Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karen Messenger
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a two player variant for Rheinlander that splits the board in half (rather than playing with ghost players).

The basic game follows the normal set up with the following exceptions:

1. Spilt the board in half - we've been using areas 1-28.
2. Use only cards 1-28, plus the joker.
3. Randomly place 4 churches, 4 castles and 2 of each city value (2, 3, 4).
4. Each player gets 25 knights.
5. Players hold 3 cards, rather than the usual 5.
6. Players get two bastions, rather than usual 3.

Game play progresses normally with the main exception being a new rule for the archbishop. When a player controlling the archbishop plays a card to convert one of his opponent's knights, the knight is replaced with a neutral colored knight (i.e. one of the 3 unused knight colors). The opposing knight is returned to its owner as before. The archbishop player can also convert a neutral knight to his own color, in the usual manner.

Notes:

Why a half board? To get the right density of knights with 2 players, you'd have to have about 40 each. It's too annoying to use two different colors. We've found that using all 25 knights on about half the board is about right (we've tried 20 each, but that felt like too little -- the games were over prematurely).

Why hold 3 cards instead of 5? Because with 5 cards on a half board, you double the freedom of action. Much of the tension in the game comes from the limitations imposed by your hand. We wanted to preserve that tension.

Why the change to the archbishop rule? We tried a few games with the original rules, but the games were decided early on -- whoever controlled the archbishop would dismember their opponent, who would die a slow death. Not fun. In the multi-player game, people can gang up on the archbishop to balance things out. But in the 2-player game, the archbishop power is simply too great -- it needed to be toned down.

Why 2 bastions instead of 3? Again, in order to maintain the right "bastion density" on a half board, there needs to be half the number of bastions available. In a 3-player game, there are 9 bastions available. So, 4 bastions is about right for a half board.

The game lasts about 30 minutes with our changes, and has become one of our favorite 2-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't anger the ghost players. They get spooky when they're mad.

Interesting. I'll have to give this one a try. Did you post this to the Rheinlander forums too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. I placed Rheinlander on my Christmas list, and there is a very good chance that I'll be seeing it under the tree. I'll print this out and try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a very good variation, Chuck. I agree that the board needs to play tighter with 2 people and it seems you've adjusted everything to do just that. I hope you've added this to the game page.

Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Messenger
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I wasn't sure where to post. I also copied it to variants in the Rheinlander forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.