Popular Tags: [View All]
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel's recent review has piqued my interest in Kemet. His enthusiasm is really contagious!

So I downloaded the rulebook from the official website... and was amazed at the length of the rulebook! Eight (8) pages! Wow! Even with the 4 pages card index, that's 12 pages. Really?

That is impressive for a game that look this epic!

I cannot appreciate this enough. The number of "massive" rulebooks I've read in the past few months are crazy.

Mage Wars 45 pages
Earth Reborn 44 pages
Mage Knight 20+20 pages
Netrunner 33 pages
Eclipse 30 pages
Mice & Mystics 22 pages
Descent 22 pages
Archipelago 20 pages
Cosmic Encounter 15 pages
Kemet 8+4 pages

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matagot Contact
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks !

That actually one of our guidelines. The games we publish can be explained in no more that 8 pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that! More games could use such guidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Collins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have really small writing?

But seriously though, that's good news. Easier to introduce to new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimTree wrote:
Does it have really small writing?

But seriously though, that's good news. Easier to introduce to new players.

It's not that small.

And the game is really good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Luiz Carvalho
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matagot_contact wrote:
That actually one of our guidelines. The games we publish can be explained in no more that 8 pages.

That's a great guideline and Kemet is an awesome game!

However...

Albert Einstein wrote:
“Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.”

The rules aren't that great. They are pretty didactic, but many things are ambiguous, even if you read it ten times or more. Three of the players had read the rules before our first game, but so many questions came up during play and we just couldn't get a clear definite answer from the rule-book.

We are all experienced players and this was the first time this happened to any of us. There is a FAQ on BGG's files section which helps, and another FAQ on Matagot's French website. However, these do not cover all the doubts we had.

Usually, FAQs are made of pretty redundant questions which could be easily and definitively answered by reading the rule-book carefully. This is not the case here. The FAQs provide answers from the game designers which one could not figure out by simply reading the rule-book.

There are also translation issues which could mislead some people. This includes the FAQ available on BGG, unfortunately.

This is a great game, but it really needs a revised rule-book ASAP.

QC also seems lacking. I've seen many people complaining about missing or broken parts. Mine came without one of the creatures. Also, while each color is supposed to have their own unique troop sculpt, two of my blue troops were actually black troops printed in blue plastic. I've seen other people complaining about similar issues here on BGG.

It is also frustrating that the game does not came with player aids. But what is REALLY frustrating and inexcusable is that it only comes with one copy of the cards/tiles index. It is impossible to plan your strategies without looking at these --- specially in your first few games --- and sharing this one copy is not a viable option, as analysis-paralysis would be unbearable. We quickly realized that I would have to print copies of these for each player before we could continue playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.