Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got permission from Fred Schachter to post this playtest report for Conquest of Paradise:

"Actually, we got TWO playings of Conquest of Paradise under our belts during this past weekend’s JAG meeting.

"The first contest was a three-player, with two newbies and a veteran JAG CoP Player.  The newbies were a couple of teenagers and had so much fun playing that they asked if I’d be bringing Conquest of Paradise to the next club meeting… high praise indeed. This game, after an initial spree of exploration, became one of military confrontation.  Plenty of battles… some with as many as twelve attacking pieces.

"I played in the second four-player game as Tonga with the two youngsters (who did really enjoy CoP!) and a JAG Veteran.  One of the kids immediately attacked me and captured my homeland… reducing my income to two Villages on Hawaii, which I was fortunate to find.  I soon got Rapa Nui in proximity and used those two Island Group Tiles to claw my way back to having a chance at survival… some moaning & groaning by yours truly and threats from the other two players of what they’d be forced to do if the kid totally knocked me out of the game helped.

"The kid and his friend were soon fighting it out in the center of the map with the veteran COP player, who also lost his homeland of Samoa to the Kid.  He eventually commenced his own comeback by going after the Independent Island Groups.

"As for me, I found two more Island Groups in my little corner of the map, one of the three-village-slot Mythical Islands and a two-Village-slot regular Island Group, which I kept face-down with “Discovery” markers atop them.  My only showing tiles were Hawaii and Rapa Nui.

"Every Turn, with but 1 or 2 exceptions, I purchased a card.  Did not once attack anyone and kept a low profile.  When one of the Kids revealed 21 VP’s in an attempt to win the game, I turned my cards over to reveal a total of 23 VP’s which included two “Cancel Attack” cards, the Rapa Nui 3VP Special and a “Mythical Island” 2VP Special.  I was lucky to get those two Island tiles and the corresponding cards… but it was a good lesson for the newbies demonstrating how one could win a Conquest of Paradise game without once attacking anyone!

"A fun time was had by all."

Thanks for your report, Fred!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.