from Geekbadginess, and I'm wondering how people do all the coll things they do with their badges.

For that matter, how do you do stuff like animate your avatar? To tell you the truth, I'm not too big on obtrusive, invasive, or distracting avatars, but it might be amusing if my avatar drew his gun at you once in a while or something.

Replies appreciated!

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran F G
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
Café Race is a race game set in a business office. The players take the role of office workers going upstairs to the first floor to get a cup of coffee who then improvise a race while they are going back downstairs… with a cup full of coffee.
badge
Someone you trust is one of us. Fnord. - Ich bin ein Spielfreak, aber ich spiele sehr selten
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
how do you do stuff like animate your avatar?

Animated gif. -> http://www.gifanimations.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never seen an animated gif in about 2 or 3 years. Install web developer extension for firefox and go to Disable and check Disable Image Animations for pure browsing heaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I like animated gifs. I wouldn't want to disable them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a discussion on Uberbadges:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/55700

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
Never seen an animated gif in about 2 or 3 years. Install web developer extension for firefox and go to Disable and check Disable Image Animations for pure browsing heaven.

A better option is to leave them, but hit the "escape" key if they annoy you. That stops the animations on the page. For "repeat offender" images (say, the Storm Trooper animation) I "adblock" the specific avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For that matter, how do you do stuff like animate your avatar? To tell you the truth, I'm not too big on obtrusive, invasive, or distracting avatars, but it might be amusing if my avatar drew his gun at you once in a while or something.

It's basically like making a cartoon. You make a bunch of still frames and then have them play in rapid succession. I use Photoshop to make the images, and then I use ImageReady to make the gif that plays all of those images in sequence. Making your dude draw his gun would probably take 5-10 images, and then it's just a matter of displaying each frame for the correct amount of time to make those images into an animation. Lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:

SWEET!!!! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use ImageReady as well. My current avatar was hand-animated (actually, there really isn't much animation), but my last one (Anime Strong Bad) was captured with a screenrecording software as an AVI, converted to animated GIF, then tweaked in ImageReady to cut it down to a slightly more download-friendly size. (I removed about 1 in every 3 frames and cut down the color pallet.)

My current project is an animation of a Carassonne tile where an Abbey gets imploded and a McDonald's built in its place. (I was going to do a Starbucks, but I can't find a single stand-alone location via satellite in Google Maps...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Nekura wrote:
I was going to do a Starbucks, but I can't find a single stand-alone location via satellite in Google Maps.

In Bellevue WA, on NE 8th St. Between 156th Ave NE and 158th Ave NE. (The small building with the dark roof.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
In Bellevue WA, on NE 8th St. Between 156th Ave NE and 158th Ave NE. (The small building with the dark roof.)

SWEET! Thanks! (Starbucks was way funnier...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bat that can do anything, Excalibolg!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so did I spell that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the final result:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I can't EVEN get a ''non-animated'' AVATAR 'changed' and THISSsss... 'happens'! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.